New Kwan Article | Page 2 | Golden Skate

New Kwan Article

citrus

Rinkside
So hopefully, MK won't see any 6.0 under CoP, just what is the max possible points in CoP for Ladies, Men, etc....

I do understand that it depends on the routine but still there should be a "MAX" possible somewhere for a "perfect" performance/routine.

Ogre Mage

On the Ice
Michelle and CoP

Interesting. It is good to see Michelle working hard to adapt to CoP, though she is going about it in her own way. It is a bigger adjustment for her than almost anyone else, for she has been at the top for the longest and nurtured under the 6.0 system.

If Michelle can adapt to CoP, I believe that it could work wonders for her in competition. She acknowledges that at her age, she can no longer pound her body with 3/3 combos as she once did. But CoP gives an advantage to the complete program over one which emphasizes the jumps (look at how Buttle and Weir did in the GP compared to Joubert). Michelle's ability to up the ante jump-wise is questionable, but she surely can with her other moves. A 6-triple (no 3/3) program filled with new, interesting moves and performed with Kwan's spotless polish could easily be a winning program.

With Kwan's Tosca last year, I wasn't bothered by the lack of the 3/3. I was more concerned that I did not see "new, interesting moves." Instead, it was "Aranjuez-recycled, threadbare moves." When you've been around as long as she has, it is easy to get into a rut. Luckily, CoP is forcing her to address this.

Last edited:

RealtorGal

Record Breaker
There is no reason Michelle cannot adapt to CoP. Plenty of other skaters (e.g. Irina) have been on the scene as long as she, and they have managed quite nicely.

Fossi

Final Flight
This is Irina's first season of skating under CoP and she is benefitting from the "big guns" not being there (Michelle, Sasha and Shizuka) Funny thing, all of these three can beat Irina under 6.0 easily, so I wonder if CoP will be just as easy? Or will Irina benefit from doing GP series when the other girls didn't? And will Irina benefit from Worlds being in Moscow? All the whining when Worlds in in North America about the American girls being held up. It'll be interesting to see how the judges handle CoP if all the girls are clean.

phoenixflamezzz

Rinkside

Easily? The only time I recall Sasha and Shizuka beating Irina was at '04 Worlds and a cheesefest, where Irina was definitely not in top form.

Fossi

Final Flight
Sasha beat Irina at least twice in '02/'03 and it was done easily. Make that at least 3 times, let's not forget that Sasha won GPF over Irina. Irina made excuses and said she "gave" the win to Sasha, but nobody ever "gives" wins away.
I think we need to admit that Irina is not unbeatable. Sasha has beaten her many times. (was it Cup of Russia one year? Where Irina got bronze? And then a few cheesefests the same year? And then GPF?)
I am hoping for an upset at Worlds. Maybe Ms. Cohen will be the one.

Callystarr

Rinkside

^^^

I wouldn't necessarily say that, because if you look @ Last years CoP which has not changed drastically....Sasha Cohen was scoring 197pts in grand prix events with 4/5 triple performances...

Irina is creating all this huge buzz....yet she still has not topped 185pts...

Sasha is a much better CoP skater when she puts it together...her spins/presentation/spirals are way better and more fluid. I hate Irinas Spiral sequence although difficult..seems so sloppy (jerk over) and her positions...but don't sleep...Irina has been in the absense of 2 dominant American women who I will say will both score well in the CoP when Worlds Rolls around. đź‘Ť

Linny

Final Flight
Apprehensive?

The article said (in part):

Another international judge, who requested anonymity, speculated that Kwan was apprehensive leaving the comforts of a system that has rewarded her with a record 50 6.0 scores over the years.

"I think it scares Kwan," the judge said. "She knows she's not going to see 6.0s anymore."

End of Quote...

I'm sorta cracking up over that one. No wonder the judge requested anonymity. S/he didn't want to have their name attached to such boulderdash. Michelle, sitting out the GP because she is scared? So, why did she sit out of the GP before CoPs was instituted?

Nawh. She's not scared. I just don't see it.

Linny

mzheng

Record Breaker
Linny said:
I'm sorta cracking up over that one. No wonder the judge requested anonymity. S/he didn't want to have their name attached to such boulderdash. Michelle, sitting out the GP because she is scared? So, why did she sit out of the GP before CoPs was instituted?

Nawh. She's not scared. I just don't see it.

Linny

I don't see either.

She is the one chose to compete only under her own term, not her father, not her mother, certainly not her coach. ppl made all those comments forgot that Michelle has the leisure and means to chose sitting out GPs and take on the sport at her own term:

1) Don't need prize money to fund her skating cost or improve her living. She has well earned endosement money to provide all her needing.

