2018-19 Russian Ladies' figure skating | Page 634 | Golden Skate

2018-19 Russian Ladies' figure skating

andromache

Record Breaker
Sorry, I am not well-informed about the Russian junior scene other than the top ladies - does Eteri currently have a top junior prospect for next season if all of the senior age-eligible girls move up?

vesperalvioletta

Medalist
Country
United-States
Sorry, I am not well-informed about the Russian junior scene other than the top ladies - does Eteri currently have a top junior prospect for next season if all of the senior age-eligible girls move up?

She has several - Kamila Valieva, Daria Usacheva, and Maya Kromykh. Kamila is the one who is getting the most buzz though.

Fluture

Record Breaker

Kamila Valieva and Daria Usacheva are the ones I know about. Kamila performed at the Rostelecom Gala. She‘s the one with the insane flexibility.

Kamila:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=a8ehFx7fb8o

Daria:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=3UUILIX11PM

I think they‘re both really talented and can dominate juniors easily. There‘s also Ksenia Sinitsyna and Alena Kanysheva who have to stay juniors for another season. And I suspect Anastasia Tarakanova will stay in juniors as well. They aren‘t Eteri girls, though.

Scott512

Record Breaker
I think after this weekend it will be just Alena and Alexandra moving to seniors next season.

Anna doesn’t have enough international experience and even if she makes the JW team, I think another year in Jr and the opportunity to win the JW title will be a better choice.

There is also no need to send all three to Sr next season as Russia has plenty of other skaters that can keep full spots for worlds in the mean time.

I also think Tarakanova will remain junior next season as well.

Can Anna be part-time senior and part-time junior next year? isn't that what they did with Gubanova this year although Nastya hasnt skated juniors much if at all?

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Can Anna be part-time senior and part-time junior next year? isn't that what they did with Gubanova this year although Nastya hasnt skated juniors much if at all?

Yes...she’ll be eligible to do Senior GP and then come back and do JWC. You can’t do JGP and Senior GP though as I understand it.

andromache

Record Breaker
She has several - Kamila Valieva, Daria Usacheva, and Maya Kromykh. Kamila is the one who is getting the most buzz though.

Kamila Valieva and Daria Usacheva are the ones I know about. Kamila performed at the Rostelecom Gala. She‘s the one with the insane flexibility.

Kamila:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=a8ehFx7fb8o

Daria:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=3UUILIX11PM

I think they‘re both really talented and can dominate juniors easily. There‘s also Ksenia Sinitsyna and Alena Kanysheva who have to stay juniors for another season. And I suspect Anastasia Tarakanova will stay in juniors as well. They aren‘t Eteri girls, though.

Thank you both for educating me! We've had two years of Kostornaia, Shcherbakova, Trusova dominance so I wasn't sure who was next in the pipeline.

Kanysheva is my fave non-Eteri girl. I'm looking forward to seeing what she can do next season since I think she will have much more pressure after her first successful junior season.

[email protected]

Medalist
Record Breaker
I think Lena Radionova once worked with a foreign choreographer - I think it was Shae Lynn Bourne - and her program fit her really well. It doesn‘t even have to be a foreign one, she could try working with Averbukh or who was the one Zhenya worked with in her first senior season? Zhulin, I think? It doesn‘t really matter, though. Alina doesn‘t necessarily have to change choreographer, Daniil‘s programs work for her and she gets high marks. I don‘t even have anything against Daniil himself, he showed multiple times that he‘s capable of producing high quality programs. Especially last season, Tarakanova‘s programs were masterpieces and Anna‘s programs this year are great as well as Alena‘s and Sasha’s SP. It‘s just that he has to choreograph for so many athletes that he‘s bound to run out of ideas from time to time. And that‘s why I think it could help for some of the skaters to work with someone else occasionally. They did it in the past when the group was smaller, it doesn‘t make sense to focus on soely one person now that it is expanding.

I think, that Daniil just builds on "Averbukh's heritage". I remember when we saw ladies in Sochi my wife who had 0 previous experience in figure skating said that Yulia was different from others, "queens" included because during her program something was happenning every second unlike those others. We call it transitions here. And it was Averbukh who started that. Daniil followed and I think that he is a talented pupil. Anyway, their style is quite similar so that I see no particular difference for Alina. But why not for a change?

neusw

On the Ice
Honestly, I'm not even emotional here and i dont understand the fuss.
Alina skated quite well, and was second at GPF. Considering the current competitors and GPF composition, that is pretty much equivalent of a silver at Worlds. This is great, and not at all a tragedy, congrats to Alina.
I am also happy to have more dramatic competition, because this is what makes the sport fun to watch, not Alina/Zhenya/Rika/Sasha winning with 20 points of advantage. This is good for fans and good for the girls, who are motivated to improve.

