2018-19 Russian Ladies' figure skating | Page 752 | Golden Skate

2018-19 Russian Ladies' figure skating

jersey1302

On the Ice
Country
Canada
... i guess you must be a mega fan of zhenya. she's one of my favourite skaters as well and i do tend to overlook the weaknesses of my favourites (i suddenly can't see anytime alina underrotates or when zhenya falls lol) but i think it would be reaching insane levels of denial to pretend that zhenya, a skater who has struggled with getting lvl 4s all season, somehow is the best skater in the world.

The struggle in levels have nothing to do with her quality of skating, its the technique that Brian has been tweaking in all her elements. This year will be up and down like that.

jersey1302

On the Ice
Country
Canada
Ok, first of all lets look this ISU document https://www.isu.org/figure-skating/...96-program-component-chart-id-sp-2018-19/file in ISU "Handbooks Single & Pair Skating"
there is a note "NEW - If there is a/are Falls or Serious Errors" for single skating and pairs "9.00 or higher should not be awarded for PE, IN." (i.e. Perfomance and Interpretation).

Second step - lets look scores for FS at last RusNAts when Medvedeva felt on combo 2A+3T. She got 9.25 for Perfomance and 9.43 for Interpretation.

3rd step - lets think, when judges awarded a skater with scores above the acceptable is it overscoring or not?
Sure, but lets face it.. this happens to most of the top skaters...go back and look at Alina's scores too over the last two seasons.. same thing. Same goes for some of the men and pairs...specifically Tarasova/Morozov

Koatterce

On the Ice
Country
Canada
Ok, first of all lets look this ISU document https://www.isu.org/figure-skating/...96-program-component-chart-id-sp-2018-19/file in ISU "Handbooks Single & Pair Skating"
there is a note "NEW - If there is a/are Falls or Serious Errors" for single skating and pairs "9.00 or higher should not be awarded for PE, IN." (i.e. Perfomance and Interpretation).

Second step - lets look scores for FS at last RusNAts when Medvedeva felt on combo 2A+3T. She got 9.25 for Perfomance and 9.43 for Interpretation.

3rd step - lets think, when judges awarded a skater with scores above the acceptable is it overscoring or not?

the document says that if there is a singular fall or other serious error - 10 should not be awarded
if there are falls (plural) or plural other serious errors - no higher than 9 in PE, IN and 9.5 in the others

Medvedeva had only one serious error (the fall on the combo). Therefore, she cannot get 10, but can get anything below that
Now, she could have potentially still been overscored in a subjective manner (according to some people), plus this is nats where scores tend to be inflated, but it is not against the rules to give the scores that she received

Metis

Shepherdess of the Teal Deer
Record Breaker
Bzzt. That’s not the language used.

For programmes with falls or serious errors, SS, TR, and CO should be <9.50 and PE and IE <9.0. For a SINGLE fall or serious error, the only guidance is to not award a 10.0 in any component mark.

I am unaware of any official definition of what constitutes a “serious error,” and to my knowledge, it is not explicitly defined, nor is it indicated on protocols. Is missing a jump combination in the short programme in and of itself a serious error, or only a serious error if the reason for the lack of a combination is due to a fall? Does the fall + lack of a required element constitute two separate serious errors or is the lack of a jump combination the effect of the serious error (the fall)?

It doesn’t matter. Medvedeva had one fall or serious error in her free skate at Russian nationals. Depending on how you define “serious error,” Zagitova had far more than one (lack of combinations, multiple underrotations and falls, botched spiral). I’m not saying I agree with Medvedeva’s PCS, but hers did not violate the scoring guidelines. But he who lives by ISU’s guidance also dies by that sword. Maybe orient your pitchfork toward Zagitova’s protocol, not Med’s.

It’s nationals. The actual score values matter far less than the relative difference in scoring. There’s a reason nationals scores don’t count for SBs and PBs.

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I just bought my tickets to the junior worlds competition, and I need your help! What kind of teddies should I buy for the 3A? Recommend away!

PS. If someone else is going, maybe we can meet up!

This Diva stuffed animal from 5th element is cool :love:

diva.jpg

Probably pricey though :cry:
http://www.stumpytown.com/plushie/

There were a few cool T-shirt’s on Etsy that were 5th element related and one even said Supreme Being ;)

liberrhythm

On the Ice
I just bought my tickets to the junior worlds competition, and I need your help! What kind of teddies should I buy for the 3A? Recommend away!

PS. If someone else is going, maybe we can meet up!
Where did you buy your tickets? I couldn't find the link! I'm also planning to go - I'd love to meet up [emoji16]

sx98423

On the Ice
The struggle in levels have nothing to do with her quality of skating, its the technique that Brian has been tweaking in all her elements. This year will be up and down like that.

a step sequence is skating, of course it's about skating skills. the ability to do turns, steps and to have good ice coverage is innately related to SS since you need to skate to do these things

sx98423

On the Ice
Bzzt. That’s not the language used.

For programmes with falls or serious errors, SS, TR, and CO should be <9.50 and PE and IE <9.0. For a SINGLE fall or serious error, the only guidance is to not award a 10.0 in any component mark.

