Share your favourite gala/show programs! | Golden Skate

Share your favourite gala/show programs!

BillNeal

You Know I'm a FS Fan...
Record Breaker
Now that the World Championships have wrapped up with the Gala, the off season is upon us. Before the ice shows start, let's begin by sharing our favourite show programs. Here are some of my favourites:

Drobiazko/Vanagas - Pirates of the Caribbean: A complete and dynamic program with a very well choreographed sword fight! This was during their comeback season for the Torino Olympics. The audience appreciated their exhibition so much that they got a standing ovation (you hardly get those in galas).

Shae-Lynn Bourne - La Cumparsita: Who needs a partner to do a tango when you got a chair and the interpretive skills of Shae-Lynn ;)? Shae-Lynn has done many exhibitions by herself after she and Victor retired from competition. This one, in particular, shows how she can hold a crowd solo.

Virtue/Moir - Stay: There are many V/M show programs I love but I think this one shows their undeniable chemistry very well. Plus, it was, at the time, thought to be their last skate on competitive ice but they did come back and 'stayed' with us for two more seasons :biggrin:.

Kerr/Kerr - Scottish Folk Dance: The Kerrs are always considered to be crowd pleasers and you can see this in their signature Scottish folk dance. The Ex version features their signature lift near the end.

Deniss Vasiljevs- Puttin' on the Ritz: The program that made me a fan, his 2015-2016 SP. Glad he turned it into an EX (this performance was even harder technically because he does two triple jump combos). If I recall correctly, this was the first major ice show he was invited to.

What are your favourite gala/show programs?

invisiblespiral

Record Breaker
A/S' Thanksgiving, G/G's Vocalise, Asada's Ballade and Jupiter, Kwan's Fields of Gold and Dante's Prayer, Hanyu's Requiem of Heaven and Earth and Note Stellata... :slink:

echeveria

3a-1/2lo-3f
On the Ice
Shoma's Bad Boy Good Man, Matteo's Everybody Needs Somebody, Marchei/Hotarek's Barbie Girl, Javier's Aerobics Class (is that what it's called? I can't quite remember) are my favorites

likevelvet

#Bless this mess
On the Ice
Country
United-States
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-LtDDL08TQw
I love Wakaba's Hallelujah program. I don't think I've ever disliked a cover of the song, and the choreography is beautiful - it manages to capitalize on the builds in the music, and just watching her footwork is beautiful. After the season she had, I can only imagine how it felt to skate that in the gala at Worlds after all was said and done.

I've always really enjoyed watching galas. It lets you kind of get to know the skaters at a comp as people, they have some artistic freedom without the constraints of competition. And when they are especially wonderful or done to somber, emotional music, I'm all in :cry: I like the fun ones, too, but I adore very artistic or even weird exhibitions. I know it's an unpopular choice, but I remember Plushenko's Asissai program very fondly. I remember thinking, wow, to show up to an audience expecting one thing, and to give them something VERY different... I was wowed.

invisiblespiral

Record Breaker
I think for emotional effect, Mao's Jupiter, Michelle's Fields of Gold, and Yuzu's Requiem of Heaven and Earth are the first ones that popped into my head.

Also A Celebration of a Life. :cry:

BillNeal

You Know I'm a FS Fan...
Record Breaker
A/S' Thanksgiving, G/G's Vocalise, Asada's Ballade and Jupiter, Kwan's Fields of Gold and Dante's Prayer, Hanyu's Requiem of Heaven and Earth and Note Stellata... :slink:

Thanks! Just watched Kwan's Fields of Gold, so graceful and understated. Will check the rest of these out.

jillredhand

Record Breaker
From this season at least:

Pairs: Nothing beats Savchenko/Massot's Up All Night program. It's breathtakingly beautiful and so clever with subverting your expectations for normal pairs elements. Marchei/Hotarek's Barbie Girl is fun too, especially with the props.

Ladies: Nothing stood out to me much. Osmond's I Love It routine, maybe, mainly because she always looks tired and hung over when she performs it, which is A+ character commitment, and I like to imagine that she's been out partying the night before to celebrate winning all the medals. I like Sotskova's Kalinka program too, it's so charming and wholesome.

Men: Uno's See You Again program is great, mainly for the cantilever. Keegan Messing always goes suuuuper hard and energetic in the Shake Your Tailfeathers routine, and never treats the exhibition like a day to take it easy. Misha Ge's Fifty Shades of Grey program with Madison Chock was jaw dropping and unique.

Ice Dance: Capellini/Lanotte and Hawayek/Baker. Comedy programs are the best, so sue me. Virtue/Moir's Tragically Hip program was on a whole other It's Not Fair To Make A Nation Feel So Many Emotions level, it's in its own category altogether.

Amei

Record Breaker
Just a couple from this season:

Misha Ge's Mic drop routine
Mikhail Kolyada's Nothing Else Matters

Step Sequence4

JULLLIEEEEETTTT!
Final Flight
As overused as it is, Javi’s Aerobics class still has me on the floor laughing. So I’ll say that.

BillNeal

You Know I'm a FS Fan...
Record Breaker
Ice Dance: Capellini/Lanotte and Hawayek/Baker. Comedy programs are the best, so sue me. Virtue/Moir's Tragically Hip program was on a whole other It's Not Fair To Make A Nation Feel So Many Emotions level, it's in it's own category altogether.

C/L comedy programs are the best. If you haven't already, check out their 'Tango Lesson' Ex. I was fortunate enough to see this live at Skate Canada 2016 (along with their Chaplin FD where they got a partial standing O).

nolangoh

Steps and Spirals enthusiast
Record Breaker
Shoma's See You Again or This Town

Michelle Kwan Fields of Gold

Every program by Mao Asada, Especially Por Una Cabeza, Jupiter and Bach Cello Suite

ramurphy2005

Unabashed Mainer
On the Ice
Country
United-States
I will be yet another person who lists Michelle Kwan's Fields of Gold. I also love Michelle's You Raise Me Up.

Karen Chen's exhibition from last year with the long sleeves is really interesting. The music she's using is not coming to me right at this moment though.

Kurt Browning's Clown routine always gives me a good laugh when I need it.

Nathen Chen's Stole the Show was a good one. I really love the Nationals version of it when he faked going into that jump.

Rudy Galindo - Send in the Clowns, The Village People Medley

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
You mean favorite exhibitions of all time.......dear lord, not enough time or space.

But the showmen, some of whom have been mentioned and some not.

Jason Brown does a great Hammer Shuffle, on ice, in U Can't Touch This

Rudy Galindo slays the YMCA dance in the Village People Medley

Elladj Balde dances an entire Uptown Funk gala, previewing his LP

and not only a guy, but a gal too, but let face it, all eyes are on Jean-Luc:

Yeah, baby! Jean-Luc as Austin Powers

God, not even counting the old fashioned encores which weren't really exhibtions....I may return as well:laugh: