Coronavirus and the new season | Page 24 | Golden Skate

Coronavirus and the new season

Lunalovesskating

Moonbear power 🐻
Record Breaker
The JGP and Challenger series will take place. The Challenger series will no longer be considered a series so there is no prize money, but skaters will still receive World Standing points..
They should have just cancelled it...

mrrice

Record Breaker
Most of you know about my Marching Band and Dance activities over the years. Sadly, Coronavirus has meant the cancellation of the famous Tournament Of Roses Parade out here in California. I know it's necessary but it will be heartbreaking for the Seniors who often fundraise for years to pay for plane tickets, hotels, and food. Praying this ends sooner rather than later.

Lunalovesskating

Moonbear power 🐻
Record Breaker
It is not official.
Neither the tweet nor the linked article say that it is official.
One member of the IOC is saying what he sees in his crystal ball.

I meant official in the sense of an official source (in this case the former vice-president of IOC) announcing the possibility of a cancellation, I did not mean that they already have decided it. There were rumours for months about it, so people waited for someone to finally talk about the issue.

TallyT

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Most of you know about my Marching Band and Dance activities over the years. Sadly, Coronavirus has meant the cancellation of the famous Tournament Of Roses Parade out here in California. I know it's necessary but it will be heartbreaking for the Seniors who often fundraise for years to pay for plane tickets, hotels, and food. Praying this ends sooner rather than later.

I am so sorry, it's a reminder of all the people in other areas and other interests who are just as horribly affected as we are.

Meanwhile, this tweet on the Olympic Channel is rather depressing (if in my opinion rather too early to write off Beijing, it doesn't help)

Senegal and the International Olympic Committee "mutually agreed" to postpone the 2022 Summer Youth Olympic Games to 2026. https://twitter.com/olympicchannel/status/1283426010814349313

nussnacker

one and only
Record Breaker
Well it's offical now. If the 2021 Tokyo Olympics will get cancelled, so will Beijing 2022.
https://twitter.com/CBCOlympics/status/1283519030259744781?s=20

With IOC officials considering the possibility of cancellation of 2021 Olympics, it’s even more funny that ISU is trying to keep a straight face with their plans for GP series this fall.
ISU seems to be delusional, the virus isn’t just going to magically disappear like a miracle all over the World by fall.

Apple1078

Final Flight
This might be too optimistic (I'm thinking of 2022, not the GP series 2021 as I think that's unlikely to happen at this stage) but there is potentially some good news coming out of Oxford this morning where phase 1 trials of their vaccine have produced positive results to an extent that they've already started phase 3 trials.

Nobody can put final dates but the vaccine could be fairly widely available around September (in a few months). This vaccine development (researchers at Oxford University) is being supported by the UK government and AstraZeneca and is the front runner. Looks like these results are better than what was reported a few days ago regarding Moderna (those results were sort of positive, too) that is supported by the U.S. government.

So maybe there's a small hope regarding Beijing 2022?

macy

Record Breaker
This might be too optimistic (I'm thinking of 2022, not the GP series 2021 as I think that's unlikely to happen at this stage) but there is potentially some good news coming out of Oxford this morning where phase 1 trials of their vaccine have produced positive results to an extent that they've already started phase 3 trials.

Nobody can put final dates but the vaccine could be fairly widely available around September (in a few months). This vaccine development (researchers at Oxford University) is being supported by the UK government and AstraZeneca and is the front runner. Looks like these results are better than what was reported a few days ago regarding Moderna (those results were sort of positive, too) that is supported by the U.S. government.

i also read the same regarding the vaccines. it's good news at least, and they are still aiming for early next year.

i think as long as they get people vaccinated and a good portion of cases under control, things will return to normal mid to late next year if the vaccine is effective of course.

covid will never go completely away, it will always be around, it just needs to become controlled to some extent. people are still going to catch it even after they produce a vaccine.

if all goes as planned, i think tokyo will happen with some changes regarding visitors/audiences and monitoring of athletes. again, if all goes as planned, they really owe it to the athletes to make it happen if things are getting better by then. if there is a will, there's a way.

it is way, way too far out to even make a prediction about beijing.

concorde

Medalist

Do you really want to be the first to get the vaccine? I don't since there is no way they can predict the mid and long term side effects.
Who will even eligible for the first vaccine (there will be limited supply since factories can only produced so much)? 1st responders, the elderly, those with compromised immune systems? I doubt that healthy young adults (i.e., world class athletes) will be high on the priority list.

