Bruno Massot's interview | Golden Skate

Bruno Massot's interview

Bruno Massot recently interviewed about his struggles with the French Federation. I found this link on another website. Apparently, there's a full article in French. Here's the most troubling excerpt:

I try to explain that sports life is not so simple, that there is a lot of politics around us and that it kills us. I'm trying to tell them my story so they understand why I left France. Even if I do not like to say it. I did not leave France ... There are so many things that I would like to say about, but, hey, I do not want to be attacked afterwards. I will simply say that when I had to choose between France and Germany, I listened to the proposals of the French federation and German and went to a country that offered me better living conditions, above all, and better learning conditions. Speaking about the conditions of life, I also talk about finance, because I lived with nothing. I lived for two hundred euros a month for eighteen months, when I was blocked. But (German) the federation paid me an apartment and gave me money for food, because with two hundred euros I could not do much. They paid for my training and my ice watch. I would never have got it in France. Never.

Article in Russian (Google translate to English works pretty well):
https://www.sports.ru/tribuna/blogs/darling/1624416.html

Full translation (found by Interspectator): http://chocktaw-salchow.tumblr.com/post/172083271003/translation-bruno-massot-i-would-have-never-had

Another excerpt:
The president of the French federation Didier Gailhaguet, congratulated you for your olympic title?

Yes. Twice. For the medal of course, and also for what I said in the media. It’s for that reason that I’m not sure if he will congratulate me after this interview… But hey, at some point, I am going to stop lying. It’s important to talk about these things. People have to open their eyes. That’s what I don’t understand: everyone knows Gailhaguet, everyone knows what he is like, but why is he still here? Now I am with Germany, so I am no longer scared of anything anymore [t/n: repercussions].

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Unfortunately the L’Équipe article itself is behind some sort of paywall, or I would have liked to read it. The first paragraph was fascinating.;)

In other transcriptions I have seen, Bruno does not mince words about the FFSG (French Fed). Good for him.

vavavoom

Rinkside
I have read some French posters in here on the forum not happy with how the French federation is conducting things.

That is why, I am not one bit surprised by Bruno's interview and at the end of the day, international pairs always have to choose one country over the other(s). Their Olympic win is in a way also a win for France and Ukraine, and both of these countries should be happy about it, along with Germany.

steiner

Rinkside
200 euros a month is astonishing. I'm glad he managed to get out and find a better situation in Germany.

SnowWhite

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
He also talks about how awful Didier is and that he doesn't have to be afraid of him anymore now that he's with Germany, so he finally feels he can be honest about it.

Colonel Green

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
He also talks about how awful Didier is and that he doesn't have to be afraid of him anymore now that he's with Germany, so he finally feels he can be honest about it.
The fact that Didier was not banned for life is utterly absurd, let alone that he continues to be in charge of French figure skating.

Interspectator

Record Breaker
http://chocktaw-salchow.tumblr.com/post/172083271003/translation-bruno-massot-i-would-have-never-had I found a full translation here.

This is a fascinating story for me, the story of Aliona and Bruno. This drama that they lived through to get to the Olympics and win is astounding. Their final triumph in the LP had so much effort and seemingly unrewarded patience behind it.
Bruno, for me was every bit as much of a star as Aliona. They were both so brilliant in that moment. :love: Whatever they decide to do next, I'm cheering for them.

Last edited:

iorii

On the Ice
I apologize I didn't follow this news before, but what is this 'letter of release' he talks about in the interview?

cruzceleste

Record Breaker
http://chocktaw-salchow.tumblr.com/post/172083271003/translation-bruno-massot-i-would-have-never-had I found a full translation here.

This is a fascinating story for me, the story of Aliona and Bruno. This drama that they lived through to get to the Olympics and win is astounding. Their final triumph in the LP had so much effort and seemingly unrewarded patience behind it.
Bruno, for me was every bit as much of a star as Aliona. They were both so brilliant in that moment. :love: Whatever they decide to do next, I'm cheering for them.

Thank you for the link.

This guy Didies is :curse: , to ask for money to release a skater, while submitting the guy to inhuman treatment.

I hope that in the next skating federation vote he lost...

ladyjane

Medalist
Country
Netherlands

So am I! Excellent interview, honest, and it makes those emotional moments by both of them even more moving than they already were. They can be really proud of themselves, even if they aren't as prepared for Worlds as they should be (he states that somewhere in the interview too). They're coming, and it's another chance to see those wonderful programmes of theirs one more time!

I remember after the sp in pyeongchang and Massot was so upset at himself because he might have ruined Aliona's chances for the gold. Now this interview brings to light how much pressure he was facing before the lp, not only because he let down a partner and a mentor, but also how much he's struggled just to be there, only to throw it away with a mistake. I don't know how much of the german federation's kindness was sincere, but I'm grateful that they took care of him.

Interspectator

Record Breaker
So am I! Excellent interview, honest, and it makes those emotional moments by both of them even more moving than they already were. They can be really proud of themselves, even if they aren't as prepared for Worlds as they should be (he states that somewhere in the interview too). They're coming, and it's another chance to see those wonderful programmes of theirs one more time!

Yes, I'm happy to see their SP again, maybe even better this time? ;)

perspicuosity

Rinkside
I don't know why people are so quick to dismiss Bruno, even after the Olympics. I look at his story and think he's just as amazing as Aliona.

Physically, he can do partner elements (lift, death spiral, twist) at a level that no one else can do. When he joined up with Aliona, he cleaned up his skating skills in two years. And mentally, he's made of steel. Of course there the examples in the article. Plus, he went straight from a tier 3/4 pair (with Popova) to an elite pair (with Aliona), and I think he only had one abnormally bad skate (Europeans 2016 LP). Everything else was top-notch. To go out and skate that Olympic LP under that amount of pressure -- at your FIRST OLYMPICS -- is mind-boggling.

All hail Bruno!

rosy14

Final Flight

And because quite probably, after Milan, he will stop competing.

ladyjane

Medalist
Country
Netherlands
I cried again...especially having seen their perfect SP, and then another mesmerising Long. Wow!