can MK Gold Star parabolic blades be for adult skater? | Golden Skate

can MK Gold Star parabolic blades be for adult skater?

adrianadaria

Spectator
Hi! You are wonderful forum and I learnt a lot from you already. I decided to make this post to help me in my final decision of the purchase.

My background: I am 31 years old - I skate from when I was 7 years old (only recreational). When I became 18 years old I got my Risport RF4 (with stiffness of 40) with MK Blades 21 (8th foot rocker, parrarel) and I started my journey with figure ice skating (camps, classes 1 or 2 times a week) with few years of break in between. Last year I skated entire season and now new season starts and ... I still have the same pair of skates, these are now 13 years old.

I would definitely want to upgrade. I feel like I have problem to catch my sweet spot on spins, so I read a lot of good stuff about parabolic blades, which I would like to have. I also think to switch to 7th foot rocket blade because I am more spin than jump person. I also would like to have cross cut toe pick and that it wont be too big, so all my "wants" leaded to MK Gold Star. I am happy to pay for the blades, but these are quite difficult to get in Denmark (where I live). I found one store and they told me: "Normally we do not have parabolic in stock. The reason is that you have to be really good skater to feel the difference" Is it true? The MK websites says parabolic are for every level of skating and they suppose to help with center position: "
The unique curvature and mid-section tapering of a Parabolic blade is designed to create less drag as you move across the ice. This means smoother, sharper and more energetic spins, turns and edge work no matter what level you're skating at. And, as your weight is centered due to precision geometry, you have increased levels of control and confidence to unlock your true potential. Finally, as they can be sharpened in fewer passes (with no special technique needed) they outlast conventional blades too."
The store suggested to me MK Professional Lite or of course MK Gold Star.
Question to you: Will I be overbladed with MK Gold Star? I might use them another 13 years.. haha

Bonus question: I want to buy Risport RF3 or Royal Pro. Any recommendation?

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Hi! You are wonderful forum and I learnt a lot from you already. I decided to make this post to help me in my final decision of the purchase.

My background: I am 31 years old - I skate from when I was 7 years old (only recreational). When I became 18 years old I got my Risport RF4 (with stiffness of 40) with MK Blades 21 (8th foot rocker, parrarel) and I started my journey with figure ice skating (camps, classes 1 or 2 times a week) with few years of break in between. Last year I skated entire season and now new season starts and ... I still have the same pair of skates, these are now 13 years old.

I would definitely want to upgrade. I feel like I have problem to catch my sweet spot on spins, so I read a lot of good stuff about parabolic blades, which I would like to have. I also think to switch to 7th foot rocket blade because I am more spin than jump person. I also would like to have cross cut toe pick and that it wont be too big, so all my "wants" leaded to MK Gold Star. I am happy to pay for the blades, but these are quite difficult to get in Denmark (where I live). I found one store and they told me: "Normally we do not have parabolic in stock. The reason is that you have to be really good skater to feel the difference" Is it true? The MK websites says parabolic are for every level of skating and they suppose to help with center position: "
The unique curvature and mid-section tapering of a Parabolic blade is designed to create less drag as you move across the ice. This means smoother, sharper and more energetic spins, turns and edge work no matter what level you're skating at. And, as your weight is centered due to precision geometry, you have increased levels of control and confidence to unlock your true potential. Finally, as they can be sharpened in fewer passes (with no special technique needed) they outlast conventional blades too."
The store suggested to me MK Professional Lite or of course MK Gold Star.
Question to you: Will I be overbladed with MK Gold Star? I might use them another 13 years.. haha

Bonus question: I want to buy Risport RF3 or Royal Pro. Any recommendation?
Hi and welcome! Risport RF3 or Royal Pro boots should be fine for your level, but no one should be wearing boots for 13 years they break down and that causes all kinds of issues.

Parabolic blades are a huge no. At your level you will not need them probably ever and unless you are high level or pro skater you will not feel the difference for it to even matter. I would suggest standard/traditional MK Pro or JW Coronation Ace blades for you, both have cross cut picks and and are good for spinning as well as being great for your level of skating.

Good luck!

Last edited:

adrianadaria

Spectator
Hi and welcome! Risport RF3 or Royal Pro boots should be fine for your level, but no one should be wearing boots for 13 years they break down and that causes all kinds of issues.

Parabolic blades are a huge no. At your level you will not need them probably ever and unless you are high level or pro skater you will not feel the difference for it to even matter. I would suggest standard/traditional MK Pro or JW Coronation Ace blades for you, both have cross cut picks and and are good for spinning as well as being great for your level of skating.

Good luck!
Thank you so much for your reply! I needed it :) I made the arrangement with the store to meet them this Friday to try boots and choose blades. I am very excited and very scared of how difficult it will be to get adjusted to the new skates. Another crazy fact is that I measured my feet and it is 250mm but my skate boot size says 260. The insole is also 250 so not sure if there is mistake or not, but I am really glad to be proper measured in the store. I regret that I did not do it earlier (my first skates were ordered online, but I had to sent my foot scan to them). But I look forward to try new skates hopefully this week.
Thank you for suggestions, it is very nice to hear recommendations and your professional opinion :) All the best!

WednesdayMarch

Nicer When Fed
Medalist
Country
United-Kingdom
Don't bother with Parabolic blades. Unless you have really good and strong technique and edges, they won't make a blind bit of difference to anything other than your bank balance.

Next move for you should be Coronation Ace or MK Professional. Traditionals, not gimmicky lites or revs.

adrianadaria

Spectator
Don't bother with Parabolic blades. Unless you have really good and strong technique and edges, they won't make a blind bit of difference to anything other than your bank balance.

