Hanyu: "My Only Motivation is the Quad Axel" | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Hanyu: "My Only Motivation is the Quad Axel"

rikaquegira

On the Ice
I'm not sure what to think of this...
I was hoping he would continue to skate(forever! lol) but at the same time I'm worried for him. He keeps challenging himself and ends up hurt. If he has a career ending injury one day that will be devastating for him(and for us fans). But I'm sure he knows the risks, he knows the consequences, he knows what he's doing.
So I'll just wait and see.
If someone can land a 4A might as well be Yuzuru Hanyu.

Diahpam

Rinkside
Quad Axel is really not worth enough points for the difficulty it presents. I've never seen footage of someone actually rotating one sufficiently, much less landing it cleanly.

I think yuzu is not after points for the sake of points or win alone..he just greedy of all the quads XD
But maybe for him, all the risks is worthed, even if it would end with career ending injury. The do or die mentality of his is always a nightmare for me .

Ophelia

Record Breaker
Yeah, that’s my fear as well. I’d kind of prefer he never try the 4Lz again, but I’m sure he will. The risk/reward is gruesome.

He won't stay atop for much longer if he doesn't add new quads to his repertoire. He will end up on the Patrick Chan route.

shiroKJ

Back to the forest you go.
Record Breaker
He won't stay atop for much longer if he doesn't add new quads to his repertoire. He will end up on the Patrick Chan route.

He knows his time is running out and that his body probably won't be able to keep up for long...

I don't think he even cares for another title, he said he's completely satisfied and has achieved everything he set out to do. The only thing keeping him in the sport is the eluded 4A. If he lands it before Beijing, he might even retire and skip 2022....:sad4:

akoko

Rinkside
I don't know for sure, of course, but I have a feeling that he already has a plan for his future that does not involve figure skating (academic or business). He will probably earn some money by skating at ice shows for a couple of years before entirely retiring from the skating world, but I think that is for his chapter 2. He is smart enough to know that he has a very small chance to win another OGM. Landing a quad axel is the only thing that allows his name to be engraved forever on the skating history (like Midori Ito). Even if he acheived another world record, it would be destined to be broken eventually. I hope I'm wrong, though.

Krislite

Medalist
This statement, more than a declaration of a actual goal, could be interpreted as a strong willingness to retire. Given that he's done everything now, pushing the boundaries of men's figure skating and defending an Olympic title, he's got little left to do. Only way up at this point is more difficult quads that nobody else has landed (quad Axel), which is near impossible. So he's not declaring a motivation so much as a lack of it. But if I'm wrong, well, that would quite something even to just see Hanyu attempt a 4A.

hippomoomin

Record Breaker
For some reason, with two Olympic titles, he does not appear to be as charismatic as Plush, or even Pat Chan and Takahashi. Maybe because he didn't have any memorable show programs? or he never appeared completely healthy/strong to me?

yexiu

Rinkside
This statement, more than a declaration of a actual goal, could be interpreted as a strong willingness to retire. Given that he's done everything now, pushing the boundaries of men's figure skating and defending an Olympic title, he's got little left to do. Only way up at this point is more difficult quads that nobody else has landed (quad Axel), which is near impossible. So he's not declaring a motivation so much as a lack of it. But if I'm wrong, well, that would quite something even to just see Hanyu attempt a 4A.

No, He really wants to land the 4A, he said that was his goal since he was little.

lyverbird1

Final Flight
I'm worried that instead of improving current quads, this is feeding into the rushing of more quads-quads-quads at the expense of other aspects of the sport. I don't welcome the news. I want the sport to advance and I'm not against technical advancement but the current pace of advancement is at the expense of injuries and artistry. So not thrilled.

narcissa

Record Breaker
I'm worried that instead of improving current quads, this is feeding into the rushing of more quads-quads-quads at the expense of other aspects of the sport. I don't welcome the news. I want the sport to advance and I'm not against technical advancement but the current pace of advancement is at the expense of injuries and artistry. So not thrilled.

The last person you should blame for "rushing into quads at the expense of other aspects of the sport" is Yuzuru, lol. And rest assured, if he wants to land the quad axel, it won't be at the expense of anything. He won't be satisfied with doing crossovers, landing a 4A, and calling it a day. There will be choreography, transitions, and a program to go with that.

lyverbird1

Final Flight
The last person you should blame for "rushing into quads at the expense of other aspects of the sport" is Yuzuru, lol. And rest assured, if he wants to land the quad axel, it won't be at the expense of anything. He won't be satisfied with doing crossovers, landing a 4A, and calling it a day. There will be choreography, transitions, and a program to go with that.

Read my post again and you'll see I'm not specifically "blaming" him. I said it's feeding into the rush towards more quads. I don't enjoy the prospect of that and I'm allowed that opinion, lol.

Lester

Piper and Paul are made of magic dust and unicorns
Final Flight
This is very exciting but I hope he takes at least a season off to heal properly!

FCSSp4

Rinkside

He tried it in practice with a harness this off season but the guy helping him said he didn't have to do anything (like lifting him for example). Back in his more reckless days he tried it in an ice show. He fell and it was UR but I strongly believe he will definitely go for it. People doubted him when he said he was aiming for a 2nd gold and I don't blame them for doubting him now, but certainly Hanyu himself doesn't doubt his chances.

FCSSp4

Rinkside
For some reason, with two Olympic titles, he does not appear to be as charismatic as Plush, or even Pat Chan and Takahashi. Maybe because he didn't have any memorable show programs? or he never appeared completely healthy/strong to me?

Maybe because he doesn't look like a typical champion at all. Very child-like and looks delicate off ice but I don't think there's anyone has mentally strong as he is. I think his charisma is different from others because eventhough he never looked completely healthy, he still managed to secure wins the men you mentioned weren't capable of. He is a new breed of skater. :) Not saying he's better, but he's different and perhaps the future of skating even when keeping in mind the young guys like Nathan and Vincent.

charlotte14

Medalist
And yet he is more famous worldwide than them even before the Olympics?
How can anyone NOT charismatic got 2000 Poohs throwing down the ice after he skated (yes the Korean organizers counted them)? He didn't have memorable show programs but he's so famous????? Logic????

BTW this guy from CNN seems to compare his charisma to some American athletes: https://twitter.com/Surume_imaru/status/965591030283190273