2017-18 State of U.S. Ladies Skating | Page 111 | Golden Skate

2017-18 State of U.S. Ladies Skating

skatinggold

On the Ice
Beautiful piece of music choice from Karen. Two weeks to a competition, that's a very short time. I hope she is ready and gives it her all.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
I resemble that remark, too! Yes, he did Hand The Colbys theme songs. Another one too, was it Knots Landing or Falcon Crest? (I watched them all in the early 80s, thank god for VHS by then!) Besides that and Rocky I couldn't tell you what else he's done.

Hmm, maybe Ashley could channel her Alexis Carrington Colby though I wonder if those shoulder pads could interfere with the jumps? You know portray the diva or a witch with a capital B lol. She could play it up to the hilt.

Miss Ice

Let the sky fall~
Medalist
Has anyone seen the EDGE QUALITY of Angela Wang? Her skating quality is magnificent, and most of her jumps are preceded by a gorgeous, difficult entrance. Why haven't we seen her on any podiums? :confused:

Spirals for Miles

Anna Shcherbakova is my World Champion
Record Breaker
I guess because she's not exactly the FUTURE of US skating and because she wasn't the most hyped as a junior so she's not as hyped now. Honestly, I think it's a USFSA thing--even international things are determined by them since she can't podium if she isn't even entered. I wish she had more assignments, though. Maybe she'll get Gracie's COC spot?

mrrice

Record Breaker
Has anyone seen the EDGE QUALITY of Angela Wang? Her skating quality is magnificent, and most of her jumps are preceded by a gorgeous, difficult entrance. Why haven't we seen her on any podiums? :confused:

I have and you're 100% correct about Angela. She is a beautiful skater with deep edges and powerful jumps. She has been on the verge of greatness several times and if she can manage to put 2 strong programs together at Nationals, she could make the team. Other than Mirai, none of our Ladies has been spectacular this season. We'll have to see how things go once the GP gets into full swing.

Moxiejan

Medalist
Country
United-States
I guess because she's not exactly the FUTURE of US skating and because she wasn't the most hyped as a junior so she's not as hyped now. Honestly, I think it's a USFSA thing--even international things are determined by them since she can't podium if she isn't even entered. I wish she had more assignments, though. Maybe she'll get Gracie's COC spot?

Angela is not eligible for Gracie's spot because she doesn't rank high enough to be on the substitutes list. IIRC, she's had some injury issues that caused her to have to miss assignments that would have given her a chance to get on that list.

mrrice

Record Breaker
Angela is not eligible for Gracie's spot because she doesn't rank high enough to be on the substitutes list. IIRC, she's had some injury issues that caused her to have to miss assignments that would have given her a chance to get on that list.

Correct...She withdrew from Nebelhorn and Skate America last season. She managed to finish 7th at Nationals which is surprisingly the highest finish of her career as a Senior. It seems like she been around forever but she's just 21 years old. I have a feeling that several top skaters will be leaving the sport at the end of this season and if Angela sticks around, she may end up like Ashley Wagner and have a career that peaks in her 20's.

arewhyaen

On the Ice
Anyone here feel that Caroline Zhang is a dark horse for an olympic spot? She came out of no where last year and took an impressive 5th. She was never the fastest and never the strongest jumper, but she had a fire in her belly last year.

mrrice

Record Breaker
Anyone here feel that Caroline Zhang is a dark horse for an olympic spot? She came out of no where last year and took an impressive 5th. She was never the fastest and never the strongest jumper, but she had a fire in her belly last year.

I don't know what to make of Caroline. I've only seen her live once and that was in 2011 and she didn't have a good event. She was much better in 2012 and even though it seems like she's been around forever, she's only 24. Who knows what will happen with the US Ladies.....They're off to a shaky start....Except Mirai...;)

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
She is also the reigning national champ and recieved a bronze at US classic, Senior B's are listed as part of your body of work. Japan Open on the other hand is actually not, so her sixth place finish there does not even factor in to the selection process. So far she is being looked at as the reiging National champ, fourth place at worlds, U.S. Classic bronze medalist, GP results TBD, Nationals results TBD.

It isn't only the placement that counts, though. Karen's score at the US Classic would have landed her in 11th place at last year's Worlds. Even factoring in scoring variations, she'd be nowhere near a World or Olympic podium with those skates. If you're talking about giving a skater a bye without a good 2018 Nationals performance, she ought to have several strong outings. She may have them in the GP series, but I wouldn't say the US Classic either helped or hurt her campaign.

