2013 Worlds Ladies SP | Page 49 | Golden Skate

2013 Worlds Ladies SP

ForeverFish

Medalist
Prepare for the Carolina haters...

I don't consider myself a "hater" of any skater, but the general (and correct) sentiment is that she was ridiculously overscored. She should not be within 3 points of the lead for sitting down the back end of her combination.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Gold + Wagner now is a total of 9 + 5 = 14. They are close to getting those three spots if Gold can move up and Wagner maintain her 5th place.

The Russian girls completely BOMBED. Not a single one of them did all their elements cleanly, and Tuk was SO gifted, missing two elements completely, she should be like, 20th place. Her PCS aren't good enough to make up for crappy elements, and should drop even further, as she could not complete spins or jumps with the pressure on her. Leonova's TES are the same as the girl who placed 25th, so she was also gifted her 13th place.

The Russian men also BOMBED, and the Pairs were underwhelming, although V/T got their placement. The RSF is gonna be PISSED at someone!

As I said, the Team Meshnov voodoo doll is working a little too well....V/T is immune because Trankov protested Kovtum going over Meshnov to Euros.

creme cup

Rinkside
I'm so angry about ridiculous scores but thinking back....It always have been that way ever since I started watching figure skating.
They always leave me with some questions. Always.

icefan1005

Rinkside
Oh, how I wish Mao had just not done the 3-axel. Attempting it even though she was having adjustment difficulties made her really nervous and affected the rest of her execution. If she'd done a 2-axel, she would have done everything perfectly and have ended up with 66 at least. Damn.

The "what ifs" make me sad for Mao. :bang: I hope she has a perfect FS.

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
I'm ok with Carolina's score because falls aren't as bad as they used to be. However, I would not have put her ahead of Yuna on every PCS category with that fall.

The thing is, how do you explain to people who aren't major fans that, no, a fall isn't nearly as bad as an under-rotation? And that that uhm makes "sense"?

SamuraiKike

Medalist
If Olympics spots were decided tonight these would have been the 24 qualifiers:

KOR = 3
ITA = 2
JPN = 3
CAN = 2
USA = 2
RUS = 2
SWE = 2
FRA = 1
CHN = 2
EST = 1
ESP = 1
UKR = 1
GBR = 1
SVK = 1

pitterpatter

On the Ice
In summary:

Yuna Kim in lead as expected
3 spots for Russia not looking good
3 spots for USA on the bubble
2 spots for Canada looking good
Judging quite fair in this segment sans Carolina's score
Scores are quite tight! FS will be interesting

bigsisjiejie

Record Breaker
Never mind PCS. Does anybody seriously believe that Carolina had the 4th best TES in the SP competition? With a sit-down on a combo and tech content that isn't exactly pushing the envelope?!

ranjake

Final Flight
Behind Osmond? Are you kidding? :mad:

Gotta agree (sorry canadians :) I think Ashley was technically cautious; but her skate was beautiful to me, PCS undermarked. Carolina was slightly overmarked, imo- she seemed a little disjointed; the facial expressons were jarring and didn't flow for me. Overall- a great World's SP- everyone was FIGHTING for it. The long should be great :)

Colanboy

Rinkside
Mao got her triple axel ratified (with + GOE)

I haven't watched the video yet, but if Carolina fell on her triple triple, why didn't she get straight -3s?

Mirunna

Record Breaker
Mao got credit for her 3A but Ured the 3F and of course the single loop. It looks like the 3A drained the energy from her. But it kind of saved her TES

Robeye

Final Flight
OK, having gotten to the end of the SP, this is my unfiltered reaction:

On a relative basis, the one real travesty was Carolina's score. That was fairly outrageous. It was clear from her somewhat abashed expression that even Caro knew that she was gifted.

This is what I expect to see in the LP: now that Yuna has reestablished who's who and what's what in the pecking order, and is comfortably leading the final FS group (and this despite having perhaps suffered a "penalty" for having skated in a position usually reserved for the thirtieth-best skater in the world), to the extent that there are any breaks to be gotten in the LP, she should be getting them. I suspect that the judges will sense (both from the crowd reaction as well as commentator reactions) that their judging was not popular.

I very rarely call out the judges, and try to give them the benefit of the doubt, but this was not good. :mad:

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
They should hold off. Even with the fall she was sublime. A class above everybody. That woman's confidence is Plushenko worthy; judges respond to that:biggrin:

LOL Yeah right just like when she had two of the worst performances in recent history at Worlds 2009 and the Olympics. I don't ever remember Plushenko melting down like that.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Never mind PCS. Does anybody seriously believe that Carolina had the 4th best TES in the SP competition? With a sit-down on a combo and tech content that isn't exactly pushing the envelope?!

Looks like her GOE on her other elements made up for the -1.70 on her combo. Though I'm unsure why she didn't get straight -3s. Isn't that the policy with a fall?