Tuktamysheva out of Russian Nats | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Tuktamysheva out of Russian Nats

Elucidus

Match Penalty
What? Why? It's not like the competition starts tomorrow.

What? Why? Elizaveta Shilenko deserves the chance to at least go. By her own skating, she earned the right to skate if two skaters WD, and that's exactly what happened. There is plenty of time for Liza to be replaced! Shilenko even lives in the same city as Tuktamysheva, which would make it easier logistically to get her to Saransk.

:confused2:
I just translated what Gorshkov said.

rachno2

Record Breaker
The question Gorshkov answered was, “who will replace (sub for) Liza at Russian Nationals?” And Gorshkov answered, “what does that mean, ‘replace her’? There are no replacements (substitutions) at Russian Nationals.”

Honestly, all of his answers came off as very cagey and deliberately ambiguous.

Nimyue

On the Ice
This is so sad :( I hope she gets to go to Euros and Worlds. She's been one of my favorite skaters to follow this season. I love her skating.

vesperalvioletta

Medalist
Country
United-States
What? Why? Elizaveta Shilenko deserves the chance to at least go. By her own skating, she earned the right to skate if two skaters WD, and that's exactly what happened. There is plenty of time for Liza to be replaced! Shilenko even lives in the same city as Tuktamysheva, which would make it easier logistically to get her to Saransk.

Ugh, could Gorshkov be any more evasive about it? Maybe it got lost in translation, but I'm not getting that there will be no substitute skater added necessarily. The way he answered the question wasn't really an answer. He probably just doesn't know.

Casual

On the Ice
Ugh, could Gorshkov be any more evasive about it? Maybe it got lost in translation, but I'm not getting that there will be no substitute skater added necessarily. The way he answered the question wasn't really an answer. He probably just doesn't know.

He answered pretty clearly that there will be no substitution at the Nationals; and also that no decisions have been made about Europeans (i.e., not ruling out she'd get the same treatment as Medvedeva).

It will all depend on who they think has the best chance of medaling. If no other skater emerges as a stronger contender at Nationals, and her health scare is resolved, she'll go to Europeans.

Country
Russia
I see disinformation here about Euro bye. Just read official answer of head of RusFed Gorshkov here
https://www.sportsdaily.ru/articles...rezident-federaczii-figurnogo-kataniya-rossii
There are two interesting bits:
1) there will not be any substitutes for RusNat participants (i.e. only 17 single ladies now)
2) he knows nothing about possible decision about Tukt. However, he claims that it's not their call now and the decision will be made only after they get couches council recommendation (which takes place after RusNat).
At Nationals may be substitutes. At Nats-2013 (at December 2012) Gosviani was 3rd substitute and competed because three girls WD.
Gorshkov does not make solutions. Solutions are made by Coaches Council and approved by President of Federation (Gorshkov).

Anyway before Worlds will be Final of Russian Cup 18-22 Feb 2019, and final solution for Worlds Team is made after this competition. There were several cases when winner of Final of Russian Cup substituted at Worlds skater who competed at Euro (if competed at Euro not so good).

Fluture

Record Breaker
RusFed really doesn‘t make sense sometimes. No substitutes? Why on earth are there even alternates then? I guess this person probably didn‘t know so just decided to answer without actually answering. I certainly do hope that they come to their senses and add someone else in because it would be nonsense for a country like Russia with such an insane depth to leave out talented skaters who deserve a chance to prove themselves.

Nevertheless, I‘m still sad about Liza... :( Wishing her a speedy recovery and all the best. :pray:

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
is there any source for that?

Sorry. Misspoke. After Nationals, the team for Euros will be announced and the Federation and coaches’ council will decide whether she gets a bye or not.

concorde

Medalist
Europeans is 21-27 January so basically she has 6 weeks from now
I am not at all optimistic that is enough recovery time.

If she misses Europeans what that means for Worlds? My guess is no go.

Spirals for Miles

Anna Shcherbakova is my World Champion
Record Breaker
Not necessarily. If she goes to the Cup Final in mid-February and performs well there, she can be put onto the Worlds team

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
Europeans is 21-27 January so basically she has 6 weeks from now
I am not at all optimistic that is enough recovery time.

