2014 Olympics Ladies Free Skate | Page 7 | Golden Skate

2014 Olympics Ladies Free Skate

Globetrotter

Medalist
Sotnikova's jumps are not graceful at all, and less difficult. She is a high jumping freak show with no artistry.

I think the artistry and beauty is being evaluated in the PCS under interpretation and presentation. Sotnikova has big jumps, good height and difficult entrances and good flow out speed although I agree that they are not beautiful as she does not have the beautiful lines of Kostner or Kim. Please do not conflate the GOE / TES scores with the PCS. That said, I do agree that Sotnikova's PCS was way over marked. I think she deserves the high GOEs and TES but the inflated PCS left me out cold.

Globetrotter

Medalist
I agree pretty much with what you say, but you have to admit that Frank is already working miracles with her, both in keeping her focused (those miracle jump saves) and in softening her style. ...

But why should every US skater be remade into the soft, lyrical and artistic mould aka Micheele Kwan like? Maybe it is just not to be. I always felt that under the old 6.0 system, female skaters never quite advanced technically. Those powerful, energetic skaters like Midori Ito, Irina Slutskaya, Tonya Harding etc were never rewarded sufficiently compared to the softer more artistic Kwan types who skated technically simpler programmes that win by wowing and not by the technical skills. Thankfully, Lipinski and Hughes blew them away with those big triple triples and after switching to CoP, finally we see progress. I don't think Kwan will ever make it under the CoP system with the emphasis on big jumps and skating skills. Slutskaya was probably the biggest victim, being "forced" into such difficult jumps to compensate for her lack of feminine artistry and there was even a period in 2000-2002 where she was forced to skate on the softer, balletic style which Buttons and Peggy Flemming so love.

Perhaps instead of moulding Gold to be a Kwan like skater, should just let her develop naturally into her energetic joyful skating which I much prefer over her hollywood like presentations. Then again, I guess preferences are subjective.

treeloving

Medalist
I think the artistry and beauty is being evaluated in the PCS under interpretation and presentation. Sotnikova has big jumps, good height and difficult entrances and good flow out speed although I agree that they are not beautiful as she does not have the beautiful lines of Kostner or Kim. Please do not conflate the GOE / TES scores with the PCS. That said, I do agree that Sotnikova's PCS was way over marked. I think she deserves the high GOEs and TES but the inflated PCS left me out cold.

I think that poster means the form of jump, it not looks as neat as Carolina or Yuna.

sk8in

Match Penalty
Again, Kostner and Kim both have better ice coverage, air position and so forth than Sotnikova. Their GOEs should be higher as well as PCS, because they have better athletic technique. Again, it is figure skating, not pole vaulting. If Sotnikova were going to attempt a quad or something, her height would be commendable, but she probably couldn't because her technique is so messy.

CarneAsada

Medalist
A perfect Mao has the content to score 150 in the LP, the 200+ range puts her in medal contention. Praying to the skating gods tonight :bow: :points:
It sounds like Mao did not have a good practice. I don't blame her, considering how she came here expecting to fight for a medal and left the SP completely shattered.

Zamboni

On the Ice
Could not agree less. Watching Lipinski's long program, the writing was on the wall for the mature, graceful, sophisticated, subtle, esthetically pleasing Kwan to win over her polar opposite; instead, the midget who looked like a little girl in her mother's makeup, who did roller axels and jumps barely off the ice, whose music was laughable and choreography worse, won because she did triple loop-triple loop with no air, no grace, and no amplitude.

:clap::clap::clap:

Ven

Match Penalty
The writing is on the wall that the judging fix is in for Sotnikova now.

1. Caro's score will be held down because Sotnikova comes after her.

2. If both Sotnikova and Yuna go clean, the corrupt judges will give it to the Russian with 7 triples vs. Yuna's 6.
They've already shown they have no problem giving her nearly the same score despite weaker jump content in SP.

If this plays out there will be an even bigger backlash than 2002. You may see Cinquanta and everyone with IJS gone next year. Who knows what will happen to figure skating.

sk8in

Match Penalty
It sounds like Mao did not have a good practice. I don't blame her, considering how she came here expecting to fight for a medal and left the SP completely shattered.
Mao has let her pride cloud her judgment for years now. Being cast as Yuna Kim's 'rival' got in her head, and instead of perfecting her jumps she kept chasing outlandishly hard programs. She reminds me of Sasha Cohen in this respect. If nothing else Mao had maybe the most gorgeous figure skating costume I've ever seen. The detail on the back was amazing. She looked like a flower on ice.

CarneAsada

Medalist
The writing is on the wall that the judging fix is in for Sotnikova now.

