Are skaters allowed to touch the board? | Golden Skate

Are skaters allowed to touch the board?

NymphyNymphy

On the Ice
Can a skater touch the board for choreographic reasons? I was watching Trusova's kill bill program and in her starting choreography she skates very close to the board, right in front of the judging panel and air punches them. Is the physical contact with the board considered a deduction?

Arbitrary

Medalist
Trusova checks not to actually touch the board.
I don't know specifically for the sides but it's allowed to touch ice for choreography purposes.
Just like Yagudin did in "Winter".

malya

On the Ice
I have seen competition programs that actually start with some skaters leaning on the boards in synchro.

Otherwise... Idk

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
It was allowed, and typically enjoyed, in pro skating competitions. Kurt Browning ended his Raggy program by diving into the judges. :laugh:

It's just been in the last couple of years that I've noticed skaters like Aaron Rippon get in the judges faces and use them as part of the choreography. I think it's kinda frowned upon to actually go all out (ala Browning for example) but it doesn't seem to affect the overall score... skaters touch the boards occasional with their free leg on the landing of a jump and it doesn't get a deduction.

gkelly

Record Breaker
From 1994

I think that rules changed shortly thereafter to make this illegal, but I'm not sure of the exact wording or whether it is still in effect. I can only find rules in the ice dance section of the current ISU rulebook that touching the ice with a hand is not permitted. Nothing about touching the boards.

From 1994

I think that rules changed shortly thereafter to make this illegal, but I'm not sure of the exact wording or whether it is still in effect. I can only find rules in the ice dance section of the current ISU rulebook that touching the ice with a hand is not permitted. Nothing about touching the boards.

:laugh: :clap:

This is sort of like using the boards as a prop. Maybe the "no props" rule would be relevant. I assume, for instance, that you can't climb over the boards and kiss the girl in the front row as part of your act.