2019-20 Canadian Figure Skating | Page 48 | Golden Skate

2019-20 Canadian Figure Skating

kenboy123

On the Ice
I agree that they need to give Gabby a break. Send Emily, Alison and Alicia to 4CC and see how they do, get Emily her minimums. If Gabby is in a better place in March MAYBE send her to worlds, but I think she should take the rest of the season off. Two of the 3 4CC girls would be just fine. Send Madeline to junior worlds because she really has a lot of potential and it would be good for her to get some international experience.

I wonder who will go to juniors now that we have 2 girls who would have probably been the junior ladies for worlds trying to fight for senior world spots...which makes the even more complicated...i guess Schizas will go, but who else if both Emily and Alison makes Worlds???

Roo87

Medalist
I wonder who will go to juniors now that we have 2 girls who would have probably been the junior ladies for worlds trying to fight senior world spots...which makes the even more complicated...i guess Schizas, but who else if Alison both Emily and Alison makes Worlds???

What about Catherine Carle?

pearly

Record Breaker
Honestly it comes off as: as long as she says she can skate, they'll let her. Everyone knows the situation that Skate Canada is in with her being the only top-tier skater they have. But still, there was no way they should've let her skate last year. A lot of adults involved could be making better judgment calls than they have been for the last two years.

I don't know if anyone is surprised by how this played out today. I'm not, the whole season has been leading to it. What surprised me was how well Gabby did last year at Worlds considering everything. A thread dedicated to her current condition has recently been moved or deleted, but quite a few people expected and predicted this sort of outcome.

*~RussianBleux~*

Medalist
I wonder who will go to juniors now that we have 2 girls who would have probably been the junior ladies for worlds trying to fight for senior world spots...which makes the even more complicated...i guess Schizas will go, but who else if both Emily and Alison makes Worlds???

Kaiya, no? How many spots does Canada have for JW? Kaiya should be there no matter what IMO. She has a huge amount of potential and has probably improved the most between the beginning of the season and now getting a 3Lz+3T.

kenboy123

On the Ice
Kaiya, no? How many spots does Canada have for JW? Kaiya should be there no matter what IMO. She has a huge amount of potential and has probably improved the most between the beginning of the season and now getting a 3Lz+3T.

We have 2 ladies for Junior Worlds...

Osmond4gold

Record Breaker
I wonder who will go to juniors now that we have 2 girls who would have probably been the junior ladies for worlds trying to fight senior world spots...which makes the even more complicated...i guess Schizas, but who else if Alison both Emily and Alison makes Worlds???

Emily and Alison for Sr. Worlds, and Maddie and Kaiya for Jr. Worlds. Congrats to Emily as I am sure this must have been more than was anticipated. Also to Alison, as she just became a Senior skater for me, and was as exited as I have ever seen Alison in the K&C.

My ache is for Gabby but I agree with others that perhaps some time away is good thing, as this sport can be so frustrating and joyless at times after so much effort. She has achieved more than most already and should be so proud, and if she wants to come back after some rest, go for it!

My thoughts also to Aurora as I wonder if she had been healthy.... Wow, did anyone predict this!

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
The best thing for Canada and Gabby right now is if she's left off the team. It's becoming a habit for Skate Canada to drag her out to try to save spots but at this point she needs to shut it down for the season and start looking to the future with these younger girls. Pushing these girls to have to get better without having to rely on Gabby is the only way Canada can build for the future. Even if Gabby continues to Beijing after that she most likely will call it quits so start building for the post Olympics now and not later.

AlinaRina

Rinkside
The best thing for Canada and Gabby right now is if she's left off the team. It's becoming a habit for Skate Canada to drag her out to try to save spots but at this point she needs to shut it down for the season and start looking to the future with these younger girls. Pushing these girls to have to get better without having to rely on Gabby is the only way Canada can build for the future. Even if Gabby continues to Beijing after that she most likely will call it quits so start building for the post Olympics now and not later.

