2013 Worlds Ladies FS | Page 78 | Golden Skate

2013 Worlds Ladies FS

FlattFan

Match Penalty
I think the current rule is fine. Yuna earned 3 spots for South Korea, South Korea should send 3 skaters.
I wish they would add an Olympic trial for top 50 ranked skaters who don't qualify through National slots. Someone like Oda and Kouzuka should be able to go to that event and prove that they are capable to place at the Olympics. If Akiko couldn't make it out of Nationals, she should go there and prove herself.

Have more people skate in the SP, and have the same # of skaters who can move on to the LP.

It's a compromise. Everyone get to skate. No one is missing out.

ks777

Record Breaker
I think the current rule is fine. Yuna earned 3 spots for South Korea, South Korea should send 3 skaters.
I wish they would add an Olympic trial for top 50 ranked skaters who don't qualify through National slots. Someone like Oda and Kouzuka should be able to go to that event and prove that they are capable to place at the Olympics. If Akiko couldn't make it out of Nationals, she should go there and prove herself.

Have more people skate in the SP, and have the same # of skaters who can move on to the LP.

Yeah I like your idea.

FlattFan

Match Penalty
I find it very interesting that if Yuna Kim skated in the men's event, with the same technical score but increasing her PCS to match the men's factor of 2.00, then she would have gotten 74.73 TES + 92.00 PES = 166.73.

That's less than 3 points from Patrick's FS skate of 169.41! Isn't that crazy?!

That's impossible. She did 6 clean triples. No men has ever done only 6 triples and come close to 160.
Her GOE would tank if she competes in the men event.
Her PCS would also tank. Let's get real, her SS is not the same level at the top 6 men. Not even close.

sask8

Rinkside
I find it very interesting that if Yuna Kim skated in the men's event, with the same technical score but increasing her PCS to match the men's factor of 2.00, then she would have gotten 74.73 TES + 92.00 PES = 166.73.

That's less than 3 points from Patrick's FS skate of 169.41! Isn't that crazy?!

That is crazy, especially considering so many are disgusted with the men's outcome believing that Chan should have scored less...say 3-5 points less. This is a good time to state that I believe Kim is perhaps the best singles skater in the world (woman or man) today. I know she is not everyone's cup of tea but she is a once in a lifetime talent, as consistent as Kwan, and imho has artistic qualities to rival anyone today.

koatcue

Medalist
Country
Russia

yup. it would be great:) I wish ahah))

CatYuna

Spectator
I understand that but the Olympics only comes every 4yrs. Some really good skaters won't make it just because they happened to be from the US, Russia or Japan. I just want to see the world's best at the Olympics.

Let's take your logic ad extend it a bit further. Why limit to 3 for one country. How about 5, 10 or limitless if you want the best? That way we could just have 20 countries participating in the Winter Olympic and maybe 30 countries for the Summer Olympic? This will ensue we will have the best.

All U.S. athletes competing for the swimming and track and field (I am exaggerating a bit of course), and all Chinese in diving, table tennis, badminton, etc,

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
Let's take your logic ad extend it a bit further. Why limit to 3 for one country. How about 5, 10 or limitless if you want the best? That way we could just have 20 countries participating in the Winter Olympic and maybe 30 countries for the Summer Olympic? This will ensue we will have the best.

All U.S. athletes competing for the swimming and track and field (I am exaggerating a bit of course), and all Chinese in diving, table tennis, badminton, etc,

Hey I would be totally fine with that. The diving events would probably have about 15 Chinese out of 30 competitors but I would rather see that as it would lead to better competition overall.

koatcue

Medalist
Country
Russia
Hey I would be totally fine with that. The diving events would probably have about 15 Chinese out of 30 competitors but I would rather see that as it would lead to better competition overall.

but at the same time I, for one, won't watch such competition:) It won't be interesting to see how 1 Russian/american/chinese...outscores the other:laugh:

Mao88

Record Breaker
LADIES FREE SKATE - VIDEOS & RESULT (Updated)

