2018 Internationaux de France: Thoughts, Analysis & Reviews | Page 5 | Golden Skate

2018 Internationaux de France: Thoughts, Analysis & Reviews

BillNeal

You Know I'm a FS Fan...
Record Breaker
So what's next? A kiddie pool and a garden hose?

In addition, since people keep complaining about the plastic medals, the French Fed has decided they will award skaters with painted Christmas ornaments to string around their necks :party2:

ElSoteroLoco

On the Ice
In addition, since people keep complaining about the plastic medals, the French Fed has decided they will award skaters with painted Christmas ornaments to string around their necks :party2:

I think France should be penalized as China was this year.....Give a new country a chance.....maybe GP Korea???

ribbit

On the Ice
I think France should be penalized as China was this year.....Give a new country a chance.....maybe GP Korea???

My understanding from reading the many GS threads on this topic is that the decision was China's, not the ISU's; that is, China declined to host this year.

Koatterce

On the Ice
Country
Canada

China was the one that said they weren't going to host the GP (and other events), not the ISU taking it away from them
And Korea got China's GP offered to them but they declined so it ended up going to Finland

NoNameFace

GS given name - Beatrice
Record Breaker
And here goes second part of my thoughts taken from live experience of IdF. As I wrote earlier, Men and Ice Dance competition left the biggest impression inside me and even now, a week after it all happened, I still have some of pictures from there right before my eyes and emotions under my skin.

Men:

I think that the most important thing I got from Grenoble is to allow myself be surprised and ready to appreciate skaters I have already seen and those I saw for the first time - attending practices and seeing competition live really helped me to get closer to these men's skating I feel and to make stronger opinion. In more general sense, I started to seek more emotional, 'human' perspective in watching 5heir skating, seek these reactions, interactions, the flow of energy, expression, how they make this effort to present themselves to us aside of just making it in every competition.

I felt a little sad to see one of my sentimental faves, Keiji, in a struggle with execution of some of jumps. His programs, quality of their execution may not be very 'flashy' or top-engaging, but I was happy to see his effort and this fab Japanese feel of the music, especially in step sequences.

Romain was a revelation - he really moves beautifully and his jumps were very impressive, these quads! And so handsome... I think that SP was amazing, how he led that music and committed to choreography, as for FS I liked it less and found it a bit lacklustre, empty. I think that overall he progressed a lot in the last season and now, his skating/presentation lacks a bit of nuance, detail and that personal definition that would put him more soundly in the field, which did for me hands down his compatriot Kevin, even with his flaws and consistency.

Speaking of, I had this wish, a dream taken from being incredibly inspired after watching Kevin's FS at Autumn Classics this season, to witness it live, see if his artistry is that strong with the music as I felt through the screen. And I made this wish happen - moments like these helped me understand that inside my passion, strive for going to competitions, there is a desire to witness the moment, participate in that unique piece of time created by skater through my own emotions and sensibility, not just being there physically. Kevin's FS (and few other moments) was one of such unique experiences for me, to not only see, but FEEL an artistic freedom in skater, a total unity within music, a beauty that ran deeper than pretty/successful or clean skate - he may have a 'short edge' and not perfect lines, he may have wonky landings, his skating may sometimes appear unfinished or unkempt, but the way he commits to the movement, music, the creation process happening on the ice makes you see his flaws in a different light, as a human component to emotional rawness he presents, this perfect imperfection in expressing himself as an creator. A great contrast in programs - one edgy and dynamic, one more soft, lyrical, both with same emotional amplitude added to them with perfectly matched movement expression; aside of being a great, engaging performer by his face/eye contact, he expresses by his whole body and uses it as for the real dance/performance on the floor, the quality of his isolations, how he sustained his movement, upper body motion is just exquisite to look at. Both his program are one of the most creative I have ever seen, big kudos to John Zimmermann and Co. for making choreos that facilitate skater's personality, respect music and are fresh, interesting to look at. Between SP aerials, twizzles, sharp, musical movement being on point with darin/edgy expression of the music and feeling of freedom, something special, ethereal happening in FS Kevin really seems to have found his signature, how to infuse his skating with more personal piece, making it memorable through HIM and HOW HE managed to make it this way. FS seemed like a very personal, intimate moment of Kevin sharing piece of him in that particular state, in the process of creation - he captivated audience and left us mesmerized by how strong the whole picture felt; the level of nuance and choreographical detail, thought put into this program, how well it was reflected by Kevin in motion , how he made it all his in that 4 mins were just outstanding, to see these 'cool' moves, sequences performed so naturally, so true to their nature. This hydroblade/slide variation move has to be one of 'it' moments in figure skating for me - it will forever represent for me beauty that reached way beyond eyes.

I think that SP Deniss did should be the moment he took with himself from Grenoble to move and build forward, along with immense fans' support. It was my second time seeing him live and he grows as a performer; I was not convinced to this SP music choice, but weirdly it works as he has that 'snap' and attack to his movement and great musicality that makes you keep your eyes on him. FS seemed still like a work in progress to me, but I like the idea, strong and characteristic music and that bold image. I hope he will progress at Euros and further, because he is a great personality and has undeniable presence that gets to the people. Of course, Stephane sightings were divine, Man does not age or lose enthusiasm!