Next move for you should be Coronation Ace or MK Professional. Traditionals, not gimmicky lites or revs.
Thank you for your recommendation :) if you still have time, could you elaborate why traditional and not light version? I am jumping single salchow, single toeloops, I tried loop & flip but I cant do them, one leg pirouettes standing and sitting(not the best ones yet). I practice as middle team in the club (there are 3 levels)

Last edited:

SK4T3

Rinkside
I'm a bit in the same skate-level as you. Risport RF3 Pro with John Wilson Coronation Ace is a great set! Hopefully your ProShop has the right boots and sizes in stock to have a personal fit with the technician there.

Have a nice fit Friday!

I find out Risport uses different "Tongue Hooks" on their RF3 Pro:

"Older" version":
RF3-pro-2017-webb-967x1030__32322.1680630941.png

"Newer" Version (from ~2021-2022):
risport-rf3-pro.jpg

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Thank you for your recommendation :) if you still have time, could you elaborate why traditional and not light version? I am jumping single salchow, single toeloops, I tried loop & flip but I cant do them, one leg pirouettes standing and sitting(not the best ones yet). I practice as middle team in the club (there are 3 levels)
Because you need to learn to do the jumps with the weight of the traditional blades, it also helps learning many spins etc. The lites really add nothing except lightness. Many people have issues learning catch foot spins in them.

Hope this helps.

adrianadaria

Spectator
I'm a bit in the same skate-level as you. Risport RF3 Pro with John Wilson Coronation Ace is a great set! Hopefully your ProShop has the right boots and sizes in stock to have a personal fit with the technician there.

Have a nice fit Friday!

I find out Risport uses different "Tongue Hooks" on their RF3 Pro:

"Older" version":
RF3-pro-2017-webb-967x1030__32322.1680630941.png

"Newer" Version (from ~2021-2022):
risport-rf3-pro.jpg
Oh Thats amazing you showed me the newer and older model :D I did not notice it while checking Risport catalogue so definitely it is something good to know while shopping on Friday :) I am so excited and I am very happy to see your reply :) thank you for it!

adrianadaria

Spectator
Because you need to learn to do the jumps with the weight of the traditional blades, it also helps learning many spins etc. The lites really add nothing except lightness. Many people have issues learning catch foot spins in them.

Hope this helps.
Definitely it helps, thank you! I also found some more of your comments regarding "lite" version of mk pro so I really hope that on Friday I will get traditional blades :) Crossing fingers that these will be available :D

SK4T3

Rinkside
Were you satisfied with your fitting and pro-shop?

Hopefully you've seen and fit one of your future boots/blades.

adrianadaria

Spectator
Were you satisfied with your fitting and pro-shop?

Hopefully you've seen and fit one of your future boots/blades.
Hey! Thank you for asking <3 It was 2 hour drive to the store, so it is sad that it is quite far away, but the owner of is really professional - she used to lead olympic team for the country so I was very impressed. She looked how I stand and she noticed my balance goes more to inside, so she said they will mount blades temporarily and I should test them and see if I need to move them more in or out and screw rest of the screws when I am fully satisfied.
I tried 2 models of boots, first Risport RF3 (old version) and then Risport Royal Pro. I felt very comfortable in RF3 and I was surprised that I do not feel it too stiff (my old boots were 40, these are 60). Royal Pro felt just a little bit different and less comfortable. I am glad I tried both because originally I thought that I would order Royal Pro.
She said that I do not need to buy the most expensive blades, which were Gold Star and that MK Pro Revolution will be good for me. I asked about Coronation Ace, but she said that she knows both and she thinks I will be happy with the MK Pro Revolution. Well I did not discuss it more and I just agreed to it.
According to Risport manual I had to dress boots and undress them 3-4 times before ice skating in them. I did it at home and I think it helped to tie laces, so I recommend it. The next day I drove to ice rink at 7 am to test the new skates and blades (it was self training for 45min). I was surprised that I am able to skate :D I did only edges steps, as cross overs, one leg glide (and checked if 2 lines shows on the ice), inside/outside edges, 3 turns. I definitely felt very good on my left legs, I could hear the blade getting into each edge perfectly. Hover the right leg did not catch any inside or outside edge. It felt like it is not in the right place. I went back home and unscrew the right blade a little bit and I tried to move it more inside. It is very difficult to move it, I think the blade is already somehow glue? Does anybody know how it actually works to adjust the blade? I made sure to screw these back and I hope I managed to move it more inside, but I am not 100%.

I went back on the ice for the training with the couch this time. In the club we have many couches and this time we had with the main couch from the club (she does not know me well, because mostly she was training higher level teams). She said we are going to do backwards pirouettes so I went to her saying that I have new blades, mounted temporarily and if I can do the exercise. She said that blades looks good (just my staring at them) and that of course I can do exercise. I said that left boot feels good but right not sure, and she did not give me any advice or said anything more. Later on we had preparation for Lutz, so I jumped very little up, since I can not do Lutz yet. Is it okay to jump on temporarily blades? I read various opinions over internet and I thought that the shop advised me from jumping but now I am not sure if she meant just any jump or just from double jumps (which I can not do yet).

Today at the evening I will have training again so I can test more my right foot with the blade, because to be honest I had trouble to mark if it got any better. I hope there will be a training couch which knows me more and can maybe help me to test the aligment of the blade.

Now the only thing I worry is how will I screw in the rest of the screws to make it permanently... the shop owner just told me to screw them in when I know that it is good placed, so it can be right immediately, after one week or no more than 1 month.
What do you guys think and can you advise me somehow? I wanted to write in the weekened but I was busy with the family and I was not on my computer at all.
Thank you so much for asking me how it went for me and thank you for all the support on my journey. It is so good to have you here!