Tragedy was Zhenya scoring under 200, a score unthinkable for her just a couple of months ago.

The only sad thing about this are all the people screaming "sore loser", "Alina is done" "Japanese dominance" and so on. I mean, of course, japanese are entirely dominating, so much that russian still brought home 2 medals from GPF. Alina still holds WR for free and total score and we are yet to see Rika jumping 3 clean 3As across two programs this season. The hilarious thing is that the advice for Alina to change teams usually comes from the very same people who say she is done, which means such advice shouldn't be taken seriously.
Seriously, I don’t understand why people are so desperate to have a “dominant No.1” in ladies all the time. Have people forgotten when there was actually competition at big events not so long ago? Think mao vs. yuna and kwan vs. slutskaya before that. As a fan, those victories felt way more satisfying and earned than when one skater is expected to win everything all the time. Even in mens, where there has been a clear no.1 for many years now, he does not win every major competition, and upsets are more interesting.

hippomoomin

Record Breaker
I think based on statistics, recent taller Japanese ladies tend to lose jumping capability after the age of puberty. Japanese techniques work best for shorter ladies no matter their body type, probably because their height don't change as much. Mao is very tall among Japanese ladies and she jumped very differently from Mai, Kaori, Wakaba, Rika...

Marin's struggles come from her being lazy and not training enough. It is well known that Marin is not the most hard working skater and started to get lazy once she got so much attention in Japan. Wakaba's struggles this season come from her injury she received at the beginning of the season. She tried to skate through it but it got worse. Also Wakaba and Marin are known for having mental struggles, especially Marin often gives up during her performances once a jump fails her. Their problems are not puberty related.

Wheelz

On the Ice
But trying out a new choreographer doesn‘t necessarily mean changing team as well. Zhenya worked with more than one choreographer during her Eteri days and Alina, as the OGM, I don‘t see what would be so wrong for her to try different styles. I don‘t want her to change coaches at all, she works really well with Daniil and Eteri and seems to be fairly happy there, too. But suggesting that a Team as successful as Eteri‘s could hire a new choreographer to help Daniil and make some of the programs isn‘t something too far fetched.

But Alina could be doing so much more. Phantom & Carmen are both so overused. I don’t think the mindset of her current team can take her to another level. Also, Eteri’s skaters normally don’t have long careers. If she’d like to have a longer career after she’s done competing, Eteri isn’t the one.

Last edited:

moriel

Record Breaker
But Alina could be doing so much more. Phantom & Carmen are both so overused. I don’t think the mindset of her current team can take her to another level. Also, Eteri’s skaters normally don’t have long careers. If she’d like to have a longer career after she’s done competing, Eteri isn’t the one.

no skaters have long career.

I recently collected data on all junior girls who medaled at junior grand prix over a period of 10 years.. Only 1 in 5 got any relevant medals at senior level.
Out of those, about half didn't win any major medals when they were 18 or older.

"Eteri skaters not having long careers" is pure BS and a myth. All coaches who train juniors end up with a horrible career length statistic, and tons of talented and promising juniors who didn't transition well into seniors. Actually American and Japanese junior ladies do somewhat worse than Russians in terms of transitioning to senior, and Eteri's girls are doing much better than russian average.
I am not sure where this myth came from, if it was a "fan" thing, or if it was because Eteri's juniors are brilliant and get a lot of spotlight that juniors usually don't get, as only hardcore fans follow them.

TripleAxelQueens3

sasha trusova is superior
Final Flight
no skaters have long career.

Carolina Kostner cares to disagree ;)

Anyway, I also compiled stats of JGP medalists, and got a similar statistic, but I think coaching environments have a lot to do with it. For instance, with Eteri, once you reach let’s say like 19 and start struggling, I feel like looking at those thriving youngsters with their quads and 3As will have some toll on your self confidence. As Liza once said “being 21 in Russian figure skating is like being 40.”

And the reason we don’t think Eteri or junior coaches can coach someone past 18 is because they’ve never gotten the chance. Zhenya and Yulia left Eteri, and Panova and Davydov haven’t even had a senior skater yet. Who knows, maybe they’ve actually got good strategy!

Seren

Wakabond Forever
Record Breaker
I think it’s actually great for Alina to have a rivalry- it’s incredibly motivating and really pushes skaters to be their best. There have been so many great rivalries in skating- and winning against skaters who are equally as good as you is much more rewarding than running away with it.

