2019-20 Canadian Figure Skating | Page 47 | Golden Skate

2019-20 Canadian Figure Skating

madraykin

Rinkside
Which 2 ladies are going to worlds now???

I'd guess they'll hold off until after 4CC? Bausback still needs the Worlds minimums but she's got both the national title and the highest SB so far so if she can get them then I think they've got to send her.

Then between Daleman and Pineault.

And if Bausback can't get the minimums then Daleman and Pineault.

jersey1302

On the Ice
Country
Canada
I'd guess they'll hold off until after 4CC? Bausback still needs the Worlds minimums but she's got both the national title and the highest SB so far so if she can get them then I think they've got to send her.

WOW.. I cant even comprehend what happened lol. I think what Skate Canada needs to do is let Emily get her minimums..she clearly can get them. Schizas needs to get them for 4CC and I think she could do that too if they want to send her to that. As for Daleman they need to send her to 4CC and see how she fares there after some more training before making a decision on who goes to Montreal. I think Emily should be sent as she won the championship and I think the other spot needs to be held until after 4CC. It might be time to give the young girls the chance to gain some of this experience vs the best in the world.

AlinaRina

Rinkside

I really don't see the value in sending Gabby, either for Canada or for her. She's not put a clean program on the ice all season and she just doesn't seem to have her jumps yet, and would probably benefit from some time away from competition stress. I'd rather send Mallet and Pineault or Bausback and Pineault, or even Alison Schumacher over her. But I'm guessing 4CC will be Bausback, Daleman, and Pinaeult/Mallet/Schumacher.

I don't envy those making the decision though. It's going to be a tough one.

madraykin

Rinkside
WOW.. I cant even comprehend what happened lol. I think what Skate Canada needs to do is let Emily get her minimums..she clearly can get them. Schizas needs to get them for 4CC and I think she could do that too if they want to send her to that. As for Daleman they need to send her to 4CC and see how she fares there after some more training before making a decision on who goes to Montreal. I think Emily should be sent as she won the championship and I think the other spot needs to be held until after 4CC. It might be time to give the young girls the chance to gain some of this experience vs the best in the world.

The problem with sending Daleman to 4CC is it doesn't give her time to recover from her pneumonia.

Schizas doesn't have the 4CC minimums and unless she's already got something lined up for next weekend I don't think she's got the time to get them.

If it were me I'd actually be tempted to send Bausback, Pineault and Mallet to 4CC and then 'winner' (or top 2 if Daleman isn't better by then) gets the Worlds spot.

(Note: I'm assuming Schumacher goes to JWC alongside Ruiter)

Supernovaimplosion

Final Flight
As far as it goes, Canadian ladies are never stars in junior, so if she's not on the bleeding edge (which I would agree she isn't), that doesn't particularly bother me. Kaiya at 13 is noticeably better than Kaetlyn or Gabrielle were at 13, for comparison. I don't know that she's ever going to be a World medalist like they grew up to be, but she seems on track to be somebody who can put up respectable numbers internationally with some consistency.
Yes, Canadian ladies are late bloomers. Kaetlyn was still a novice at 14, and I read an interview where she didn't have her lutz until she was 17. She also didn't land a loop in competition until after her injury. I think because of the Russians (who are amazing) we expect all ladies to rise when they're 15 or they're done, but a lot of ladies dont have a meteoric rise when they're really young.

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
The problem with sending Daleman to 4CC is it doesn't give her time to recover from her pneumonia.

Schizas doesn't have the 4CC minimums and unless she's already got something lined up for next weekend I don't think she's got the time to get them.

If it were me I'd actually be tempted to send Bausback, Pineault and Mallet to 4CC and then 'winner' (or top 2 if Daleman isn't better by then) gets the Worlds spot.

(Note: I'm assuming Schumacher goes to JWC alongside Ruiter)

Everybody's got an opinion, so here's mine.

You send the top 3 placement National Championship skaters who have the 4CC minimums. End of story.

You send the top 2 placement National Championship ladies who have the World minimums. End of story.

Tinkering with the lineup to invest in faltering veterans is unwise. It's not like Gabby had this one bad competition to mar an otherwise sterling competitive record. It is cruel to pile on more pressure when she's clearly not ready to handle it.

Cut her loose, give her some time. She can earn her spot back on the big stage next year, or she can move on with her life.

kenboy123

On the Ice

You send the top 3 placement National Championship skaters who have the 4CC minimums. End of story.

