Which skaters are still with their first coach? | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Which skaters are still with their first coach?

surimi

Congrats to Sota, #10 in World Standings!
Record Breaker
I am not completely sure, but I think Yuhana Yokoi has never left the Howa coaching team in Nagoya. Even after their main coach Nagakubo left, she's still with the lady coaches who already assisted him back then and went to competitions with the team's skaters, and now they are listed as her main coaches. So - partly true that she's still with her original coaches. She's just 20 though.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Roman Sadovsky has been with his current coaches since he was 8 (though he started skating at 5).

He just turned 21 and is current Canadian Champion. :yahoo:

as mentioned in the other thread... in 2016-17, Roman did go to Orser and Barkell at TCC but came back to Tracey and Grigor the following year ;)

lady_bee

Medalist
I can only name some retired skaters, for example, Midori Ito & Machiko Yamada, who had been not only coaching but also fostering Midori like a parent.

sillylionlove29

Rinkside
Hasn’t Keegan Messing been with Ralph Burghart for his whole career??

Edited: yes google search tells me that has been his only coach.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Greengemmonster

On the Ice
Since she was 9! Yes, that's a long time, especially since she has most likely been encouraged to switch to a coach with more of a reputation.

Bradie has done amazingly well with her current coach! Plus I think there is a charm to being the number one priority student!

Dreamer57

Record Breaker
Yuna Shiraiwa is still with Mie Hamada who has been coaching her since she was 6.
I think she also coached Yukina Ota from the start.

Also I would say that Kaori and Mai have both been coached by Sonoko Nakano / Mitsuko Graham since their beginnings. Unless someone can correct me on that~

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
While no longer eligible skaters:

Yuka Sato was coached by her parents Nobuo and Komiko Sato most of her career, she did move to Canada in 89 to be coached by Peter Dunfield for the last 5 or so years of her eligible career.

Ryan Bradley was coached his whole competitive career by Tom Z.

Paul Wylie worked his first 9 years with Carlo Fassi, then switched to Mary and Evy Scotvold for the rest of his singles career. (he did pairs at one point in between and was coached by John Nicks).

Nancy Kerrigan was coached by the Scotvolds for her entire career.

Arriba627

TWO-TIME WORLD CHAMPION 🔥
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Shoma was with Team Yamada (Machiko Yamada & Mihoko Higuchi) from the age of 5 until fairly recently (age 22) when he shocked everyone by "graduating" and switching to Stephane Lambiel. I think of his situation as being similar to Jason's when I remember Jason saying "Kori was my first coach, and she'll be my last coach." They are good examples of " Never say never. "

Interesting thread el. Thank you.

kmw227

On the Ice
Country
United-States
Elena Radionova was coached by Inna Goncharenko from the age of 4 until the age of 18 when she switched to Buianova.

Lyyli

On the Ice
Laura Lepistö was coached by Virpi Horttana for her entire career, about 20 years.

Tolstoj

Record Breaker
Laura Lepistö was coached by Virpi Horttana for her entire career, about 20 years.

Underrated coach too i'd say, she has done a great job even with Viveca Lindfors up to Europeans last year and now with Linnea Ceder.

All her skaters have big jumps and good skating skills.

kolyadafan2002

Fan of Kolyada
Final Flight
Shoma was with Team Yamada (Machiko Yamada & Mihoko Higuchi) from the age of 5 until fairly recently (age 22) when he shocked everyone by "graduating" and switching to Stephane Lambiel. I think of his situation as being similar to Jason's when I remember Jason saying "Kori was my first coach, and she'll be my last coach." They are good examples of " Never say never. "

Interesting thread el. Thank you.

Who knows, maybe Jason will go back to Kori for a last season when he decides he wants to stop. Then technically she would have been his first and last coach

gordana

On the Ice
Country
Russia
Mikhail Kolyada has been his entire career with Valentina Chebotareva although received some offers of switching to a more famous coach.

skylark

Gazing at a Glorious Great Lakes sunset
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Ashley Cain-Gribble has been coached by her parents for her entire career.

She said that at some point when she was small, they tried to switch her to another coach, but in Ashley's words she "wouldn't do anything."

As she got past the age when that kind of stubbornness wasn't cute anymore :rofl: ... my words), Ashley has continued with her parents as her pairs coaches, and she's said they are her biggest source of inspiration.

ladyjane

Medalist
Country
Netherlands
I can't think of current skaters, but wasn't Bruno Massot with Jean-Francois Ballester basically from beginning to end, with maybe a couple of short side trips and additions as he and Aljona Savchenko started their partnership?

This is true. In his tribute to him Bruno stated he considered Jean-Francois as a kind of second father, and he was with him from beginning to end (sometimes in combination with other coaches).

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Again, not a current skater but IIRC, Josee Chouinard was coached by Louis Strong her entire competitive career. She worked with Doug Leigh as a pro, and at one point (at age 30) landed a 3A under his tutelage.

ana

On the Ice
Carolina Kostner was coached by Michael Huth...
Stephane Lambiel was coached by Peter Gruter his entire carrer.

skylark

Gazing at a Glorious Great Lakes sunset
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Again, not a current skater but IIRC, Josee Chouinard was coached by Louis Strong her entire competitive career. She worked with Doug Leigh as a pro, and at one point (at age 30) landed a 3A under his tutelage.

Wow, that's very impressive.

I came late to this party, but I'm glad the thread showed up at the top of the list today. It's an interesting topic; thanks for coming up with it, @el henry. :clap:

To go a bit tangential, Katarina Witt, in her autobiography, talked about continuing to book sessions with Frau Mueller throughout her long career as a professional, and giving her the greatest respect, and still, if I remember correctly, getting strongly scolded. That style wouldn't work for everyone, but in light of how strong a personality Witt is, I thought it was interesting. She also opined that Michelle Kwan firing Frank Carroll was "cruel," and not surprisingly to Katerina, it was due to karma that Michelle lost the 2002 olympics.

katymay

Medalist
Wow, that's very impressive.

I came late to this party, but I'm glad the thread showed up at the top of the list today. It's an interesting topic; thanks for coming up with it, @el henry. :clap:

To go a bit tangential, Katarina Witt, in her autobiography, talked about continuing to book sessions with Frau Mueller throughout her long career as a professional, and giving her the greatest respect, and still, if I remember correctly, getting strongly scolded. That style wouldn't work for everyone, but in light of how strong a personality Witt is, I thought it was interesting. She also opined that Michelle Kwan firing Frank Carroll was "cruel," and not surprisingly to Katerina, it was due to karma that Michelle lost the 2002 olympics.

I think it was more about the money. Frank demands a large chunk of all endorsement money, Michelle was an adult and I don't think she thought at that point his management was worth the money he was extracting from her earnings. Another one of Frank's more famous students once stated that he felt like he was being bled dry under Frank's coaching contract.