I like this 'new' Nathan, he looks just more laid-back, relaxed and into his programs I feel, particularly in SP which is such a weird delight to watch:). I liked this more 'artistic exuberance' to be seen in his skating and expression, how he infused both programs with his personality and character. There is that perfectionist shining through his demeanour, his focus, but I really like this newfound 'freedom' feel added to his motion. I was on the fence after SA with that SP, but now I dig it very much, it is out there and unapologetic, being that kind of careless and exuberant (yet controlled) celebration of music and a man in it, it plays nicely on Nathan's youtfulness and that contrast to his coolness. His FS was very impressive and suits him with this contemporary, a bit minimalistic aesthetic.

I command an effort and work put by Alexander - I saw progress since Nepela, especially in presentation/performance areas; maybe it is not that obvious, but he really seems to commit to his programs, just in his own way we may be not used to or preferring just other ways of expression. I found him weirdly cute and charming and wished that his material would play more on quirky side, giving him more character to put his skating in, making it just more sound and memorable. My impression is that his way of movement in general, coordination between his upper body and long legs (being presumably difficult for a high man he is) are just rough around edges and make the overall picture a bit choppy and uneven I feel. When I saw him at the practice, next to Jason, I saw a bigger perspective: his carriage, flow, egde work, fluidity in upper body, body expression, posture are just on different level and may make his skating, presentation, impression of it a bit lacklustre and non-descript sometimes; it is just achieving the effect through powering through, this more tough, forceful outlook than finessing and nuancing. Still, I value his effort and that he seems to be eager to push himself and fight. Quite adorable up close, cute smile and positive demeanour as we got our flags to him after medal ceremony:)

TBC...

And then was Jason... I kind of knew what to expect, but at the same time I didn't - I felt that I knew his style, how he moves and expresses from what I saw following him yet the reality, especially after he changed coaches, still surprised me, how strongly influential his quality in movement, his basics are. I mean, to see such powerful, effortless ease in just moving on ice, this kind of speed, coverage, extensions, posture all at once live/in action really made me see other Men even in a different light; yes, I totally acknowledge that Jason has no quad as for jumping skill and that could be a disgrace in terms of competitiveness for some, but I totally strenghtened myself in appreciating different kinds of skill and talent shown in each skater, seeing both guys with quads and Jason in the same arena - for me, Jason's utter and absolute sublime feel of beauty and high quality of skating/movement, finishing over jumps he has, topped with fully engaged and passionate expression, signature style over his performances are worth every praise and every money I spent. His SP just left me in awe, speechless and in wonder how he managed to create such tense, electrifying atmosphere yet feeling so at ease and compelling for the audience - I think that moving under not only Brian, but Tracy, the rest of the gang, being under influence if so many different people: skaters, choreographers, coaches helped him grow and facilitate his natural, organic abilities and fantastic basics more maturely and with consciousness that added control in his performance quality: being effective and influential in the long shot, with that lasting impression. It was so, so great to see him produce performance like that not only for us, but mostly for him: to show that the decision starts to give some effects, that he did not require a complete 'remodelling' from scratch, but he is supposed to develop and progress further based on what he achieved, having new challenges and perspectives laid to him by different impulses. He still is the same sunshine & rainbows Jason, with smile and good word for everyone (being blessed by this while he signed my flag after 'medal' ceremony:)), but I feel that there is less of that positive abandon and exuberance in his work now which is actually a good, productive thing in my opinion - he seems to have more focus over movement vs choreography, paying attention to his posture, lines, interpretation/expression being under control yet effective than just enjoying the ride 110 percent in terms of just skating. There is some newfound composure in him which is a sign of this change I feel and really suits his FS, being a totally new aesthetic and challenge to tackle. This program is more about that deliberate build on nuance, keeping along with the music and making it work, not like fully relying on it to do the most work - it was not perfect (yet), but I see him getting more and more comfortable with the vibe of the pieces, the choreography and how he wants to express it all. I actually like the 'vintage' and a bit reflective vibe, the heavier stress on this abstract storytelling notion put by this program, uncovering a new side of Jason, how it utilizes his skill and quality about movement. And while this FS poses a challenge to Jason, dares him to go outside of his 'comfort zone', the SP is a challenge itself given to the whole field and judges I feel, the sleek 'snap', timing he has to his move and gesture laced with subtle yet prominent feel of sensuality are unparalleled for me, period. He is a master of his craft and this kind of aesthetic and this program is his masterpiece to prove that.

Two more takes about Men's competition - first, I was very sad about Nicolas' injury after SP and disappointed to not being able to see that Depeche Mode FS I highly anticipated. I hope he will recover soon and will shine at Nats in January. Second thing - 'In this shirt' battle which in my opinion was won by Kevin Aymoz. I feel that he balanced perfectly raw emotion added ro the song with actual movement being strong yet fluid and effortless. Ponsart's SP is good vehicle, but a bit detached on emotional/personal side, Hawayek/Baker's FD is also good, but lacks also a deeper engagement I feel and more definition, finish in movement/choreo to break a bit this constant 'floatiness' that gets a tad too repetitive in the 2nd part for me. Still, they move beautifully and have that chemistry of best kind in my opinion: I believe them like in performers, artists about their craft, not really getting weird vibes about them being or not in real relationship.

Last edited:

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I have better medals that were awarded to me after $30 swimming competitions. I could offer them to France to give to the skaters next year? They have swimmers on them but better than plastic trays?