I am unaware of any official definition of what constitutes a “serious error,” and to my knowledge, it is not explicitly defined, nor is it indicated on protocols. Is missing a jump combination in the short programme in and of itself a serious error, or only a serious error if the reason for the lack of a combination is due to a fall? Does the fall + lack of a required element constitute two separate serious errors or is the lack of a jump combination the effect of the serious error (the fall)?

It doesn’t matter. Medvedeva had one fall or serious error in her free skate at Russian nationals. Depending on how you define “serious error,” Zagitova had far more than one (lack of combinations, multiple underrotations and falls, botched spiral). I’m not saying I agree with Medvedeva’s PCS, but hers did not violate the scoring guidelines. But he who lives by ISU’s guidance also dies by that sword. Maybe orient your pitchfork toward Zagitova’s protocol, not Med’s.

It’s nationals. The actual score values matter far less than the relative difference in scoring. There’s a reason nationals scores don’t count for SBs and PBs.

like another poster said the original post was about zhenya not alina why would anyone turn their pitchfork towards alina when the orginal comment had nothing to do with her?

also it's possible for two skaters to be overscored in PCs at the same competition

neusw

On the Ice

Today I learned jumps, spins, and steps are not part of skating. In that case I’m pretty sure the best skaters in the world are professional hockey players.

Metis

Shepherdess of the Teal Deer
Record Breaker
like another poster said the original post was about zhenya not alina why would anyone turn their pitchfork towards alina when the orginal comment had nothing to do with her?
My point was that if you’re going to stick with that flawed interpretation of the guidelines, the person who was scored in violation of the published guidance was Zagitova, not Med.

also it's possible for two skaters to be overscored in PCs at the same competition
Not according to the original poster. It’s not my argument. Their whole post is built on a false understanding of the “rules” and illogical premises.

bobbob

Medalist
If any of you think the scoring at Russian Nationals was inflated, just wait for US Nationals and Canadian nationals.

I actually think of all the Nationals competitions, Russian has the most reasonable and least inflated judging. All of the TES are totally realistic and PCS is just slightly inflated. In the ladies, the only score that made no sense to me was Konstantinova, though if you understand everything, it does make sense also.

Vandevska

U don't have to build the end of the world out it.
Medalist
Thank you guys for the suggestions! I'll write them down and see what I can do. I don't have enough money to buy them huge plushies, but I wanna buy something anyway ^_^

Where did you buy your tickets? I couldn't find the link! I'm also planning to go - I'd love to meet up [emoji16]

Heyyy my boyfriend bought them actually so as soon as he sends me the link I'll PM you! ^_^

DSQ

Record Breaker
Country
United-Kingdom
I hope some day skaters get picked by rankings. If Russia has 7 of the top 10 in 3 years but only have 3 spots for Olympics it will look bad for isu. Not that they should have 7 spots but more than 3 will be required.

I think unless it gets to the point where all but two of the top twenty are Russian there will not be a change. All sports at the international championship level have limits on the number of athletes that compete from each country. The reason is it’s a zero sum game, add an extra spot for Russia and you have to take a spot away from a lower ranked country with only one spot. The only way the sport can grow is if there is an opportunity to compete for as many people as possible.

The tech minimums stop an Eddie the Eagle situation from happening and I really do feel that while it can be frustrating to see a girl doing triple doubles at Worlds when the girl who was tenth at Russian nationals can do triple triple triples.

Perhaps a better solution would be that the defending champion automatically qualifies for the next Euros/Worlds (at the discretion of their home federation) so that way potentially Russia could earn four spots.

LenaRadiFan

On the Ice
I think unless it gets to the point where all but two of the top twenty are Russian there will not be a change. All sports at the international championship level have limits on the number of athletes that compete from each country. The reason is it’s a zero sum game, add an extra spot for Russia and you have to take a spot away from a lower ranked country with only one spot. The only way the sport can grow is if there is an opportunity to compete for as many people as possible.

The tech minimums stop an Eddie the Eagle situation from happening and I really do feel that while it can be frustrating to see a girl doing triple doubles at Worlds when the girl who was tenth at Russian nationals can do triple triple triples.

Perhaps a better solution would be that the defending champion automatically qualifies for the next Euros/Worlds (at the discretion of their home federation) so that way potentially Russia could earn four spots.
I actually think tvat this would be a really great idea! Because, I think it would be unfair to take a spot away from a country, since it's, for example, the world championships and how are these athletes supposed to get better and learn if it wasn't for competing internationally? So I think something like an automatic world spot for the winner would be great, but what if that person is injured or wds?

Alex65

Final Flight
Country
Russia
I actually think tvat this would be a really great idea! Because, I think it would be unfair to take a spot away from a country, since it's, for example, the world championships and how are these athletes supposed to get better and learn if it wasn't for competing internationally? So I think something like an automatic world spot for the winner would be great, but what if that person is injured or wds?

I agree. It's like in football. Plus less pressure on the current champion in the season. And more potential surprises in the results. If the champion cannot, then only three - it will be fair.