Adam Rippon officially retires | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Adam Rippon officially retires

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
One thing I don't get. He says that if you expected him to continue you were crazy.

So then, why didn't he announce it at the end of the season like everyone else, instead of toying with his fans' emotions and expectations?

xeyra

Constant state
Record Breaker
Your skating will be missed in the competitive scene, Adam, but I wish you the best for your future endeavours and hopefully you will still bring your sassy self to ice shows and other skating related things.

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
While I'm not surprised @ the announcement, I wish Adam all the best. I hope he will stay invovled with skating (shows, choreography, etc.). Adam, I'm one of those fans who still miss your curls, but I always loved watching you skate, no matter what.

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
While I'm not surprised @ the announcement, I wish Adam all the best. I hope he will stay invovled with skating (shows, choreography, etc.). Adam, I'm one of those fans who still miss your curls, but I always loved watching you skate, no matter what.

I loved his curls too!

RobinA

On the Ice
Now as a judge for Dance with the Stars Junior and appears on national TV every week, he has found a successful career outside of figure skating. That's one of the best outcomes a retired figure skater can ask for. I don't know why you guys are sad.

Well, some of us don't consider being a judge on Dancing With The Stars to be even a good outcome for a retired figure skater, but to each his own.

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
One thing I don't get. He says that if you expected him to continue you were crazy.

So then, why didn't he announce it at the end of the season like everyone else, instead of toying with his fans' emotions and expectations?

Just a SWAG, but although Adam says now he wasn’t going to continue, his life was such a swirl after the Olys he probably didn’t have time to sit and think and say when am I going to announce this.

I admire skaters like Max, who have a plan, and stick to it. But not everyone has a plan. Adam sure didn’t expect his life after skating to turn out this way, I would wager. ;)

And, jumping off from your post and not directed at your comment, I think it’s wonderful that he is working “outside the box” on programs like DWTS, that he is speaking out on causes important to him, and taking advantage of the opportunities presented.

Makes perfect sense to me:agree:

Last edited:
Well, some of us don't consider being a judge on Dancing With The Stars to be even a good outcome for a retired figure skater, but to each his own.

But then again, Len Goodman reportedly just signed a contract extension for an annual salary of US$ 4,330,564, while Bruno and Carrie Ann each make $2,400,000. ;)

Last edited:

apgold

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I will miss Adam in competition but I wish him the best in his new chapter. Hope he continues to choreograph programs as his work with Mariah Bell is paying off.

I was fortunate to see a few of his amazing skates live including Worlds 2016 FS, Skate America 2017 FS (bugs and popped shoulder drama) and his SP at Nationals prior to the Olympics. I was also fortunate to meet him a year ago in Lake Placid after his FS.

A lot has changed for him in that year and I'm sure more changes are ahead.

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Now as a judge for Dance with the Stars Junior and appears on national TV every week, he has found a successful career outside of figure skating. That's one of the best outcomes a retired figure skater can ask for. I don't know why you guys are sad.

Because we'll miss the skating. And the sass. Dear Lord, will I miss the sass. And the uncanny ability to strike Andrea Joyce silent. "Andrea, I can't explain witchcraft." :thank: Adam.

noskates

Record Breaker
Wow - what is considered a significant gig for a retired figure skater? There are a finite number of shows and a lot of skaters vying for them, probably not much money unless you're a headliner (OGM winner) and travel. I think Adam has a great personality, a super presence and anything that gets him on TV or in the public should be considered a win/win. More power to him. I'm happy for any figure skater that has a work life after they retire.

luckyguy

Match Penalty
But then again, Len Goodman reportedly just signed a contract extension for an annual salary of US$ 4,330,564, while Bruno and Carrie Ann each make $2,400,000. ;)

Should we take those oveblown salaries as a measure of quality?

russell30

Final Flight
Will miss adam’s skating competitively, had a lot of sass on the ice in his latter years. Wish him the best of luck....

Just hoping he does not turn into a Johnny Weir!! though"..:shocked:

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Will miss adam’s skating competitively, had a lot of sass on the ice in his latter years. Wish him the best of luck....

Just hoping he does not turn into a Johnny Weir!! though"..:shocked:

He won't. He's not hypercritical and has a good head on his shoulders. And he's not under the powers of Tara lol!

What hippo said. Add to that, the fact that amateur competition is only getting crazy harder with the emphasis on quads. Skating isn't everything. What if he wants to go hiking someday but can't because he has an artificial hip/steel rods in his leg bones? What if he has children someday, he'll want to move fast enough to secure their safety. Constant pain/reliance on medication---not fun.

He has opportunitie$ galore now and made the best deci$ion.