1. Caro's score will be held down because Sotnikova comes after her.

2. If both Sotnikova and Yuna go clean, the corrupt judges will give it to the Russian with 7 triples vs. Yuna's 6.

If this plays out there will be an even bigger backlash than 2002. You may see Cinquanta and everyone with IJS gone next year. Who knows what will happen to figure skating.
It is hilarious that Sotnikova's SP managed to score above Mao Asada's Vancouver 2010 SP which included a clean 3A-2T despite this quad's SP having one less element. But aren't we being a little hasty here? Sotnikova is still Sotnikova. Yuna Kim is still Yuna Kim. And the former will not be doing 7 triples unless she lands her 3Lz-3Lo which of course will be fully rotated with a clean Lutz edge if she stands it up, but which is also a very difficult combination that she missed in 2 of her last 3 attempts.

Ven

Match Penalty
In the real world, Adelina would be 3rd several points behind Kim and Kostner, and she would get called for an "e" and possibly downgraded in the FS, assuming she doesn't fall.

In Russia, her jumps will probably not even be reviewed, she will automatically be given all level 4s barring egregious errors, and her components scores will be all 8s and 9s and within a point or less total of Yuna and Carolina.

Zamboni

On the Ice
But why should every US skater be remade into the soft, lyrical and artistic mould aka Micheele Kwan like? Maybe it is just not to be. I always felt that under the old 6.0 system, female skaters never quite advanced technically. Those powerful, energetic skaters like Midori Ito, Irina Slutskaya, Tonya Harding etc were never rewarded sufficiently compared to the softer more artistic Kwan types who skated technically simpler programmes that win by wowing and not by the technical skills. Thankfully, Lipinski and Hughes blew them away with those big triple triples and after switching to CoP, finally we see progress. I don't think Kwan will ever make it under the CoP system with the emphasis on big jumps and skating skills. Slutskaya was probably the biggest victim, being "forced" into such difficult jumps to compensate for her lack of feminine artistry and there was even a period in 2000-2002 where she was forced to skate on the softer, balletic style which Buttons and Peggy Flemming so love.

Perhaps instead of moulding Gold to be a Kwan like skater, should just let her develop naturally into her energetic joyful skating which I much prefer over her hollywood like presentations. Then again, I guess preferences are subjective.

What made Michelle Kwan great was her inherent musicality. Many times while watching her, I felt like a was receiving a rare gift. She had magnificent, beautifully choreographed programs for the most part.

I liked Midori Ito, but she was one-dimensional. And she was rewarded, she was a world champion. She made mistakes at the Olympics, though.

Irina was one of the most overrated skaters in the history of figure skating. Tearing your hair out and giving constipated facial expressions is not artistic. When I knew that Michelle couldn't win in SLC because of the fall, or Sasha either, I was so worried that Irina would win. I even preferred Sarah Hughes over her. At least she tried to be artistic. I wasn't even that impressed with Irina's jumps. And when Irina tried to be herself in 2006 -- in other words, threw artistry out the window, she finished third, one spot down from 2002.

And don't even get me started on Tara's juniorish roller skating jumps, Yuck! She had a lot of energy, though, and she looked like she was having fun. I don't know how far she would go now. What kind of spins did she have? I barely remember them.

I'm not crazy about the current COP because I don't like that someone can be so far ahead in the short program that no one else can catch up. Look at the incredibly sloppy long programs that won gold and silver in the men's competition. Something is wrong somewhere.

I actually think that Gracie is a work in progress. She has good jumps, but she still doesn't relate to the music very much yet, and the choreography in her programs is a bit suspect. I don't think that Frank wants to turn her into Kwan II, because he's smart enough to know that isn't what she is. But she needs very much to work on those spins, etc. You can't just jump, there has to be something else. If not, we should just dump all spins and footwork and the music and have them just skate and jump for four minutes.

And by the way, Yuna beat Mao in Vancouver despite Mao doing three triple axels. And Yuna (at least at the time) was a far more complete skater than Mao. So it's not just about the jumps. And on Wednesday, those jumps defeated Mao again.

Ven

Match Penalty
Personally I would love to see Yuna and Caro fight it out with fair judging for gold and silver, and whoever wins, wins (hopefully Yuna).

Let the Russians and Gracie battle it out for Bronze.

roxella

On the Ice
I can see a big scandal coming if Adelina is overscored again tonight...let's see what happens! GO YUNA!!

MaiKatze

Record Breaker
I love Mao and feel crushed for her, I hated to see her in 16th place of all places, but she is basically tied with Kanako who popped 1 jump and had a beautiful combination. :( If I were Kanako I would be so angry that I would try to dominate the next quad in Japan. ;)

Also I feel that they were extremely harsh on Zijun Li. I hope that she doesn't let it hurt her and she can give her all in the Long...

zamboni step

Final Flight

But you have to remember that good practices clearly didn't help either. In fact those were incredible practices. Mao is known for being stubborn and hard headed when it coms to the 3A and jump content, I doubt she's going to lie down and finish outside the top without a big fight.

chairmanmao

Final Flight
I can see a big scandal coming if Adelina is overscored again tonight...let's see what happens! GO YUNA!!

I cannot believe how overly dramatic Yuna fans. They honestly believe figure skating revolves around their queen and her 3Lz-3T.