How to spin on the correct edge | Golden Skate

How to spin on the correct edge

Makkachin

On the Ice
Country
United-States
This is a coaching question more than anything. I've been coaching skating for a long time, mostly beginners through single jumps.

An issue I see a lot is that when learning spins, they will spin on the wrong edge. For forward spins, they are on an outside edge, and their back spin is on an inside edge.

I've tried explaining to them what edge they should be spinning on and why (A forward spin enters from a forward outside 3-turn, which ends on a backward inside edge. For back spins it's a forward inside 3-turn, which puts you on a backward outside edge) but this seems to go over their heads a bit. Could it just be that I'm describing it poorly?

I know how my coach in the past taught me to change edges while spinning (slightly rock back and then forward on the blade), and I've tried giving these kids the opposite advice (slightly rock forward and then back), but this explanation seems more suited to a more advanced skater.

I'm wondering if there's a way to teach this better in terms even younger kids would understand and if anyone here has experience with this or has any ideas. I haven't been able to find much information anywhere. Also, keep in mind that these are skaters who I teach in group lessons, not my own private students, so I have very limited time with them.

jf12

Final Flight
It sounds like they are spinning too far back on the blade. I agree that it isn't that helpful to teach beginners how to change edge back to the correct edge, since they don't have enough control, and it isn't usually that they're even doing a clean change edge spin in the first place - they're often just doing a bunch of 3 turns and not properly spinning at all.

I'm not a coach so take it with a grain of salt, but let's be real - a beginner is not going to hit the perfect front spin of a deep outside edge, hit the toe pick to make the 3 turn, and then settle right on the sweet spot. I would rather see a beginner hit the toepick, stay near the front part of the blade, and have a correct but scratchy spin, than get the bad habit of spinning too far back and never getting the feeling of getting stability after the hook. Once the scratchy spin person gets comfortable with it, its relatively easier for them to pull back a little and spin over the sweet spot.

cl2

Final Flight
Is it that they don't know what it's supposed to feel like to spin on the inside edge? Can they do a 2-foot spin and pick up the right foot? (Left foot for clockwise spinners.) On a 2-foot spin it's almost impossible to go on the outside edge, and it'll help them figure out what spinning on the inside edge is supposed to feel like. Especially with young kids, who may not have the psychological development to understand nuanced wordy explanations or logical reasoning, I would suggest going with simple explanations and break down the task into bits so that they reach the final task progressively. If it's something else that's causing the problem you can similarly break it down into achievable subtasks and build it up. Go less with expounding the Grand Theory of Skating, and more with motor skill development.

Makkachin

On the Ice
Country
United-States
Those are really good suggestions, thanks!

Is it that they don't know what it's supposed to feel like to spin on the inside edge? Can they do a 2-foot spin and pick up the right foot? (Left foot for clockwise spinners.) On a 2-foot spin it's almost impossible to go on the outside edge, and it'll help them figure out what spinning on the inside edge is supposed to feel like. Especially with young kids, who may not have the psychological development to understand nuanced wordy explanations or logical reasoning, I would suggest going with simple explanations and break down the task into bits so that they reach the final task progressively. If it's something else that's causing the problem you can similarly break it down into achievable subtasks and build it up. Go less with expounding the Grand Theory of Skating, and more with motor skill development.

Yes, you hit the nail on the head there - my biggest weakness as a coach is definitely talking too much and expounding the Grand Theory of Skating:dance2:

singerskates

On the Ice

Yes, you hit the nail on the head there - my biggest weakness as a coach is definitely talking too much and expounding the Grand Theory of Skating:dance2:
You'd make a fantastic coach for Adult Skaters. For kids, you should check out how Skate Canada teaches CanSkate ( Canada's learn to skate program). We teach each skill by a series of smaller steps using circuts.

SkaterX

On the Ice
I have a good forward spin but for some reason on my back spin I always go to the inside edge and I can't seem to correct it. I know I'm too far back on the blade but I'm having trouble correcting that as well. None of my coach's suggestions have really clicked and helped with this problem unfortunately.

Makkachin

On the Ice
Country
United-States
You'd make a fantastic coach for Adult Skaters. For kids, you should check out how Skate Canada teaches CanSkate ( Canada's learn to skate program). We teach each skill by a series of smaller steps using circuts.

Oh yeah, with the adults everything is a discussion! All ages learn better when they are spending most of the time doing the skill instead of talking about it, but adults love to talk. I definitely do, too

Princessroja

Record Breaker
Country
United-States

No kidding! As an adult skater, I'd love to have a coach who can really expound on the Grand Theory of Skating! It would work far, far better for me. My coaches do a fine job, but as a dance teacher I can definitely understand movement language in a way that little kids can't and I'd love, LOVE that in a lesson.

Makkachin

On the Ice
Country
United-States
No kidding! As an adult skater, I'd love to have a coach who can really expound on the Grand Theory of Skating! It would work far, far better for me. My coaches do a fine job, but as a dance teacher I can definitely understand movement language in a way that little kids can't and I'd love, LOVE that in a lesson.

Very true, I find that adults and older children really want to understand the mechanisms and the hows and whys of what we're working on, and exploring those kinds of things is fun for me.

I would love to coach more adult skaters. If you are ever in the New York/New England area I am available for lessons:biggrin:

Ghost

Spectator
I have a good forward spin but for some reason on my back spin I always go to the inside edge and I can't seem to correct it. I know I'm too far back on the blade but I'm having trouble correcting that as well. None of my coach's suggestions have really clicked and helped with this problem unfortunately.

Stand on one of the hockey lines feet together, then look down and imagine " looking over the ledge of a very tall building", as your slightly leaning forward you should "ride the rocker " to the toe picks, when the bottom toe pick slightly presses into the ice you'll be on the "ideal part of the blade " for spinning.
I use this drill to teach foot control in kids, so they can learn AND feel the rocker of the blade.

When doing the back spin think of lifting the heel up, and finding this "ideal part of the blade" while holding balance. This exercise will teach you foot control and you'll eventually through repetition feel how to controll the edges while spinning (( particularly outside edge for back spins))
When doing 1foot spin, or forward spin, have the kids "play with the rocker", lift and lower heel, so they can swap from inside to outside edges when spinning. (( older coaches use to teach "pushing foot forwards" to change to the outside edge for forwards spins))
If you have any questions on "drills" feel free to message me privately.

silver.blades

Medalist
Country
Canada
Try having your skaters just do the 3 turn to emphasize the spinning edge. I do this with my skaters all the time for the back spin. Do the forward inside 3 turn, to a back outside edge with the free leg in an 'h' position, then have them press off the back inside edge into the spin. It'll be difficult, but it will give them the feel of the back outside edge.