Sasha'sSpins

Medalist
Country
United-States
Obviously a skater coming up from the junior ranks will not have the body of work (or comparable body of work) that a Wagner, etc. has. Hardly seems fair that might automatically eliminate them from the possibility of being on the team.

It didn't hurt Polina Edmunds none. Her body of work in the junior ranks apparently put her on the 2014 Olympic team. Along with 2nd place at Nationals.

Sorry, no I don't. I just don't feel the love for her from USFS. I just don't believe they'll let it happen. I think, at best, she can hope for an alternate spot. I've never felt the love from them for Mirai either but this season Nagasu is really making a case for herself. :pray::pray::pray:

kwanatic

Check out my YT channel, Bare Ice!
Record Breaker
I guess I'm one of the few who didn't think Karen's "Carmen" program was all that bad. I thought some of the choreography could have been tweaked a bit and maybe a better edit of music for the end, but overall I thought it was a solid program for her. Carmen has been done a zillion times but at least using well-known music pulls in the judges b/c they are familiar with it. I also thought she did a decent job of bringing fire and tension to her performance. Her main issue was her inability to skate the program all the way through without marring it with mistakes. Ah well...

I think her new music is pretty...but a bit generic in terms of being a nice sweeping piece. There are a few nice spots to put a jump or a spiral...but there's not a lot of personality or excitement to it which is what I think Karen really needs to stand out this season. As long as the choreography is lovely it should serve her well but I feel like she had a better chance to leave a bigger impression with Carmen. Then again we'll have to see what kind of program she puts together with this piece.

Still, really bold move to switch to a new program just a week or two before an event. That was either a brilliant move or the beginning of a disaster. I guess we'll see soon. I'm hoping she does well. Karen is so freakin' talented...she's got the goods but, like so many of our U.S. skaters, she isn't always able to put it together on the big stage.

b-man

Final Flight
Lily Sun has been added to the International Selection Pool. Congrats to Lily. :clap:

Who is she? Quick research shows 11th in Novice ladies in KC. That gets you in International Selection Pool? I must be missing something.

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics

Yes, for a long time now.:yes: But she's just getting some of the appreciation she deserves (especially around here lately). :slink:

loopy1217

Rinkside
I guess I'm one of the few who didn't think Karen's "Carmen" program was all that bad. I thought some of the choreography could have been tweaked a bit and maybe a better edit of music

I Don’t think it’s a bad program per se, but like she mentioned in the article that she felt she didn’t do the music justice, which is true. Based on her 3 performances so far, I don’t feel she has that spark like she did in her last season FS or this year SP. The article also seems to suggest that like when they give her Carmen, it is because it’s classic, and she didn’t say no...(IIRC, same sorta tone when she first announce Carmen on her site)

I am surprise the differences between sp and FS when they both choreograph by Mark Pillay...it almost like two different choreographer work.

The article also hint that Mark was busy to make this big change and if Karen doesn’t like the music, it’ll be equally bad for her to change the edit or change the choreograph I guess?

Still, really bold move to switch to a new program just a week or two before an event. That was either a brilliant move or the beginning of a disaster.

It is bold move especially so close to a competition. I would have feel better if she change it at champs camp (so they can provide her feedback) or even after US Classic. I just praying for the best for her

On a relative note: I wonder how she found this music. It is not made in home video and the movie is made way before she was born...????

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Lily Sun has been added to the International Selection Pool. Congrats to Lily. :clap:

Who is she? Quick research shows 11th in Novice ladies in KC. That gets you in International Selection Pool? I must be missing something.

Congratulations to Lily, and thanks to humbaba for the news.

I imagine that USFS took into consideration that a month ago, Lily placed third in Junior Ladies at U.S. Challenge Skate in SLC.
Her score there was 150.53 (compared to 102.37 at Nats in Kansas City).

[In SLC, Lily placed higher than (for example) JGP-ers Hanna Harrell and Angelina Huang, who had been many places and many points above her in KC.]

noskates

Record Breaker
I'm sooo glad Karen has moved on from Carmen. When I heard she was skating to that at the beginning of the season I predicted she'd skate in a red flounced dress with a flower in her hair and dark red lipstick. Check! :agree: Hackneyed, overdone, lazy on the part of the coach and choreographer. Do something different. Make it interesting. Match the music to the skater instead of saddling her with something that's been done to death! Karen has a wonderful talent but has usually been held down by ridiculous music choices - remember when she skated to The Godfather when she was only 13 or 14? I thought it was totally inappropriate for a young sprite of a girl to skate to music that heavy and dark. Tammy Gambrill (spelling?) takes the easy way out - Vincent skating to Casablanca in a Kurt Browning look alike costume. How about a little originality.