Amei

Record Breaker

I really discount her 'long career' - her career length has really been aided from poor prospects in her country.

As Liza once said “being 21 in Russian figure skating is like being 40.”

I don't think that's exclusive to Russian figure skating, figure skating at least since the mid-90s (can't really state before as I wasn't born) has always favored towards younger female skaters.

And the reason we don’t think Eteri or junior coaches can coach someone past 18 is because they’ve never gotten the chance. Zhenya and Yulia left Eteri, and Panova and Davydov haven’t even had a senior skater yet. Who knows, maybe they’ve actually got good strategy!

Speaking only towards Eteri - I think a lot of people look at her older skaters leaving her as they get older (in figure skating terms) as indicative of her strategy/methods not being designed for older skaters and/or an extended period of time in her system. Her 2 most known/successful skaters left her, both of whom we could probably make a fair assessment in saying that they were burnt out, and if I'm remembering correctly several of her other skaters have left with nagging injuries that seem to linger and contribute to careers ending.

Amei

Record Breaker
I think, that Daniil just builds on "Averbukh's heritage". I remember when we saw ladies in Sochi my wife who had 0 previous experience in figure skating said that Yulia was different from others, "queens" included because during her program something was happenning every second unlike those others. We call it transitions here. And it was Averbukh who started that. Daniil followed and I think that he is a talented pupil. Anyway, their style is quite similar so that I see no particular difference for Alina. But why not for a change?

But Averbukh at least designed the routines that it wasn't overkill on the transitions. Maybe if Daniil does some slower music for Alina like Shcherbakova and Alena K have there might be a different impression, but the more up-tempo songs that he has for Alina this year its overkill on the transitions, while for points it works (as long as she doesn't make mistakes and get behind) its not aesthetically pleasing. While his choreography is the main offender, I would love the ISU to implement some timing rules for something counting, she has some moves that she holds for a second, if that, I've said since she debuted POTO her Ina Bauer is choreographically sloppy she holds it so little, especially once she arches her back that it looks like she's having to come out of it because she's losing her balance.

BillNeal

You Know I'm a FS Fan...
Record Breaker
I really discount her 'long career' - her career length has really been aided from poor prospects in her country.

You can discount her 'long career' all you want but the truth is she led the European Ladies for the better part of the two quads, from 2006-2014. During this period, she won the Euros 5 times and 5 World medals, including the title in 2012. The number of World medals she won are more than all the World medals the other European ladies have won combined during those two quads. Since her comeback, she has finished no lower than 6th and has not finished below 3 Russians at Euros, Worlds, or OG. Keep in mind that skating for a smaller federation also has its own sets of challenges, the relative lack of facilities and coaching choices for example. Early in her career, a landslide destroyed the rink she was training at and she ended up moving to train with Huth in Germany. She really deserves a lot more respect than some people give her, especially considering she's still competing in singles in her 30's.

I think it’s actually great for Alina to have a rivalry- it’s incredibly motivating and really pushes skaters to be their best. There have been so many great rivalries in skating- and winning against skaters who are equally as good as you is much more rewarding than running away with it.

If it's a friendly rivalry then I agree.

andromache

Record Breaker
You can discount her 'long career' all you want but the truth is she led the European Ladies for the better part of the two quads, from 2006-2014. During this period, she won the Euros 5 times and 5 World medals, including the title in 2012. The number of World medals she won are more than all the World medals the other European ladies have won combined during those two quads. Since her comeback, she has finished no lower than 6th and has not finished below 3 Russians at Euros, Worlds, or OG. Keep in mind that skating for a smaller federation also has its own sets of challenges, the relative lack of facilities and coaching choices for example. Early in her career, a landslide destroyed the rink she was training at and she ended up moving to train with Huth in Germany. She really deserves a lot more respect than some people give her, especially considering she's still competing in singles in her 30's.

Agree. She hasn't had a lot of competition in her own country, but neither did Joshi Helgesson, Elena Gedevanishvili, Sonia Lafuente, or Angelīna Kučvaļska, and how many international medals do they have?

Russian ladies have a unique set of challenges given the depth of competition, but plenty of them have long careers, presumably because they love to skate. Leonova hasn't retired yet, right?

moriel

Record Breaker

Anyway, I also compiled stats of JGP medalists, and got a similar statistic, but I think coaching environments have a lot to do with it. For instance, with Eteri, once you reach let’s say like 19 and start struggling, I feel like looking at those thriving youngsters with their quads and 3As will have some toll on your self confidence. As Liza once said “being 21 in Russian figure skating is like being 40.”

Most skaters who didnt stop winning at 15 stop winning medals around 16-17-18-19 regardless of coach.