Will Rika Kihira dethrone Satoko? | Page 5 | Golden Skate

Will Rika Kihira dethrone Satoko?

Joekaz

On the Ice
I had only the results of worlds in mind and knew that Wakaba received 29 PCS for a clean free skate. Since scores usually go up through the season and not drop, i thought she got less at the start of the season. Same for her FS PCS which was 59 for a program that was not an epic bombing. I didn't think she was at 65 at her first GP.
If JSF doesn't do even a bit of politicking now, then some girls have luck, and what a luck.
Satoko mostly have competitions with no UR calls or max 3 calls, while she can receive much much more. And she good GOEs. Kaori now is getting 32 PCS with two falls in SP, Rika at her senior debut is at 32 with a fall. While Mai have to be perfect to get those 32 PCS.

And about refinement, i would rather say that Rika has a better choreographed free skate than Wakaba in 2016. And Wakaba's 2016 SP beats Rika's juniorish SP.

I think JSF doesn't have politicking skills of RUSfed or Canadian fed who can up by 15 points the score of their girls in a blink of eye, but she maybe can make easier the life of some girls.
You are correct. Like I commented in another thread, its pretty obvious the last few years the Japanese federation doesn't support Mai or Wakaba. They prefer Satoko, Rika and Kaori this season. Last year for example even the Russian commentator(Lipnitskya) at Cup of China was saying how she couldn't understand why Japanese federation doesn't support Higuchi.

Tutto

Record Breaker
What's more to the point: will she dethrone Zagitova?
I think she just might

mikeko666

Final Flight
Well, Satoko got ! on her 3Lz at NHK Trophy, which may be telling something.

You are correct. Like I commented in another thread, its pretty obvious the last few years the Japanese federation doesn't support Mai or Wakaba. They prefer Satoko, Rika and Kaori this season. Last year for example even the Russian commentator(Lipnitskya) at Cup of China was saying how she couldn't understand why Japanese federation doesn't support Higuchi.

Wakaba has been too inconsistent and prone to injuries.

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Watching them all, I am still completely puzzled how Alina and Zhenya can justifiably get PCS components in the mid 9s. Other than the large quantity of TR and very good PE, the CO, SS and especially IN are pretty much just average. Juniors like Alena Kostornaia and Anna Scherbakova to a lesser extent have arguably stronger basic SS and flow and don’t even get anything close. And of course Satoko who has stronger PCS never gets the mid 9s. PCS scoring is clear as a black hole.

I think the reason Satoko gets those lower marks is residual damage from her underwhelming jumps impacting the overall impression of her components. Everything is so effortless and smooth and then she jumps. I can’t think of one component other than Interpretation of the Music that isn’t impacted in same way or another. I think the opposite can be said of the technical prowess that her opponents display. A huge jump pass or an impressive assault on the senses blended together at very high speeds holds a beauty all its own. Maybe not as pretty but influential all the same.

Sam-Skwantch

Record Breaker
Country
United-States

Yulia was clearly fangirling all season for Wakaba. It was probably the biggest bias she showed last season :laugh:

In a way though...weren’t we all :dance3:

melgirl25

Medalist
Watching them all, I am still completely puzzled how Alina and Zhenya can justifiably get PCS components in the mid 9s. Other than the large quantity of TR and very good PE, the CO, SS and especially IN are pretty much just average. Juniors like Alena Kostornaia and Anna Scherbakova to a lesser extent have arguably stronger basic SS and flow and don’t even get anything close. And of course Satoko who has stronger PCS never gets the mid 9s. PCS scoring is clear as a black hole.

Evgenia's skating skills are improving under her new team. She has more flow and speed. She does not have as many difficult transitions though as Alina - at the moment. What I loved about Satoko's programs is that she has so much speed throughout yet the detail in her movements does not suffer because of that. It's quite impressive. She is the winner in PCS out of all of them.

melgirl25

Medalist
100% yes. she had a breakthrough performance this weekend that basically said "i'm Japan's top lady when i'm clean." she can EASILY dethrone both Kaori and Satoko. if she builds off this, the sky is the limit. Alina has her right now in PCS, but i don't think it will take long to catch up if she keeps skating like this. she really could be the top lady in the world soon. i don't think Alina can keep her status past this year anyway with Trusova and Kostornaya (with a 3A) coming next year, but Rika is officially a threat to her. Alina will NEED to train a quad or 3A to keep up with her and at least Trusova (barring injuries) within the next 2 seasons.

but of course, the key words are can and if.

Has Kostornaya done her 3A in competitions this season? The one in practice she did is beautiful but landing one in competition can be hard as we have seen with Rika and Liza.

So is the future this? - Anyone who lands a quad(s) will defeat all skaters even if their skating and performance is average. I will need a support group.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
I think the reason Satoko gets those lower marks is residual damage from her underwhelming jumps impacting the overall impression of her components. Everything is so effortless and smooth and then she jumps. I can’t think of one component other than Interpretation of the Music that it doesn’t impact in same way or another. I think the opposite can be said of the technical prowess that her opponents display. A huge jump pass or an impressive assault on the senses blended together at very high speeds holds a beauty all its own. Maybe not as pretty but influential all the same.

I'm actually ok with her high PCS marks, because she does have a lot of nice qualities even on her jumps, like her carriage on the landing. However, if the tech panels aren't going to knock her for prerotation, the judges shouldn't give her 3's and 4's for those jumps IMO. Her scores are way too inflated on the jump elements, but to me her high marks for everything else are justified.

Joekaz

On the Ice
Well, Satoko got ! on her 3Lz at NHK Trophy, which may be telling something.

Wakaba has been too inconsistent and prone to injuries.
She's injured this year. Last year she never scored under 200 in any competition. That's pretty consistent.