My across the street neighbor is in the vaccine development business. After speaking with him, I had two take aways: vaccines that look promising in the early trails do not typically pan out and the fastest vaccine that has ever been developed was been for ebola and that took 5 1/2 years.

I expect that this Olympic cycle (Both summer and winter) will not happen since I do not expect things to go back to even close to the old "normal" for 2-3 years. I hope I am wrong. Sorry to be such a Debbie Downer.

Tuttifrutti78

Spectator
5 years for a vaccine 😱 the “experts” have been saying they think by early next year we will be able to start vaccinations but like you said, how likely will the first versions be effective/without serious side effects...

plushyfan

Record Breaker
Country
Hungary
Maybe the vaccine doesn't solve the problem because the former patients lose their protection after a month or two..the antibodies leave the body so they can get sick again. The vaccine is useless probably. I read this today. But I hope the scientistsare going to find the solution :sad21:

nussnacker

one and only
Record Breaker
Even if all the trials will be done quickly and vaccine ready this year, it will take months and months and months to get the whole population vaccinated.

NanaPat

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Maybe the vaccine doesn't solve the problem because the former patients lose their protection after a month or two..the antibodies leave the body so they can get sick again. The vaccine is useless probably. I read this today. But I hope the scientistsare going to find the solution :sad21:

I think the idea is that vaccines work differently from actually having the infection and the antibodies will last longer. That's the hope anyway.

And in response to the question about how long it takes to get people vaccinated, in 2009 there was a bad flu that wasn't included in the regular flu shot. There were mass clinics in our town to vaccinate everyone for the new strain of flu (only those 65 and over or in poor health or caregivers got the regular flu shot for free). Because we know a retired nurse, we were recruited to help at one of the clinics. The volunteers just greeted people, assured them they were in the right place, kept them in orderly lines, and told them when to proceed to the actual clinic. After that, there was a big push to get all the pharmacists trained to give injections, which has now happened. You can now get your regular flu shots from either a pharmacist or a mass clinic, and pharmacists are the preferred delivery method for things like the shingles vaccine.

So, actually administering the vaccine (assuming it is available in sufficient quantities) to everyone would not be that difficult in Canada. It helps that we have near-universal medicare, so billing insurance is not an issue. Being first world helps as well.

concorde

Medalist
I read on CNN about the side effects one volunteer (male, 29-years old) had after getting the Modera vaccine. 12 hours after getting the 2nd dose, he developed a 103 fever and had to get medical attention. Then after being released from the medical care, he fainted. Good news -he recovered in a day. And that is being touted as being one of the more promising vaccines.

As I said before, I do not plan the be one of the first to get a vaccine as soon as it is released to the general public.

The next couple of years are going to be L O N G.

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States

I saw that and am sorry it is something you looked forward to. I was actually shocked that things are being cancelled next year already. And I disagree it was necessary. If people would wear masks, we could get this under control in 4-8 weeks. Per the CDC I believe

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I read on CNN about the side effects one volunteer (male, 29-years old) had after getting the Modera vaccine. 12 hours after getting the 2nd dose, he developed a 103 fever and had to get medical attention. Then after being released from the medical care, he fainted. Good news -he recovered in a day. And that is being touted as being one of the more promising vaccines.

As I said before, I do not plan the be one of the first to get a vaccine as soon as it is released to the general public.

The next couple of years are going to be L O N G.
ey

I'm going to be one of the first people to get it. BTW, I saw that person interviewed last night. During that phase of the testing, they were giving a high, medium and low dose of the vaccine. He was one of the high dose recipients. Based on his side effects and those of a couple of others, they are no longer going to test or use the high dose. That is why they test. That vaccine is now entering Phase III trials during which 75,000 people will be tested. About 30% of vaccines make it out of Phase III, so it may never be offered. I'm not trying to change your mind, just giving info.

And we don't have to have a vaccine. All we have to do is wear masks. Like every other country that has it under control. I'm so angry at people's selfishness I can't even. So many more people are going to die unnecessarily. On a secondary and more selfish level, I am so sorry for our skaters. It is entirely possible events will be held in Europe and they won't be able to go because there is a travel ban.

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States

The vaccine isn't useless. They have things to account for what you're saying. I don't understand the science well enough to understand it. That is why there will need to be multiple doses though