Are programs made for COP as entertaining? | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Are programs made for COP as entertaining?

icenut84

Final Flight
Matt said:
The only problem is that that COE is such as easy way to get one's spins upgraded under CoP that everybody has adopted it and it is no longer unique to just Weir

Are you talking about change-edge spins? If so, they were never unique to just Weir. Several other skaters have done them in the past (before COP), such as Sasha Cohen, Sarah Hughes, Fumie Suguri, Kurt Browning, Kristi Yamaguchi (I think), plus several more. Weir is the latest in a line, not the inventor.

And AFAIK, it is far from being "easy".

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
There are a lot of things I like about COP. I like having the points and levels per element spelled out. It's nice to be able to track how the skaters improved and how they adjusted their programs during the season.

I believe it's made dance less of a political contest, though in some ways I agree there is a sameness to the routines. As a team finds a stunt that is consistently called a higher level, other teams just copy the stunt. ANd if a team has a stunt that scores well, they will keep it forever, thus discouraging year to year innovation in choreography.

Pairs has the most problems:
1. You can do two of the same lifts in a program. This means that for top scores you are going to see two axel lasso lifts in every program. I don't like the repetitiveness. There should be a Zayak rule on this.
2. Lack of a Zayak rule on jumps. Several teams have planned 3 triple toes in their LP: A triple toe triple toe sequence and a single triple toe. Again, it gets boring. I think the sequence was left in to encourage sequences like those done by Gordeeva Grinkov-series of hops and jumps culminating in a double or triple. But that's not what's being done.
I agree that the emphasis on axel lasso's this year has really shown up the pairs with lifting problems. However there are more pairs than you mention that in their own lower level way have not had a problem with lifts. There is a weird situation now where the top two pairs (T&M and S&Z) are not the best lifters in the world. They are Zagorska/Siudek and Petrova/Tikhonov