US Oly/World/4CC Ice Dance teams | Golden Skate

US Oly/World/4CC Ice Dance teams

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
SAN JOSE, California (1/7/18) – U.S. Figure Skating announced today the ice dance teams who will compete at the Olympic Winter Games PyeongChang 2018 as part of the U.S. Olympic Figure Skating Team.

The ice dance team is Madison Chock and Evan Bates, Madison Hubbell and Zachary Donohue, and Maia Shibutani and Alex Shibutani.

Madison Chock and Evan Bates are the 2018 U.S. bronze medalists. They are the 2015 U.S. champions, 2016 World bronze medalists and placed eighth at the 2014 Olympic Winter Games in Sochi, Russia. After winning silver at both of their Grand Prix assignments this season, they qualified for their fourth-straight Grand Prix Final.

Madison Hubbell and Zachary Donohue are the 2018 U.S. champions. They are four-time U.S. bronze medalists and the 2014 Four Continents champions. They stood on the podium at both of their Grand Prix assignments this season, qualifying them for their third-straight trip to the Grand Prix Final. This is their first Olympic berth, following their highest U.S. Championships finish.

Maia Shibutani and Alex Shibutani are two-time U.S. champions and reigning U.S. silver medalists. They topped the podium at both of their Grand Prix assignments this season before earning bronze at the Grand Prix Final. They are the 2017 World bronze medalists, 2016 World silver medalists, and placed ninth at the 2014 Olympic Winter Games in Sochi, Russia.

Alternates for the 2018 Olympic Team have been named as Kaitlin Hawayek and Jean-Luc Baker (first alternate), Lorraine McNamara and Quinn Carpenter (second alternate), and Rachel Parsons and Michael Parsons (third alternate).

U.S. Figure Skating Announces Ice Dance Selections for World, Four Continents and World Junior Teams

2018 World Championships
Madison Chock/Evan Bates
Madison Hubbell/Zachary Donohue
Maia Shibutani/Alex Shibutani
Alternate 1 – Kaitlin Hawayek/Jean-Luc Baker
Alternate 2 – Lorraine McNamara/Quinn Carpenter
Alternate 3 – Rachel Parsons/Michael Parsons
2018 Four Continents Championships
Kaitlin Hawayek/Jean-Luc Baker
Lorraine McNamara/Quinn Carpenter
Rachel Parsons/Michael Parsons
Alternate 1 – Elliana Pogrebinsky/Alex Benoit
Alternate 2 – Karina Manta/Joseph Johnson
Alternate 3 – Julia Biechler/Damian Dodge
2018 World Junior Championships
Christina Carreira/Anthony Ponomarenko
Caroline Green/Gordon Green
Chloe Lewis/Logan Bye

Last edited:

Princessroja

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I'm really surprised by naming McNamara/Carpenter second alt instead of the Parsons. What possible reason could there be for that? They're both JW champions, but the Parsons have been far stronger over the last two seasons and placed higher at Nats. I mean, I like M/C rather better so I can't complain too much but... it really seems off to me. Can anyone shed any light on it?

zebobes

Final Flight
I'm really surprised by naming McNamara/Carpenter second alt instead of the Parsons. What possible reason could there be for that? They're both JW champions, but the Parsons have been far stronger over the last two seasons and placed higher at Nats. I mean, I like M/C rather better so I can't complain too much but... it really seems off to me. Can anyone shed any light on it?

I don't have the stats at hand at the moment, but the Parsons did not do great at their two GPs, and McNamara/Carpenter had pretty good showings at Senior Bs, and they beat the Parsons at a head to head at a local competition. I'm guessing it was the Body of Work coming into play.

Last season, the Parsons were much stronger, but current competitions are probably weighted heavier.

Princessroja

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I don't have the stats at hand at the moment, but the Parsons did not do great at their two GPs, and McNamara/Carpenter had pretty good showings at Senior Bs, and they beat the Parsons at a head to head at a local competition. I'm guessing it was the Body of Work coming into play.

Last season, the Parsons were much stronger, but current competitions are probably weighted heavier.

Oh, you're right. I just went and checked their fall comps and M/C had a much stronger GP. I had been thinking they'd done relatively poorly all season but they really haven't. That makes sense now, thanks!

cheerknithanson

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I'm SO excited for McNamara/Carpenter and the Parsons!!!! Eeeeeee!!!!! What's equally as exciting is that they'll have a chance to win their first ISU senior championships medal!

Except I realized it'll be happening the week I go back to school. Ugh.....

ice coverage

Record Breaker
I'm really surprised by naming McNamara/Carpenter second alt instead of the Parsons. ... the Parsons ... placed higher at Nats. .

One could argue that the Parsons' BOW could be considered very similar to McNamara/Carpenter's, depending on the weight of the tiers.

I would like to believe that it was a narrow decision as to who would be the second alternate and who would be third.

According to the Olympic selection criteria:

Tier 1: 2018 US Nats head to head: Parsons 5th; M/C 6th.

Tier 2: 2017 GPs (none head to head): Parsons 7th, 9th; M/C 5th

Tier 3:
2017 Challengers (none head to head): Parsons 2nd, 8th; M/C 5th, 8th, 2nd
2017 senior international head to head (LPIDI): Parsons 2nd, M/C 1st
2017 Junior Worlds head to head: Parsons 1st; M/C 7th
2017 Nats head to head: Parsons 1st junior; M/C 3rd junior​

I don't know what local competition you're talking about, but it would not have been part of the Olympic selection criteria.​

I like both couples. Hope they both do well at Four Continents :yay:.

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I didn't follow any of the junior events at USNats.

But I see that a favorite emerging team of mine, Christina Carreira/Anthony Ponomarenko, won as expected.

Did anyone see the junior event? What were your impressions?

Crossover

All Hail the Queen
Record Breaker
I haven't see the Junior Nationals yet. Carreira and Ponomarenko "were" my favorite junior team among all juniors (not only Americans) last season, but they were beaten to a Russian team at Junior GP Final this season who previously placed 4 or 5th at Junior Worlds where C/P won a bronze. I though the judges were on C/P's side, but they made costly mistakes, so no gold for them. Here, of course they are No. 1, but I have some issues with them.

I can't say C/P are progressing as a team although Christina, whose abilities not on par with Anthony, is vastly improved over a year. On the other hand, Anthony tried so hard to show himself off as a performer, but he added some cliche and distracting movements like unnecessarily spinning his head all the time and wiggling his upper body like a habit that should be discarded immediately. Those cliche don't add anything but distraction from their actual performing and lower the image

I wonder whether they can be competitive with the mentioned issues in seniors once they move up.

chameleon

On the Ice
They're developing well. I feel they've really coming together as a team, their programs are more complex, and their connection stronger. Personally I think their SD performance has only gotten better over the season so that's a matter of personal taste. They were the class of the field by some way at Nationals.

As for McNamara/Carpenter versus the Parsons, they were very close at Nationals, and M/C's last couple of international outings have been much stronger.