Chan: "I'm disappointed" | Golden Skate

Chan: "I'm disappointed"

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
“I am disappointed in myself mostly,” said the three-time World champion. I just don’t seem to get a break from the triple Axel and it’s something that I really had to work on really hard. I think I am the hardest working person when it comes to triple Axel. It wasn’t a natural jump for me. There is still tomorrow. I’ll just put all my effort into tomorrow (free skate).

More...

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
The great Brian Orser was dubbed "Mr. Triple Axel" he made this jump his trade mark. Even Kurt Browning says the Triple Axel is one of his favorite jumps and easiest for him. He also says that for some skaters the Axel is a struggle, you either love it or hate it. Unfortunately this is the case for Patrick, the Triple Axel is his nemesis. Even back when he was on top of his game landing quads he always managed to squeak out a decent Triple Axel, but it seems to have gotten away from him. I thought he skated a beautiful short,except for his fall on the Triple Axel of course. As always his wonderful agility on the blade shone through. I wish him the best in the long program.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
I missed his live performance but got caught later. The 3A is unfortunate since last season it seemed he had gotten a handle on it more. But he still has a lot to be proud of and his SP was marvellous other than that!! Hope he has a strong free to end his Olympic career.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
i would say skate clean do one triple axel and do it wellswitchit out for another triple lutz in the free. I watched him recently working on it. Ravi tried; Patrick tried and now Canada cried. We just want to see a clean skate because when he is clean the programme is just gorgeous; it sings, it resonates it makes you feel good - you don't need a lot of quads. But he needs to regain the beautiful quad toes - they are gorgeous when on.

TunaKeem

Rinkside
I feel for Patrick and going from the top to the middle over the course of a season must have been very difficult for him. I love his skating and his FS last season with the song Eric Radford composed for him was beautiful.

I can't help but find his comments this season in interviews to be a little like eh.... You see it when Nathan came along and he started adding more quads and he wasn't hitting them and then going on interviews and saying that quads are dangerous and nobody knows the long term effects, while true, ring to me like you tried it, you didnt get it and now you want to attack it because you can't do it. This interview, to discount others and say he is the hardest working person on the triple axel and saying it doesn't come naturally to him, like Yuzuru just from birth was able to rotate 3.5 times after jumping out his mother's womb just reads to me like a sore loser. His entire vibe this season from withdrawing from the GP circuit and the subsequent interviews just have irked me. I hope he has a great skate tonight but if he doesn't I hope he retires gracefully without anymore comments about the direction the sport is heading.

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
3 Olympics, 8 performances so far, and 0 clean Triple Axels. Perhaps in his 9th and final performance he can hit one.

millie

Medalist
3 Olympics, 8 performances so far, and 0 clean Triple Axels. Perhaps in his 9th and final performance he can hit one.

Patrick is a 2018 gold medalist in Team Event
2014 Olympic silver medalist in Men’s and Team Event
3time World Champion 2011, 12, 13
2 time Grand Prix Final Champion 2010, 2014
A 3 time Four Contintent Champion 2009, 2012, 2016
And a 10 time National Champion 2008-2014 and 2016-2018
In 2011 Patrick was named the recipient of the prestigious Lou Marsh Award as Canadian top athlete

Do he really need a triple axel? Can you name any other skater in men’s skating in this Olympics that has such an impeccable record in Figure Skating. Go figure.....Patrick wasn’t just a one trick pony like the OAR skaters. In one season out the next. Patrick is an icon to Canadian skaters. Triple axle or not. He won’t be remembered because he couldn’t do the triple axel....

chillgil

Match Penalty
In 2011 Patrick was named the recipient of the prestigious Lou Marsh Award as Canadian top athlete

Do he really need a triple axel? Can you name any other skater in men’s skating in this Olympics that has such an impeccable record in Figure Skating. Go figure.....Patrick wasn’t just a one trick pony like the OAR skaters. In one season out the next. Patrick is an icon to Canadian skaters. Triple axle or not. He won’t be remembered because he couldn’t do the triple axel....

https://giphy.com/gifs/comic-vine-yoda-G4ZNYMQVMH6us

lyndichee

Medalist

Talk about defensive. I don't think there was any intent to define him by his problem jump. It hopes that he will finally nail the 3A when it matters. Aka in a few hours. and yes Patrick does "need" a triple axel if he wants the results he dreams of. That doesn't meant he isn't a formidable skater and icon. They aren't mutually exclusive.