You send the top 2 placement National Championship ladies who have the World minimums. End of story.

Tinkering with the lineup to invest in faltering veterans is unwise. It's not like Gabby had this one bad competition to mar an otherwise sterling competitive record. It is cruel to pile on more pressure when she's clearly not ready to handle it.

Cut her loose, give her some time. She can earn her spot back on the big stage next year, or she can move on with her life.

Why don't just send the top 3 finishers who have the minimums to go to 4CC to 4CC...

and pick the top 2 from 4CC (assuming they have earned their minimums) to the Worlds???...or am i missing something...it honestly feels wrong to leave Bausback at home I feel like...but i guess she can just go to Juniors too...

theharleyquinn

Medalist

Agreed. There needs to be standards and they should stick to them. Between last season and this season, they should've given her a proper break to begin with. This truly has gone on long enough.

ladyjane

Medalist
Country
Netherlands
I actually expected Gabby to fall back, pneumonia is no joke, and the FS does require stamina. Which pneumonia, even when you're on the mend, does not provide you with. I hope the Canadian Federation gives her time to recover, and she'll go to Worlds after all. Perhaps a smaller competition than 4CC to see how she's doing beforehand (but only if she's fit)? I really feel sorry for her. Having had to cope with so many issues (injuries, mental health) must be so, so hard. But she's still fighting, and I can't but respect her for that.

pearly

Record Breaker
Agreed. There needs to be standards and they should stick to them. Between last season and this season, they should've given her a proper break to begin with. This truly has gone on long enough.

Someone should have intervened a while ago. I don't know if SC is forcing her or if the forces it herself, but still waiting for an adult to step in.

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Why don't just send the top 3 finishers who have the minimums to go to 4CC to 4CC...

and pick the top 2 from 4CC (assuming they have earned their minimums) to the Worlds???...or am i missing something...it honestly feels wrong to leave Bausback at home I feel like...but i guess she can just go to Juniors too...

I think we're saying the same thing.

Essentially, my post is pushback on those advocating gifting the veterans with either one of these competitions.

Canada has some rising prospects, so why hold them back? Give them the experience, the exposure... give them a chance.

theharleyquinn

Medalist
Someone should have intervened a while ago. I don't know if SC is forcing her or if the forces it herself, but still waiting for an adult to step in.

Honestly it comes off as: as long as she says she can skate, they'll let her. Everyone knows the situation that Skate Canada is in with her being the only top-tier skater they have. But still, there was no way they should've let her skate last year. A lot of adults involved could be making better judgment calls than they have been for the last two years.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Alison Schumacher and Alicia Pineault have the WORLD minimums.
Bausback got the FS minimum at Warsaw Cup, but missed the new SP minimum by less than a point.

I'd say send these 3 to 4CC to boost their World Standings, which currently are:
Schumacher 83
Pineault 98
Bausback 164

Then choose the two who do best at 4CC.

Schizas is too inexperienced to go to Worlds. Send her to a comp to get her JW minimums and send her to JW with Ruiter.

Gabby needs time away from competition and some serious help.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
for once i don't disagree with chuck.

however, please let's not make speculations about gabby/skate canada etc...

her coach is a good coach and is very caring. she's fought through so much in the past... just last year... came back from 5th at nationals to 11th at worlds.... if we knew the future and someone promised she would finish in top 12 in montreal, everyone would agree to send her.

i think she deserves a vacation...and a long stretch of life without illness/injury ..

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
I think we're saying the same thing.

Essentially, my post is pushback on those advocating gifting the veterans with either one of these competitions.

Canada has some rising prospects, so why hold them back? Give them the experience, the exposure... give them a chance.

the issue is that most of the rising prospects have not earned their scores for worlds...

fzztsimmons

On the Ice
Watching gabby cry was heartbreaking. I hope she gets some time to heal, both physically and mentally. She is an incredibly strong skater but I think right now she needs some time off.

heartyxo

On the Ice
I agree that they need to give Gabby a break. Send Emily, Alison and Alicia to 4CC and see how they do, get Emily her minimums. If Gabby is in a better place in March MAYBE send her to worlds, but I think she should take the rest of the season off. Two of the 3 4CC girls would be just fine. Send Madeline to junior worlds because she really has a lot of potential and it would be good for her to get some international experience.