2023-24 British and Irish Figure Skating | Page 16 | Golden Skate

2023-24 British and Irish Figure Skating

CaroLiza_fan

MINIOL ALATMI REKRIS · EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Shock! Horror! Figure skating on the front page of today's Guardian!

lcimg-b6221348-ab3c-4556-9d84-9f5051a7c1ed.jpeg

Here is the online version of the story that the picture is referring to:

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2...on-ice-and-takes-figure-skating-to-next-level

I haven't read the story, because I haven't finished watching Worlds yet. But I did a quick scan through it to see if they mentioned how the British skaters got on. And, surprise surprise, they didn't.

Typical British press! If the Brits don't win, they aren't interested in them.

CaroLiza_fan

CaroLiza_fan

MINIOL ALATMI REKRIS · EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Some very good results for all the British skaters, including quite a few medals, at the Black Sea Ice Cup in Kranevo, Bulgaria, a few days ago.

Senior Ladies: 🥈 2nd Genevieve SOMERVILLE (Sheffield); 🥉 3rd Arabella SEAR-WATKINS (Dundee)
Junior Men: 🥇 1st Lucas FITTERER (Dundee)
Junior Ladies: 6th Emma LYONS (Dundee)
Advanced Novice Ladies: 🥇 1st Leilah PATTEN (Sheffield); 5th Eloisa MERINO-SOLA (Dundee)

OK, so Leilah is still appearing in the results pages without a flag or country next to her name. I realise she is probably representing Bulgaria as her club is down as the Denkova-Staviski club in Sofia, but we may as well take the credit! ;)

No other skaters from the British Isles made the trip to Bulgaria.

:cheer: WELL DONE EVERYBODY!!! :cheer:

This week we have the following heading to the Triglav Trophy in Jesenice, Slovenia:

Senior Men: Dillon JUDGE (IceLab)
Senior Ladies: Kristen SPOURS (Swindon)
Junior Ladies: Lilian MUSGRAVE (Amodio)

No other skaters from the British Isles are entered in Slovenia.

Interesting that last week all the skaters were from the Dundee and Sheffield clubs, and this week all the skaters are from other clubs.

:cheer: ALL THE BEST EVERYBODY!!! :cheer:

CaroLiza_fan

Ruthypegs

On the Ice
Country
United-Kingdom

Diana Delafield

Frequent flyer
Medalist
Country
Canada
New Pairs team Neamh Davison and Daniel Borisov. I'm not sure whether they'll be skating in Juniors or Seniors. Hopefully we might see them at the August Qualifiers for British Nationals in either case.

Where will they be training, to avoid the dangers of public sessions?

FlossieH

Medalist
Country
United-Kingdom
New Pairs team Neamh Davison and Daniel Borisov. I'm not sure whether they'll be skating in Juniors or Seniors. Hopefully we might see them at the August Qualifiers for British Nationals in either case.

I can't see the post as it requires an instagram account. Will they definitely be representing us?

FlossieH

Medalist
Country
United-Kingdom
I don't have Instagram either, but for some reason I can see posts. She says something about them being "excited to represent British ice skating", so I'd assume that means actually under that flag. :hap10::cheer:
Thanks. It was trying to make me login. If they compete as Juniors (I'm not sure how old he is?) and do the JGP, I wonder whether Ted will be able to cope with her name this year! He was really flummoxed by it last year and I was surprised because it is a reasonably common name here.

Diana Delafield

Frequent flyer
Medalist
Country
Canada
Thanks. It was trying to make me login. If they compete as Juniors (I'm not sure how old he is?) and do the JGP, I wonder whether Ted will be able to cope with her name this year! He was really flummoxed by it last year and I was surprised because it is a reasonably common name here.
Ted could mangle her name if it was Ann.

Edit: To be fair, not too many non-Gaelic speakers know that the h after a consonant changes the pronunciation of the preceding consonant or obliterates it entirely. (Or that Irish and Scots Gaelic are not quite the same language, albeit closely related.) If he said Neem, that would seem quite logical to most non-Irish who don't know it's Neev. Off topic, but my teeth grind when someone puts an h in the middle of the name Megan and doesn't realize they've just silenced the g. (Close to the surname Meehan.) And even more off-topic but coming up often in skating, authoritative names dictionaries now often yield to convention and say that while the name Caitlin is pronounced approximately like the anglicized spelling KathLEEN, "the pronunciation KATE-lin has become common usage in North America" [Oxford Dictionary of First Names, 2019 ed.]

Last edited:

Jumping_Bean

Record Breaker
The image you've posted won't load? It's giving a time out error.
It's a video of Kyle and his new partner Rebecca Ritchie doing sbs 2As, a simple group 4 lift and a 2FTh.

Are you using an older device or browser by any chance? Because I've so far not had many issues with embedded IG posts not loading. 😅

FlossieH

Medalist
Country
United-Kingdom
It's a video of Kyle and his new partner Rebecca Ritchie doing sbs 2As, a simple group 4 lift and a 2FTh.

Are you using an older device or browser by any chance? Because I've so far not had many issues with embedded IG posts not loading. 😅
I'm on a 1 year old Windows laptop, i5 processor and an up to date Chrome browser (last updated Saturday night). Should be sufficient for the forum!

Thanks for the information. Don't know much about Rebecca Ritchie. She competed in junior singles last year, but didn't make it through to nationals. She doesn't appear to have qualified for nationals in the past either. I assume that they are viewing it as a pairing which might develop longer-term, rather than one which will be competitive this season. It sounds like they are doing similar skills to when Lucy and Kyle first paired up, but Lucy had previously been a medalist at national level in singles. It will be interesting to see whether they compete in the August qualifier and in the JGP.

NanaPat

Record Breaker
Country
Canada

I'm on a 1 year old Windows laptop, i5 processor and an up to date Chrome browser (last updated Saturday night). Should be sufficient for the forum!
It could also be your internet speed, which can vary a lot from time to time. Usually embedded IG posts are good for me, but sometimes they are slow to load. If you have problems, you can try refreshing the page.

TeamGubanova

On the Ice

Thanks for the information. Don't know much about Rebecca Ritchie. She competed in junior singles last year, but didn't make it through to nationals. She doesn't appear to have qualified for nationals in the past either. I assume that they are viewing it as a pairing which might develop longer-term, rather than one which will be competitive this season. It sounds like they are doing similar skills to when Lucy and Kyle first paired up, but Lucy had previously been a medalist at national level in singles. It will be interesting to see whether they compete in the August qualifier and in the JGP.
The double axels are a set up from Lucy and Kyle because she could only do double lutz. i think they would be competitive in british pairs and in the running for the JW spot if they are age eligible