If she misses Europeans what that means for Worlds? My guess is no go.

Even if she's 80%, Liza should have a solid result at Euros. There wasn't a single non-Russian European medalist on the GP this season.

concorde

Medalist
Not necessarily. If she goes to the Cup Final in mid-February and performs well there, she can be put onto the Worlds team

Even if she's 80%, Liza should have a solid result at Euros. There wasn't a single non-Russian European medalist on the GP this season.

My skater had pneumonia a couple of years back and recovery took a long time. Part of the issue is that rinks have cold dry air which is really hard on the lungs (that is why many elite skaters have exercise induced asthma). It was about 4 weeks until my skater was well enough just to return to her same practice routine. It was much longer until her full stamina returned. I just think there is not enough time between now and Europeans for Liza to be competition ready.

I am glad to hear that even if she misses Europeans, she still has a chance to make the Worlds Team. She is one tough cookie and deserves to go.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
My skater had pneumonia a couple of years back and recovery took a long time. Part of the issue is that rinks have cold dry air which is really hard on the lungs (that is why many elite skaters have exercise induced asthma). It was about 4 weeks until my skater was well enough just to return to her same practice routine. It was much longer until her full stamina returned. I just think there is not enough time between now and Europeans for Liza to be competition ready.

Hopefully any extended time off doesn't cause her to lose the 3A again. Without that jump, Liza would be a middle-of-the-pack skater with her PCS and non-jump GOE scores.

Ziotic

Medalist
It makes more sense for her to get a bye onto the worlds team and let her heel.

She doesn’t need to go to Euro’s worlds is more important.

Then they can send 3 others to Euros and the best two there go to worlds with Liza!!

Arbitrary

Medalist
If stated correct she'll have to be bed restricted and in hospital for at least two weeks there are little chances she can revive enough till EC.
Skipping EC and going to WC means she takes someone else deserved place...

Lunalovesskating

Moonbear power 🐻
Record Breaker
Liza's spots would be absolutely deserved. She's #1 in the season's ranking, has five of the best scores and medalled at every competition she participated in this season.

Just like Zhenya did last season, Liza earned a bye.
I think if Liza recovers well and quick enough they will definitely give her the coaches council spot for (maybe Euros depending on her recovery) Worlds and the two other spots will go to the top 2 at RusNats. She earned for RusFed so many medals this season

Casual

On the Ice

I am glad to hear that even if she misses Europeans, she still has a chance to make the Worlds Team. She is one tough cookie and deserves to go.

It's all true about pneumonia being a serious illness that sometimes takes forever to recover from (and proximity to cold ice would be a big no-no).

However, it's not even a fact that she has pneumonia. I wouldn't trust that diagnosis, and I wouldn't read too much into a two-week hospital stay. It's Russia - where dire (but completely false) misdiagnoses ran rampant, and where lengthy hospital stays for no good reason whatsoever are pretty common.

It could be very serious - or it could turn out nothing. We'll see. Lets hope for the best.

fabienne1996

Medalist
Country
Germany
I think it is a fact since the info what she has apparently came from mishin himself
It's all true about pneumonia being a serious illness that sometimes takes forever to recover from (and proximity to cold ice would be a big no-no).

However, it's not even a fact that she has pneumonia. I wouldn't trust that diagnosis, and I wouldn't read too much into a two-week hospital stay. It's Russia - where dire (but completely false) misdiagnoses ran rampant, and where lengthy hospital stays for no good reason whatsoever are pretty common.

It could be very serious - or it could turn out nothing. We'll see. Lets hope for the best.

Casual

On the Ice
I think it is a fact since the info what she has apparently came from mishin himself

Just because Russian doctors say something, doesn't make it so.

I'm saying, her pneumonia is not a fact, because I wouldn't trust Russian doctors. They LOVE to diagnose "pneumonia", (and even "tuberculosis", LOL; never mind "you need surgery!", "you need hospital stay!" :laugh:), in otherwise healthy people. Happens all the time.