Skating 'Schools' and Philosophies | Golden Skate

Skating 'Schools' and Philosophies

GF2445

Record Breaker
Sometimes in discussions, you come across people saying that so and so skater were coached by so and so- who is from the so and so school of skating- like british, french, russian, canadian, american.

Can anyone demistify this for me?

Thanks.

Makkachin

On the Ice
Country
United-States
Super interesting question and I'm sure others will contribute more than I will, but there is a googleable jump technique that was pioneered by Gus Lussi (his students included Dick Button, for example), that teaches the skater to jump "up first" and then rotate. Delayed axels and other jumps were popular around this time. My coach taught this way when I was starting to learn single axels and my first doubles as a kid. She was one of the old-time coaches from the Dick Button era - I'm not sure if there are many of them around anymore still coaching.

Lussi was not American but to my knowledge this became known as an "American" technique, as opposed to the "Russian" technique which was associated with more prerotation on the ice (which was/is not considered a negative, simply a way to more easily get the triples around and start landing them) and quicker pull into the tight air position.

The "Russian" technique has really become more like the way everyone coaches/jumps now in our time of multi-rotation jumps but there may be nuances of different schools/philosophies that I'm not aware of.