Globetrotter

Medalist
Evgenia's skating skills are improving under her new team. She has more flow and speed. She does not have as many difficult transitions though as Alina - at the moment. What I loved about Satoko's programs is that she has so much speed throughout yet the detail in her movements does not suffer because of that. It's quite impressive. She is the winner in PCS out of all of them.

And ironically, Zhenya’s visibly improved flow on the ice didn’t translate to higher PCS now as compared to what she was receiving when she was with Eteri’s group. She also had quantitatively more transitions previously but currently, her transitions are of better quality and meaning albeit less. Last I read, the TR component rewards both quantity and quality.

Globetrotter

Medalist
I think the reason Satoko gets those lower marks is residual damage from her underwhelming jumps impacting the overall impression of her components. Everything is so effortless and smooth and then she jumps. I can’t think of one component other than Interpretation of the Music that it doesn’t impact in same way or another. I think the opposite can be said of the technical prowess that her opponents display. A huge jump pass or an impressive assault on the senses blended together at very high speeds holds a beauty all its own. Maybe not as pretty but influential all the same.

That’s where the scores are confusing. Reward the jumps with GOEs and if the big jump is well choreographed with the musical crescendo, then up the CO. Likewise for Satoko, I am all for docking jump GOEs when the rotation looks suspect - same ought to be applied to everyone who cheats the take off. Reward her for her IN and SS and quality of the TR accordingly. I will much rather see low TES but higher PCS. The final outcome may be the same but in principle, this is what judging of what was executed should be like.

melgirl25

Medalist
And ironically, Zhenya’s visibly improved flow on the ice didn’t translate to higher PCS now as compared to what she was receiving when she was with Eteri’s group. She also had quantitatively more transitions previously but currently, her transitions are of better quality and meaning albeit less. Last I read, the TR component rewards both quantity and quality.

Has to do with new music styles and choreography (David Wilson). I think her PCS will be what it used to be eventually.

Danibellerika

Medalist

Well Caro (while I like her) would fall all over the place and get sky high PCS so her jump mistakes didn't ruin the "overall impression". And Chan inflation anyone? They seem to only apply this stuff when they feel like it.

Sam-Skwantch

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Well Caro (while I like her) would fall all over the place and get sky high PCS so her jump mistakes didn't ruin the "overall impression". And Chan inflation anyone? They seem to only apply this stuff when they feel like it.

I get ya but the point I was shooting to make is more along the lines that Satoko is landing her jumps and still looking all “oof” :laugh:

I think it has to impact her overall impression differently than than when Caro starts dropping ice torpedoes.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
It's possible, but it's a bit early for that sort of talk. Everyone's caught up in her wonderful FS - but don't forget she didn't pull off the SP.

Agreed, but even with the mistake in her SP she still scored higher than Zagitova's SP at GP Finland. If we're going with the "only as good as your last competition", she would have smoked Zagitova.

I hope that Kihira's stock goes up - her programs are great (especially the FS) and she really is the total package. Even her triple axels look like clean, easy elements and not big elements that are telegraphed (no shade to Tukt/Mirai). Many of her other jumps came out of nowhere too.

I think Satoko still definitely has an artistic edge, by a lot, but Kihira's technical edge surpasses that gap. Rika proved she's not just a jumper, but when you can jump like that and have decent artistry, then you will be very tough to beat (see: Lipinski), even if you are coming out of junior ranks.

Kihira has yet to show if she can be consistent, but a score of 218 and 224 to start the season (and not even completely clean at that) shows she's the one with the best chance of beating Zagitova, and if she's clean even someone as artistic as Satoko doesn't have the firepower/GOE to match that in overall points.

Japanese Nationals is going to be very interesting, especially the fight for the 3rd spot (not saying it's set, and still early, but it looks like Kihira/Miyahara will get the first two if they maintain their current form).

tofuetoffee

Rinkside
Well, I'm annoyed because I tried to edit my post but accidentally deleted it instead. Typing on a phone is so painful. T_T

I do think Rika will "dethrone" Satoko eventually and that the PCS gap that took a while for Satoko to build internationally will also be surpassed.

I feel like Satoko has a PCS ceiling below the favorites. This is her 6th season on the senior circuit! I was told that she was reliably consistent and so the fall last season shocked many because she (like previous Evgenia) doesn't fall. Clearly consistency didn't help her that much despite also having an extraordinary of level and skills on top of experience. And it's even more evident when many are talking about how Rika can almost catch up in Satoko's PCS just this season if she is consistent and Alina did last year in just one season with consistency.

yume

🍉
Record Breaker
Has to do with new music styles and choreography (David Wilson). I think her PCS will be what it used to be eventually.

I doubt that she will go back to 38 and 77 PCS. But i think she will still at near 35+ and 70+, clean or not. Which is still generous.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
It's possible, but it's a bit early for that sort of talk. Everyone's caught up in her wonderful FS - but don't forget she didn't pull off the SP.

And then maybe another Russian baby can dethrone Rika next year. So exciting! Satoko is still for my money the more complete skater but her jumps are suspect - ur, edges and low goe's. Rika though still has to lay it down consistently. Interesting indeed!

tokoyami

On the Ice
lol I wonder why Zhenya is being brought into this thread (by posters who obviously don't care for her, btw, how ironic is that)

also dethrone Satoko from what? The top JP Ladies spot? How about we stop declaring one person as the savior or king/queen of figure skating of any region or the sport and just let these athletes grow into themselves without that pressure?

Also being 'refined' is nice and all but has absolutely no objective meaning and obviously judges don't truly care about that so I feel like having a serious conversation as to who is more 'refined' is kinda silly :p