Axel | Golden Skate

Axel

Whitfield

Spectator
Looking for suggestions on how to mentally prepare a skater to commit to trying hard to get the full 1.5 rotation and not baling out after one. Any tips, tricks?

jersey1302

On the Ice
Country
Canada
I would try on dry land first for a week or two.. and tell them when on the ice as well dont pull out of rotation until your feet are on the ice.. that will get them to keep the rotation going and then once they have that down I think they could start learning when to pull out.. Is the skater scared to fall or just having trouble keeping pulled in?

Whitfield

Spectator
She is afraid to fall and really has never rotated the jump once. She has fallen in her attempts so this is on her mind. We'll try dry land training a few more times and hopefully this will build more confidence. Thanks.

sandraskates

Final Flight
Country
United-States
If you rink has a harness or a coach has a pole harness, arrange a lesson for her to try the jump while strapped in. That could help a lot.

Curlygirly81

On the Ice
Even the most experienced skaters get mental blocks and mostly on the axel. Like others suggested use the harness and dry landings, but also use visualization and positive thinking...

Sibelius

On the Ice
She is afraid to fall and really has never rotated the jump once. She has fallen in her attempts so this is on her mind. We'll try dry land training a few more times and hopefully this will build more confidence. Thanks.

When my skater started Axel the harnesses at both our rinks were mostly non-operational. I think she had 2 sessions in them. From all I've heard from my skater, her coaches as well as all the others at the rink, if you're afraid to fall you'll never get it. I watched mine fall for 6 months, cringing and hiding behind the pillars half watching, but she always got up and said "it's just a fall". Now it's been 2 more months of falls for her 2s, soon starting 2t, can't wait. Oh, btw, I sit every morning watching our best skater working on her triples and the falls are unbelievable, but she gets up every single time and does it again, without fear. Amazing girl, I hope mine gets to be just like her. I don't know if I'll have the guts to watch like her mom does, she's pretty amazing herself.

Gigi99

Rinkside
Hi There,

The harness - never helped my skater. It was more like a crutch. What helped and I believe worked was: lots of Axels in the backyard. She surprised me one day - when after months and months and months of no Axel -she landed it. I think (also) learning how to fall helps get over the fear of crashing.

I hope that helps!! It will happen - when you least expect it.

Sibelius

On the Ice
Hi There,

The harness - never helped my skater. It was more like a crutch. What helped and I believe worked was: lots of Axels in the backyard. She surprised me one day - when after months and months and months of no Axel -she landed it. I think (also) learning how to fall helps get over the fear of crashing.

I hope that helps!! It will happen - when you least expect it.

Yep, when you least expect it. For mine it was minutes after coming off the ice in tears, "I just can't...". Same with her 2s. Then she lost them, then got them back.

Gigi99

Rinkside
Yep, when you least expect it. For mine it was minutes after coming off the ice in tears, "I just can't...". Same with her 2s. Then she lost them, then got them back.

Exactly...mine landed her double sal - just one time. Then couldn't do it - for a long, long time! Then was landing it - but - on her left leg. Then had to relearn to land it on her right leg. And, crashed continuously. Then (when I wasn't looking) her coach said she landed it, more than once. Hoping this time it will stick!