Hanyu: "My Only Motivation is the Quad Axel" | Golden Skate

Hanyu: "My Only Motivation is the Quad Axel"

zanadude

Medalist
Country
Japan
http://www.sanspo.com/pyeongchang2018/news/20180218/pye18021811390036-n1.html

Hanyu, next is the world's first "4 1/2 revolutions" and Olympic Threepeat! And plans for post-skating life.

Yuzuru Hanyu (ANA), aged 23, who at the Pyeongchang Games became the first men's skater to repeat as champion in 66 years, and Shoma Uno (Toyota Motors), aged 20, who won the silver medal in his first Olympic appearance, appeared together at a press conference today. Hanyu announced his intention to continue on in the sport and his desire to challenge skating's most difficult jump, stating "I got what I came for (the gold medal). My remaining motivation is the quad axel alone. I want to work towards the four and a half revolutions."

With a look of satisfaction, Hanyu spoke with the media in English. He revealed that he had been taking pain killers to deal with his right ankle injury,"If it was all smooth sailing, I wouldn't have won the gold." Regarding his post-skating career, Hanyu stated "I'd like to travel the world and help all people that are trying to become number one with all their might."

Uno stated "It still doesn't feel real, but I'm happy with my result of second.", and got laughs by saying "I'm not really thinking about treating the medal with importance. Anyone that wants to touch the medal is welcome to touch it."

If anyone can do it, it's him. :)

(And I'll bet it will be what Jin and Uno are after too. They can do it, too!)

Shay

Spectator
I've been waiting to see if Yuzuru Hanyu can do the quad axel. My money's on him doing it, and believe me I will lose it when he manages! He's such a fantastic skater.

Mista Ekko

Record Breaker
If he tries it with a regular entry, As opposed to his difficult 3A one it might actually work

draqq

FigureSkatingPhenom
Record Breaker
Uno: "Anyone that wants to touch the medal is welcome to touch it."
Fans: SQUUUUEEEEEEEE! *faints*

OS

Sedated by Modonium
Record Breaker
From King to Alien.. oh Hanyu... what are you doing to me lol...

draqq

FigureSkatingPhenom
Record Breaker
By the way, the Quad Axel is worth 15.0 points base value. And a +3 GOE Quad Axel is worth 18.6 points. Holy moly!

Just falling on the Quad Axel with full rotation is worth 10 points (with the -1 deduction), so it's basically the equivalent of a clean 4T.

shiroKJ

Back to the forest you go.
Record Breaker
Well, he's done everything else already so... :drama: (I wonder if that 4CC gold will elude him forever and he's destined for silver x4 :laugh:)

By the way, the Quad Axel is worth 15.0 points base value. And a +3 GOE Quad Axel is worth 18.6 points. Holy moly!

Just falling on the Quad Axel with full rotation is worth 10 points (with the -1 deduction), so it's basically the equivalent of a clean 4T.

Didn't the ISU want to lower the BV for quads?

nekun

On the Ice
Brian voice: 'Oh God, please don't...I don't want him to get hurt'

Please give mercy to Brian hair Yuzu

Metis

Shepherdess of the Teal Deer
Record Breaker
Well, he's done everything else already so... :drama: (I wonder if that 4CC gold will elude him forever and he's destined for silver x4 :laugh:)

If he can stay out of injury condition, I think he’ll win it eventually. Preferably on his own merits, but taking a more callous/realistic view: how many Worlds/Olympics/GP/etc. winners have we seen that are partially the result of a stronger competitor being in less than ideal shape for that event or missing it completely due to injury? (Yagudin having pneumonia at the 1998 OWG is one example that comes to mind.) As for ISU, who knows what they’ll do? I actually don’t have as much of an issue with the base value on quads as PCS being, functionally, ordinal rankings in a new coat of paint, which I suspect can be proved with some relatively simple statistical analysis.

I was honestly afraid Hanyu was going to announce he was done competing. His free skate really made it clear how much muscle he’s lost (been there... it’s awful, especially when all you want to do is what you love and just fly), and figure skating is not really conducive to long-term health. As long as he’s okay, though, and it’s what he wants (and frankly I think Orser is going to have to drag him off the ice at some point), then... well, awesome. The 4A plans just make me laugh, because of course that’s what he’s after, and if anyone in this cycle is going to land it in competition, it’s likely to be him.

Seriously, though, whenever he does Seimei, all I can think of is this, and now he’s just upped the mic-drop factor:
https://youtu.be/Zr2ocdw9_cg

draqq

FigureSkatingPhenom
Record Breaker

So far from what I understand, that's a proposal. I'm not sure if the ISU has yet to decide on whether they will indeed lower the value of the quad and triple Axel.

Metis

Shepherdess of the Teal Deer
Record Breaker
Given that he hurt himself badly on a 4Lz, I'd be worried about a career-ending injury if he trained a 4A.

Yeah, that’s my fear as well. I’d kind of prefer he never try the 4Lz again, but I’m sure he will. The risk/reward is gruesome.

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
Quad Axel is really not worth enough points for the difficulty it presents. I've never seen footage of someone actually rotating one sufficiently, much less landing it cleanly.

rikaquegira

On the Ice
Quad Axel is really not worth enough points for the difficulty it presents. I've never seen footage of someone actually rotating one sufficiently, much less landing it cleanly.
The point is... I doubt Yuzuru wants to do it for the points. He wants to do it for the challenge.