How do Riedells hold up in use? | Golden Skate

How do Riedells hold up in use?

Diana Delafield

Frequent flyer
Medalist
Country
Canada
My partner and our new friends at our club who are going to introduce us to roller dance all descended on my favourite skate shop today, looking for new boots for all. I wear Risport RF1s for the ice, but was told I need something a bit softer with more flexibility on quad wheels with no edges and more body/ankle lean required. I tried on RF3s and Royal Pros, but they weren't right -- either looser than my ice boots, or the tongue was too high. I have a permanent tender spot on one shin from an old injury and the tongue has to come up no higher than the top line of the boot. So I ended up ordering Risport Dance boots, with some doubts that they may be too low-cut for someone accustomed to higher boots on the ice.

My co-customers were still keeping their fitters busy, so mine suggested trying a pair of Riedell 2010 Fusions that they had ordered in for a woman with, apparently, more money than sense. She'd paid the non-refundable deposit for three different makes and models of boots so she could take them home and wear them around the house to test the fit. (Oh for the money to be able to do that!) But when they arrived, she decided she didn't want the Riedells after all, they being too stiff for her. And they were my size, 4AA. Feeling like Goldilocks and the Three Other Skaters, I tried them on. Loved them! But....$1,038.99 in Canadian dollars. Slyly, my fitter said they'd subtract the substantial deposit their first buyer had paid, and "take some more off since technically they're used skates on resale, although never worn". (I suspect the fact that I'd herded in a group including two spend-happy new customers had something to do with this kind offer ;).)

My fitter breathed reverently, "These are the boots Piper and Paul use!" but that's not too relevant to my over-the-hill pairs skating :). They're too stiff for roller dance, but I thought I'd hang onto them so as to have new boots ready when my Risports pack it in. I do wonder though, if they're still going to fit so well after some use? Anybody know if they hold up well or not? What sometimes happens to my boots is the lining flattening rapidly, and then the boots become too loose.

Thin feet (163 cm, 50 kg), with high arches and Egyptian toes. Skating about 10 hours a week at sort of weak novice pair level by our age now, spending more time on double jumps and throws so as not to lose those skills, and then doing lifts for fun, so my boots get a fairly flexible workout.

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
My partner and our new friends at our club who are going to introduce us to roller dance all descended on my favourite skate shop today, looking for new boots for all. I wear Risport RF1s for the ice, but was told I need something a bit softer with more flexibility on quad wheels with no edges and more body/ankle lean required. I tried on RF3s and Royal Pros, but they weren't right -- either looser than my ice boots, or the tongue was too high. I have a permanent tender spot on one shin from an old injury and the tongue has to come up no higher than the top line of the boot. So I ended up ordering Risport Dance boots, with some doubts that they may be too low-cut for someone accustomed to higher boots on the ice.

My co-customers were still keeping their fitters busy, so mine suggested trying a pair of Riedell 2010 Fusions that they had ordered in for a woman with, apparently, more money than sense. She'd paid the non-refundable deposit for three different makes and models of boots so she could take them home and wear them around the house to test the fit. (Oh for the money to be able to do that!) But when they arrived, she decided she didn't want the Riedells after all, they being too stiff for her. And they were my size, 4AA. Feeling like Goldilocks and the Three Other Skaters, I tried them on. Loved them! But....$1,038.99 in Canadian dollars. Slyly, my fitter said they'd subtract the substantial deposit their first buyer had paid, and "take some more off since technically they're used skates on resale, although never worn". (I suspect the fact that I'd herded in a group including two spend-happy new customers had something to do with this kind offer ;).)

My fitter breathed reverently, "These are the boots Piper and Paul use!" but that's not too relevant to my over-the-hill pairs skating :). They're too stiff for roller dance, but I thought I'd hang onto them so as to have new boots ready when my Risports pack it in. I do wonder though, if they're still going to fit so well after some use? Anybody know if they hold up well or not? What sometimes happens to my boots is the lining flattening rapidly, and then the boots become too loose.

Thin feet (163 cm, 50 kg), with high arches and Egyptian toes. Skating about 10 hours a week at sort of weak novice pair level by our age now, spending more time on double jumps and throws so as not to lose those skills, and then doing lifts for fun, so my boots get a fairly flexible workout.
They should work for you if you want a 90 stiffness that is, hearing your foot style, they should work. I used to wear these at one point for dance and loved them until my feet changed with age and all the torture of many years of competing.

I'd love to know ( you can PM me this) what he's charging you for them with the discount? B/c Riedell has them listed for 809 dollars.

Diana Delafield

Frequent flyer
Medalist
Country
Canada
They should work for you if you want a 90 stiffness that is, hearing your foot style, they should work. I used to wear these at one point for dance and loved them until my feet changed with age and all the torture of many years of competing.

I'd love to know ( you can PM me this) what he's charging you for them with the discount? B/c Riedell has them listed for 809 dollars.
The price you're seeing is given in US dollars. The exchange rate to Canadian dollars varies, but I just checked Google and today that would be equivalent to $1,092.49CAD. If I were to buy something online from the States today, I would pay out an apparently much larger amount in my own currency but really the price would be the same. (Australian dollars, for instance, are usually an equivalent number to Canadian dollars and a similarly much higher number than the cost of something as quoted in USD.)

Relieved to hear the Riedells will work for me when I get around to needing them. I hadn't meant to buy two pairs of boots in one trip, but to be able to take those beautiful boots straight home with me was dazzling. I don't need new ones for the ice yet, but when I do...:love:.I think my feet have changed as much as they're going to with age, and remembering my mother, grandmother and great-grandmother, I won't be gaining any more weight. I gained about 10 permanent lbs over the years I was having my kids and that was it.

Actually, they also had my size of the Risport Dance boots in stock so I came home with two pairs, but now I have to wait a couple of weeks to get the wheels for the dance ones. A box of wheels. Somehow it hadn't occurred to me that you can't sharpen wheels, so when they wear down you have to replace them!