Medvedeva: "A silver is a silver" | Golden Skate

Medvedeva: "A silver is a silver"

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Medvedeva, who was undefeated for the past two seasons, claims that she is not disappointed with her silver medal. The skater who missed the 2017-18 ISU Grand Prix Final and Russian National Championships due to a foot injury prefers to focus on the positive things.

“My main victory is that I am standing here,” she explained. “For all athletes, but for me too, their performances improve from competition to competition. The bigger the break in competing, the worse it is. But I am happy, and when the whole audience is shouting your name, it is simply incredible.”

Good on her! Wonderful sportsmanship as well! :yes2:

“I did not feel the injury, everything has healed,” she added. “I was in a cast for three weeks. It was a removable cast. I want to say thank you to everyone who has been with me throughout this difficult period. Everyone has put in effort for me to be here today. I want to thank my fans and coach for their help. It’s almost a miracle that I’ve recovered so quickly. I’m happy that I’m back.”

More...

Here is wishing her good health next month!

Last edited:

rikaquegira

On the Ice
Medvedeva, who was undefeated for the past two seasons, claims that she is not disappointed with her silver medal. The skater who missed the 2017-18 ISU Grand Prix Final and Russian National Championships due to a foot injury prefers to focus on the positive things.

Good on her! Wonderful sportsmanship as well! :yes2:

More...

Here is wishing her good health next month!
Good for her! She's right. A silver is no bad at all, the important thing is that she's recovered fully and now she may train as hard as she can for the Olympics.
Good job and good luck!

Eeyora

Final Flight
I’m very impressed with Evgenia this week. I love her attitude, mindset and personality.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
She is the Queen.

I'm looking forward to seeing her at the Olympics. She's going to be in shape and more fierce than ever.

Alifyre

On the Ice
I may not be the biggest fan of her skating style, but I really have to commend Evgenia for her sportsmanship, her work ethic, and her overall dedication to the sport. It would be very easy for her to make excuses or blame her injury for the silver or put any other negative spin on it, but she chooses to focus instead on positives and say that this is where she is right now. After such a discouraging situation in such a crucial time, it's amazing she's been able to stay strong and stay competitive. I wish her the best of luck going into this olympic games.

starla16

Medalist
she has incredible work ethic, the reason she got injured in the first place and has good sportsmanship to all skaters. She may not be 15 years old now but should she be at 100% in Olympics, Medvedeva should still win.

Arriba627

TWO-TIME WORLD CHAMPION 🔥
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
She should use Michelle Kwan's line of "I didn't lose the gold, I won the silver!" :clap: Congratulations to her for performing so well after being off the ice for several months. She definitely has the warrior mentality!

Winry

On the Ice
She manage to skate a SB after an injury !!
That's a monster score after two month break!
Alina was clean while Evgenia wasn't, 6 point difference is not widely
If she came healthy and clean, she is gonna be Olympic champion

Sam L

Medalist
She lost the gold and the winning streak but she won a silver and a tonne of fans with her class and grace and grit. She is still a heavy favourite for the Olympics.

noskates

Record Breaker
I may not be the biggest fan of her skating style, but I really have to commend Evgenia for her sportsmanship, her work ethic, and her overall dedication to the sport. It would be very easy for her to make excuses or blame her injury for the silver or put any other negative spin on it, but she chooses to focus instead on positives and say that this is where she is right now. After such a discouraging situation in such a crucial time, it's amazing she's been able to stay strong and stay competitive. I wish her the best of luck going into this olympic games.

Totally agree. I don't like the backloaded programs and I'm getting tired of the hand over the head schtick, but this young lady is the ultimate professional. And she's darling! It truly is amazing that she was able to come back from her injury and look so solid.

Grin

Medalist
She also said that she put all her soul into that skate, I knew it already. I'm glad her presentation is improving

ancientpeas

The Notorious SEW
Record Breaker
This is one of the reasons I'm happy when skaters stick around for awhile. They learn so much by performing. I enjoyed her very much this weekend.

+3 GOE for the work ethic certainly.

plushyfan

Record Breaker
Country
Hungary
Her free skate was amazing yesterday. It was the best ever from her. I saw her passion, real emotions. :love:

Spirals for Miles

Anna Shcherbakova is my World Champion
Record Breaker
I wrote already in her fanfest on page 301, but molodiets Zhenya!! you are so amazing and you just keep improving!!

Nathan13

Medalist
Gold or Silver, who cares. I'm just glad to watch her skate again. Her Free Skate is a masterpiece and I just can't wait to see it on Olympic ice.

ejnsofi

Final Flight
I know not everybody loves her for the scores she receives or for her skating style but I think everybody can acknowledge the fact that she has very mature mind. Also she has incredible work ethic and great sportsmanship. We already saw skaters who after losing the medal acted like they were ready to blame the whole world for their lost thinking they deserved to win. Evgenia instead thanked her fans, congratulated her teammate and decided to learn from mistakes

anyanka

Record Breaker
I love her attitude, this is why she's so respected in the skating community.

I will also put this out there: she was a bit disappointed she didn't win, but I wonder if she said "spasibo" in the K&C when her results came up because - and this is my theory - she doesn't want to go into the Olympics as the overwhelming favourite. I think she saw what happened with Yulia in 2014, especially between the team competition and the ladies' event, and didn't want that kind of hysterical attention on her. It may be the case that if Alina was the co-favourite, that some of the pressure will be off. The Olympics are already the biggest pressure cooker event there is, she doesn't need more attention as "the favourite". It reminds me of Yuna in 2010, when she literally said "I would die for gold", which was how incredible the expectations were on her at the time. I got the sense that Zhenya was relieved yesterday, and realized that not winning gold this time isn't the end of the world. Hopefully this will help Zhenya relax and perform at her maximum in Pyeongchang.

Just my 0.02 ...

- - - Updated - - -

I know not everybody loves her for the scores she receives or for her skating style but I think everybody can acknowledge the fact that she has very mature mind. Also she has incredible work ethic and great sportsmanship. We already saw skaters who after losing the medal acted like they were ready to blame the whole world for their lost thinking they deserved to win. Evgenia instead thanked her fans, congratulated her teammate and decided to learn from mistakes

Yes, indeed!! I love that she looks out for Alina like a big sister.