^ This. SkateCanada spent so much time throwing Patrick Chan at every competition that when he retired, they had no men (though at least PC maintained a relatively high calibre). They need to develop the young talent and get them experience. I feel for Gabby, but you can only give her so many chances, and I don't think it's doing her any good to throw her out there when she's not physically or mentally prepared. She's being consistently outperformed by numerous skaters, and those skaters deserve a chance.

DSQ

Record Breaker
Country
United-Kingdom
I don't know if anyone is surprised by how this played out today. I'm not, the whole season has been leading to it. What surprised me was how well Gabby did last year at Worlds considering everything. A thread dedicated to her current condition has recently been moved or deleted, but quite a few people expected and predicted this sort of outcome.

Yeah I noticed that the thread had been deleted, I wonder why?

I loved what I saw of Schumacher! I think sending all three top finishers to 4CC would be a good idea.

I like Gabby but time off wouldn’t be a bad thing.

Mishaminion

Record Breaker
I like Gabby and I know she has been through a lot, but if she's sent to Worlds or 4CC it would be hugely unfair on the other girls.

Artemisa

Final Flight
I like Gabby and I know she has been through a lot, but if she's sent to Worlds or 4CC it would be hugely unfair on the other girls.

Probably ... but the other girls don't have a shot at worlds and the number of places of canada for next year will suffer with that ... we have russia, usa, japan, korea probably kazakistan... wich probably means that the first placement of canada with luck will be 10-12 place ... with gabby is a wild card but probably she can be in the top 10 maybe with very lucky i the top 6 if she skates super clean ... I don't know the other ladies very well but if canada wants a good placement for keeping spots they need to send gaby .. even if is unfair ... for the 4cc i think they can send the first 3 ... for worlds they need her

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I loved what I saw of Schumacher! I think sending all three top finishers to 4CC would be a good idea.

Madeline Schizas doesn't have the 4CC minimums and can't get them in time. She only has JW minimums.

She could be sent to a Senior B later on and if she gets the minimums, add her as a substitute for Worlds.

Ziotic

Medalist
I don’t have any proof, but I’m fairly certain Gabby isn’t even training or not at the level needed for elite skating.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Probably ... but the other girls don't have a shot at worlds and the number of places of canada for next year will suffer with that ... we have russia, usa, japan, korea probably kazakistan... wich probably means that the first placement of canada with luck will be 10-12 place ... with gabby is a wild card but probably she can be in the top 10 maybe with very lucky i the top 6 if she skates super clean ... I don't know the other ladies very well but if canada wants a good placement for keeping spots they need to send gaby .. even if is unfair ... for the 4cc i think they can send the first 3 ... for worlds they need her

Gabby in her present physical condition and mental outlook is unpredictable. We all thought she would improve in the 3 months since SC, but she actually skated worse at Nationals than she did at SC. There is just 2 months to Worlds, and there is zero guarantee that Gabby would perform better in March. If she went to Worlds in similar condition as she is in now, she might not even make the FS, which would be the worst disaster possible, both for Gabby and for Canada.

I believe Emily and Alison can perform well enough to keep the two spots for Canada.

Mishaminion

Record Breaker

She was 11th in the FS and vastly overscored in the SP, maybe it is about time Canada stops trying to rely on her and invests more in some of these younger girls.
This is not a one off thing, it has gone on long enough, I wish she would take time out to truly get herself together...because it is just one setback after another, and yet she's expected to still be Canadian number one.

The pressure on Gabby herself to "save" Canadian ladies is horribly unfair on her mentally, she has struggled so much with her physical and mental health as it is.

It is also unfair on the others because instead of being given more chances to improve and gain experience, they're left behind in favour of Gabby so perhaps their own motivation suffers...what's the point in them skating well if they aren't rewarded?

fzztsimmons

On the Ice
I don’t have any proof, but I’m fairly certain Gabby isn’t even training or not at the level needed for elite skating.

Quite a contradiction you've got going on there...? If you have no proof then how do you know she isn't training?
And considering in the last year she has had what, broken ribs, concussion, ankle problems (was in a boot around christmas time) and pneumonia before nationals - yeah, she probably isn't in peak form at the moment.