Still, skate fit issues :( | Golden Skate

Still, skate fit issues :(

ViolVul

Spectator
After visiting 2 shops and hearing from the people at Risport, I still can't understand how to fix my fit problem. Consequently I'm not buying skates and instead I keep skating on my damages ones (!).
The length I need, it's measured and I know it. But the width is haunting me! I seem to do well on the ball area with standard widths, but everyone seems not to care or be able to answer about the area in between the ball and the heel. I made a little drawing because I'm not sure what that area is called. (https://sketch.io/render/sk-5ff9e0c1c27b5119b738a31562557aa0.jpeg)
So the issue is that with each single skate I have tried, I felt totally empty space in there. As said before ball of the foot was a-ok but that area was definitely empty and feeling unsupported. No one was able to answer my question and I'm running out of shops. Boot fitters seem to only carry standard sizes, otherwise I'd have happily tried on narrower skates, which instead they only get with special orders and once they order a pair I must keep them (i.e. no trying on before buying). Important to note is that they wouldn't even measure my ball of the foot, instead they only say my feet "look" like a standard with, but I have no numbers...
This is nonsense :( does anyone here understand what I mean and can offer advice?

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
After visiting 2 shops and hearing from the people at Risport, I still can't understand how to fix my fit problem. Consequently I'm not buying skates and instead I keep skating on my damages ones (!).
The length I need, it's measured and I know it. But the width is haunting me! I seem to do well on the ball area with standard widths, but everyone seems not to care or be able to answer about the area in between the ball and the heel. I made a little drawing because I'm not sure what that area is called. (https://sketch.io/render/sk-5ff9e0c1c27b5119b738a31562557aa0.jpeg)
So the issue is that with each single skate I have tried, I felt totally empty space in there. As said before ball of the foot was a-ok but that area was definitely empty and feeling unsupported. No one was able to answer my question and I'm running out of shops. Boot fitters seem to only carry standard sizes, otherwise I'd have happily tried on narrower skates, which instead they only get with special orders and once they order a pair I must keep them (i.e. no trying on before buying). Important to note is that they wouldn't even measure my ball of the foot, instead they only say my feet "look" like a standard with, but I have no numbers...
This is nonsense :( does anyone here understand what I mean and can offer advice?

The area that you sketched is the arch of your foot.

DO you have high arches or regular or flat?

That will make the difference.

If you have high arches you are going to have a hard time supporting them (I know I have them myself).

You could try a specially made insert for the footbed if that is the case, but it's really hard to understand what you are describing. It mostly sounds to me like you need a better fitter that knows what they are doing. And I'm highly doubtful that Risport is the issue here because they are fantastic with their knowledge and customer service (I have skated in Risport dance boots in the past).

ViolVul

Spectator
The area that you sketched is the arch of your foot.

DO you have high arches or regular or flat?

That will make the difference.

If you have high arches you are going to have a hard time supporting them (I know I have them myself).

You could try a specially made insert for the footbed if that is the case, but it's really hard to understand what you are describing. It mostly sounds to me like you need a better fitter that knows what they are doing. And I'm highly doubtful that Risport is the issue here because they are fantastic with their knowledge and customer service (I have skated in Risport dance boots in the past).

Oh!! Thanks, that is informative. No one has mentioned arches to me even once before you actually. I will mention that to the next shop I go to and ask for their input as well. The reason I was hearing from Risport was that I loved how my Etoiles supported, but since I didn't know exactly how to call my problem, I said my problem was width, which I imagine they interpreted as ball of the foot. But, I will try to use insoles then if they can help! Even though, I do think I have medium arches, but I will have to check if they actually are high, or something.

I do have another question, less bothersome, but still of interest. If I try any width skate, my toes will be cramped, even large width skates, and my toes don't look massive. On the other hand, the ball of my foot seems to correspond to standard/narrow width after measuring. Not sure what is the deal with this either!

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Oh!! Thanks, that is informative. No one has mentioned arches to me even once before you actually. I will mention that to the next shop I go to and ask for their input as well. The reason I was hearing from Risport was that I loved how my Etoiles supported, but since I didn't know exactly how to call my problem, I said my problem was width, which I imagine they interpreted as ball of the foot. But, I will try to use insoles then if they can help! Even though, I do think I have medium arches, but I will have to check if they actually are high, or something.

I do have another question, less bothersome, but still of interest. If I try any width skate, my toes will be cramped, even large width skates, and my toes don't look massive. On the other hand, the ball of my foot seems to correspond to standard/narrow width after measuring. Not sure what is the deal with this either!

You're welcome.

The other issue you're describing has to do with your toebox part of your foot being wider than the rest of your foot back to your heel. That's common and many of us wear split width skates to deal with it.