1. Yuna KIM (KOR) - 218.31 Free Skate, 2nd Copy, Medal Ceremony, Interview
2. Carolina KOSTNER (ITA) - 197.89 Free Skate
3. Mao ASADA (JPN) - 196.47 Free Skate, 2nd Copy
4. Kanako MURAKAMI (JPN) - 189.73 Free Skate
5. Ashley WAGNER (USA) - 187.34 Free Skate
6. Gracie GOLD (USA) - 184.25 Free Skate
7. Zijun LI (CHN) - 183.85 Free Skate
8. Kaetlyn OSMOND (CAN) - 176.82 Free Skate
9. Adelina SOTNIKOVA (RUS) - 175.98 Free Skate
10. Elizaveta TUKTAMYSHEVA (RUS) - 174.24
11. Mae Berenice MEITE (FRA) - 165.03 Free Skate
12. Akiko SUZUKI (JPN) - 164.59 Free Skate
13. Alena LEONOVA (RUS) - 159.06
14. Viktoria HELGESSON (SWE) - 158.80
15. Natalia POPOVA (UKR) - 155.52
16. Elena GLEBOVA (EST) - 152.49
17. Monika SIMANCIKOVA (SVK) - 149.02
18. Valentina MARCHEI (ITA) - 147.23
19. Nathalie WEINZIERL (GER) - 142.48
20. Jenna MCCORKELL (GBR) - 142.27
21. Brooklee HAN (AUS) - 141.88
22. Sonia LAFUENTE (ESP) - 139.66
23. Kexin ZHANG (CHN) - 137.41
24. Kerstin FRANK (AUT) - 127.98

CatYuna

Spectator

Then what is the point in participating in the Olympic? Just have the national and called it the world championship. Now, don't make an argument that NBA, MLB, & NFL is like that. They are professional although Soccer is an exception.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Actually it is crazy. No doubt her performance with the same scoring should have beaten Chan's LP, not been 3 points back.

interesting maybe but not relevant - do they have the same spin requirements and isn't there a grade of execution thing for a spiral or something and different judges - yeah not really a great analogy. Creative perhaps but not a fair comparison.

Enero

On the Ice
Absolutely not.

Elaine Zayak - The reason why the Zayak rule came into being. Her 1982 program included 2Lz/3T, 3T/2Lp, a number of other 3T, and one or two 3S

Midori Ito. 88 Olympics - lutz, flip, 2 salchows, 3T/3T, and loop. 89 Worlds - 1st 3A by a lady, lutz, flip, loop, salchow, and 3T/3T

Yep. And furthermore didn't Kwan do a few 7- triple programs during her peak when competing at Worlds? Tara too. I think she landed 7 triples at 97' worlds, and the 98' Olympics - 3FL, 3LZ, 3LO/3LO, 3LZ, 3T, 3S.

I'm so proud of Yuna! I was one of those who wanted her to return but doubted that she could come back in top form after such a long hiatus. Boy am I happy to be wrong. What a phenomenal athlete. I'd argue she is the best ladies champion to grace the sport. For years I've been waiting for a ladies champion that was truly the total package, nerves of steel, lightning speed across the ice, consistency, charisma and the difficult 3/3s. Yuna is that champion. Congrats to her tonight. I hope that she can keep this momentum going into next season and on to Sochi.

Krislite

Medalist
Carolina has really made me respect her more after her performance tonight. She did not collapse despite the pressure of defending her title, despite that nose bleed, and she was so gutsy to go for both the 3Lutz and 3Flip+3Toe. I can't really criticize her now for not going for the big guns.

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
Then what is the point in participating in the Olympic? Just have the national and called it the world championship. Now, don't make an argument that NBA, MLB, & NFL is like that. They are professional although Soccer is an exception.

I estimated 15 out of 30 so half of the field would still be competitors from other nations. That is hardly a National Championships. There will still be instance the best of the non Chinese beat out all the Chinese for gold (as happens a couple times at each Olympic diving event). If the others want less Chinese divers there they just need to improve their divers so 15 of the 30 best arent from China.

CatYuna

Spectator
I estimated 15 out of 30 so half of the field would still be competitors from other nations. That is hardly a National Championships. There will still be instance the best of the non Chinese beat out all the Chinese for gold (as happens a couple times at each Olympic diving event). If the others want less Chinese divers there they just need to improve their divers so 15 of the 30 best arent from China.

Don't want to drag this topic. Apprently, you are either not getting the point or don't want to. It was my mistake to put some senses into this issue. You can have the last words.