2) Has more than 10 years (consective) competetion experience at very high level (top 3 at world levels). Some may argue Arakawa, Irina, Liashico, etc. just have the same years of experience, but no not consistantly at this level.

3) Her own federation, USFSA, dose not push her to compete in GP or entering any events she dosn't want to be in. As USFSA's top reliable working horse for past decade, USFSA knew better to respect her decition. Unlike Rusian fed did to Irina last season and Japanese fed did to Arakawa this season.

She sure earned all these leisures and means.

It's not fair to other skaters who chose to compete in GPs? Well life never be complete fair, isn't it? If they have all these means and chose to sit out they are very well could do so. Besides she will take the consequence if things don't work out as her expected, hasn't this been the way since after 2002?

She was quoted she think 'she can meet the chanlange' that the world will be her first CoP event. And she also quoted 'My word has been very good'. In two of articels about her. From all the things she've being doing, I'm not worried.

Last edited by a moderator:

wvgal57

On the Ice
Fossi said:
Sasha beat Irina at least twice in '02/'03 and it was done easily. Make that at least 3 times, let's not forget that Sasha won GPF over Irina. Irina made excuses and said she "gave" the win to Sasha, but nobody ever "gives" wins away.

If you'll recall Irina was in the lead at GPF, having won the short and 1st freeskate .. her mother fell ill with life threatning kidney failure during the night and Irina spent the entire night at the hospital with her. She missed morning practice but still cared enough to show up to compete as she had committed herself too.

She didn't say she "gave it away". She said jokingly that she was loaning Sasha the title and that she'd get it back. And she has, done all in grand fashion.

Sasha did win COR that year and Irina finshed 2nd .. Irina finished 3rd I think also at NKH that year. In hindsight Irina knows now that her Olympic season of '02 and '03 was the beginning of her illness and she just didn't know what was wrong with her at the time. She was sick the whole Olympic year and during '03 but put it off to flu, stress, overtraining and just being tired and burned out.

I still think Sasha can beat Irina, Michelle, and Shizuka if they skate their best and Sasha skates her best. When Sasha lands the jumps, her spins, spirals and looks just seal the package. Irina is no Sasha, but then again, Sasha is no Irina. Irina's consistency is legendary though but Sasha and Shizuka still have to get there.

Who won what in '02 or '03 has no bearing now. We have a whole new judging system that deals with skating in a new way. I think it's interesting to see how each of these athletes do and what they need to improve upon. I'd think this gives them a real challenge and a real reason to work hard and even harder. Why resist it if you really love to skate and push yourself? I see skaters this season who are embracing this system and enjoying skating again. I've not heard any unreasonable reactions, in reality, the skaters all seem to love it.

I'd also hardly call this GP series weak. We have the reigning World Champion, reigning European Champion, reigning Russian National Champion, reigning Ukranian National Champion, reigning Canadian National champion all in competition. USA was the MIA.

Each of these athletes have their own reasons for competing. Some want to earn money while doing something they love, others love to challenge and push themselves, still others desire to only do a couple competitons a year. To each his own and the sport still continues to thrive and the competitions still go on.

Lotta

On the Ice
She had her worst finish in nine years, claiming the bronze medal after having won five golds and three silvers in her previous eight championships.

Worst finish?! My @$$. That's not bad, I mean at least my girl got a medal. :)

And I forgot to say... I love the article. I'm glad she's putting lots of work in this new judging system.

I can't believe a bronze medal would be considered as "the worst". Do you realize how many skaters would love to have had a bronze medal? How many would love to be in a World Championship? The list would be long.

Joe

Kuchana

On the Ice
Joesitz said:
I can't believe a bronze medal would be considered as "the worst". Do you realize how many skaters would love to have had a bronze medal? How many would love to be in a World Championship? The list would be long.

Joe

And that doesn't even include her long list of world medals. The fact that she's stayed at the top for so long and has not been less than 3rd since 1996 is impressive in of itself. I'm in utter amazement of that alone.

Now wait a minute. She did have "her worst finish in nine years." Starting in 1996, she got first, second, first, second, first, first, second, first, and then third. Third is "worse than first or second."

However, Dortmund wasn't her worse finish in 10 years. That would be fourth in 1995.

Mathman:)

Eeyora

Final Flight
I am thrilled that Michelle is working hard to adapt to Code of Points. It will be interesting to see how she does. Right now she is a big question mark. I am extremely nervous.

I actually think Irina may be good for Michelle because last time Irina was in peak form. She was able to push herself more in 00 and 01 Worlds.

As for Sasha I do believe she could win if they all skate cleanly. However many have argued they changed the value of COP this year from last year.