While I do love to meme, posts like these on forums are just plain condescending and unhelpful in discussion.

chillgil

Match Penalty
haha sorry the gif was more a reaction to the user going off about a user pointing out that Patrick's never hit a triple axel in the Games than it was about Patrick's accomplishments

amateur

Final Flight
I just wish I could see Patrick smile before this competition is out.
He looked so unhappy both before and after his SP skate. His expression seemed heavier than just "nervousness" before his skate, and with no positive change in that expression after his skate, it made it somewhat less pleasant to watch him, I found (though the actual skating was fine and lovely).
Even if he doesn't get the axel I wish he could shrug it off to at least some small degree, and find some enjoyment in the rest of the experience. (He did seem to manage this in the context of the team LP, at least).
Granted, it's very easy for me to suggest something like "shrug it off", and at least he's showing he wants to compete...
And of course feelings are more complex than what is seen on camera during a few short minutes.. But I felt sorry for the vibe he seemed to have yesterday.

millie

Medalist
Talk about defensive. I don't think there was any intent to define him by his problem jump. It hopes that he will finally nail the 3A when it matters. Aka in a few hours. and yes Patrick does "need" a triple axel if he wants the results he dreams of. That doesn't meant he isn't a formidable skater and icon. They aren't mutually exclusice.

I don’t want to come of as if I am arguing with you because I am no. I responded to Blades of Passion post to the effect that he was being cynical in his comment. Just read his comment again. Quote by BoP “3 Olympics, 8 performances so far, and 0 clean triple axels. Perhaps in his 9th and final performance, he can hit one”. I don’t know where he got his figures. I suppose after trying to figure out all the different scenarios on how Team Canada shouldn’t won the Gold, he miscalculated how many times Patrick tried the triple axel and failed...Go figure...Patrick don’t need the triple axel to prove what a great skater he was and is. It would be nice if he did.

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
He doesn't need the Triple Axel to be a good skater but that's not what we're talking about. It would be nice if he skated well in an Olympics just once, something he has failed to do so far. His skating in the Team Event was not deserving of being labeled Gold medal worthy, in terms of what that phrase has always meant. Whatever value you want to place upon it is up to you, but for others it's a rather empty title, seeing as how he skated poorly, was wrongly placed ahead of other skaters, and the competition itself was not conducted in a very sportsmanlike manner. Duhamel/Radford and Virtue/Moir deserve to be considered Olympic Gold Medalists, but Patrick not really.

It's kind of like looking at the term "college graduate", when one person had a 2.0 GPA and only got through because of being graded leniently on a final exam by a professor, while another person graduated with a 4.0 GPA.

ancientpeas

The Notorious SEW
Record Breaker
He doesn't need the Triple Axel to be a good skater but that's not what we're talking about. It would be nice if he skated well in an Olympics just once, something he has failed to do so far. His skating in the Team Event was not deserving of being labeled Gold medal worthy, in terms of what that phrase has always meant. Whatever value you want to place upon it is up to you, but for others it's a rather empty title, seeing as how he skated poorly, was wrongly placed ahead of other skaters, and the competition itself was not conducted in a very sportsmanlike manner. Duhamel/Radford and Virtue/Moir deserve to be considered Olympic Gold Medalists, but Patrick not really.

It's kind of like looking at the term "college graduate", when one person graduated with 2.5 GPA and another person a 4.0

And yet they both still have a diploma.

I'm glad you want Patrick to have a good skate. :agree: I concur. Clean skate for Patrick, please.

Ladskater

Record Breaker
We're all holding our breaths here in Canada. We just want to see him skate like the old Patrick, joyful, beautiful flowing edges, musicality, resonating with the fans in the stands - as Paul Martini says. He's skating to a masterpiece "Hallelujah" composed by one of Canada's late legendary poets Leonard Cohen. This piece alone deserves a clean, magical skate. Just leave us wanting more Patrick, that's all we ask! Hey if Patrick does make the podium that would be the icing on the cake!

:pray:

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Patrick, world champion, master of the blade, will always be taken seriously wherever he goes. May the skate gods be kind to him tonight. I would love to see a FS from him more beautiful than his previous best.

wonderlen3000

Final Flight
Patrick has many fine qualities and unfortunately during his peak seasons (2010-2012), the judges overlooked the flaw in his techniques and awarded him with +GOE, more than what he actually produced in competition. Same goes for some of his spins and other jumps.
If the judges were harsher on his 3A and score it properly, perhaps he would have seek help to correct his technique. I remember the first 2 years Patrick move to senior rank, he has 2 3A in his LP and even at that time, he only managed to hit 50/50.

Ladskater

Record Breaker
I hear what everyone is saying here about Patrick. My feeling is that his heart just wasn't in it. He even admitted that he thought about skipping the Olympics. I think there was that period when he was brilliant and he did elevate the men's discipline, but taking so much time off to regroup and find himself almost got him lost again. As Kurt said when Patrick made his comeback the guys were really stepping up their programs with quads. Skaters such as Nathan Chen came along and changed the field again. Maybe it's too little too late? I'm sure Patrick is relieved the pressure is off and he no longer has anything to prove. I just wish he could have put a really great effort in as this is his last Olympics. It was disappointing to see him give up so easily. I thank him for his past contributions to skating and wish him the best no matter what he chooses to do.