2014 U.S. International Figure Skating Classic | Page 16 | Golden Skate

2014 U.S. International Figure Skating Classic

Barb

Record Breaker
Oh, poor Mirai, I hope the next competition be better, great program and I love her skating. Very happy for Polina, I am waiting the videos, I agree she telegraph her jumps, but I love her skating, her elegance and delicacy are very rare, I mean, a lot of girls try it but she is so natural.

SkatingFun

Rinkside
I am not against Courtney and she can jump, which is good, except that, I don't see anything else from her in term of Skating and Presentation. But still, she received close to 6.50 points from GOE, those are much higher than what Polina and Mirai received on their executed elements.

Will see if Courtney can perform in front of TRUE international competitions and excel.

Tavi...

Record Breaker
According to Max's own comments after his SLC skates, at least two issues were involved in his mistakes:
Although he referred to the "mental game" as one of them, another factor was his focus on making his movements big, which has the risk of getting him off balance.​

I would add that based on what other skaters (and perhaps Max) have said at other times, it is possible that excesssive concentration on the task at hand does not help -- and in fact could hurt, leading to mistakes that a skater never makes when training at home. I've read/heard many skaters talk about the importance of trusting their training when competing and letting muscle memory take over.

Hi yes, another thing I noticed is that he is trying to do more of his jumps directly out of the choreography (rather than just crossovers), which is much tougher.

Re concentrating on the task at hand, you absolutely need to trust muscle memory. What I was trying to say is more that if you're distracted, you will not give your best performance - maybe you fall, maybe you get a little off the music, maybe you don't communicate so well, whatever. Like why you shouldn't text and drive - when you don't text, you aren't concentrating hard on turning the wheel or braking, but you are focused in a way you wouldn't be if you were also texting.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Links to Saturday's reaction videos (mostly from Team USA) are here:

Included are reaction videos from all Team USA ladies and dancers + Riona Kato + Orford/Williams, such as:

Mirai Nagasu's interview reacting to her FS (and discussing the Japan Open a bit):

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Friday's Senior highlights video (all disciplines and skaters from all countries):

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Congratulations to Aldridge & Eaton for the gold, to Orford & Williams for the silver, and Cannuscio & McManus for the bronze in dance.

It was ever so close between the top 2, and O&W's program was very appearling, but they had a lot of problems with the first lift, so it was given a level 1.

yyyskate

Record Breaker
watched Polina, such delicate long limbs, perfect for a fairy. she is also one of a kind. Hope she can add some character into this LP, like some poster suggested, it could be a special and unique piece for her.
EDIT: and pink is my favorite color for a lady, and I am not going to hide that ;p could not think another skater that can interpret this delicate, dainty, whimsical feature of a fairy, so natural for her. and she already has her signature move -- that gorgeous twizzle

Chemistry66

Mmmmm, tacos.
Record Breaker
For VIDEOS of Senior Ladies FS, see links in these tweets:

Nagasu and Chartrand

Kato and Edmunds
https://twitter.com/0316seisato/status/511023442011754496
(I think link to Hicks video accidentally did not come through via the tweet)​

Ladies Medal Ceremony

The link to the Hicks video is on the youtube account. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NcxvHz4oDYw

beebee51

On the Ice
Country
United-States
Congratulations to Aldridge & Eaton for the gold, to Orford & Williams for the silver, and Cannuscio & McManus for the bronze in dance.

It was ever so close between the top 2, and O&W's program was very appearling, but they had a lot of problems with the first lift, so it was given a level 1.

Did you mean O/Ws Straight Line lift, Doris? That was the third one where Williams was shaky and put his foot down. The first lift was a difficult curve lift where Orford was pretty much supporting all of her own body weight (looks like it was fashioned after Weaver and Poje's lift). The first lift got a Level 4, but the third only a Level 1. It's ironic, because lifts are their strong suit. At the end of the day A/E took the Gold, but IMHO O/W have a more mature and difficult Free Dance. I'm not convinced that this GWTW FD will be the vehicle that gets A/E on the podium at US Nationals. OTOH, with Titanic, O/W could be surprise medalists at Canadians. Though, it's a long season and I look forward to seeing how these FDs develop.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Last edited:

jenaj

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
For VIDEOS of Senior Ladies FS, see links in these tweets:

Nagasu and Chartrand

Kato and Edmunds
https://twitter.com/0316seisato/status/511023442011754496
(I think link to Hicks video accidentally did not come through via the tweet)​

Ladies Medal Ceremony

What the heck is Polina wearing? It makes her look like a pink poodle. Or maybe like a little girl dressed up like a ballerina. She seriously needs some styling help.

shine

Record Breaker
I like Polina's costume. I think it's beautifully crafted and fits the theme of the program - a whimsical fairy.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Polina may have been affected by the altitude. Mirai, not so much---she trains in Colorado.

hippomoomin

Record Breaker
Yes, Polina looks tired in her free, but the program is beautiful and she is very likely to pass Gracie in the near future.

essence_of_soy

On the Ice
What the heck is Polina wearing? It makes her look like a pink poodle. Or maybe like little girl dressed up like a ballerina. She seriously needs some styling help.

Agreed. She needs to go the Gracie Gold route with elegant outfits to highlight her long lines.

At the moment there's a real Dance Moms vibe to those awful, tacky outfits. It was Kiddie Pageant meets Pole Dancer.

humbaba

Final Flight
What the heck is Polina wearing? It makes her look like a pink poodle. Or maybe like little girl dressed up like a ballerina. She seriously needs some styling help.

Agreed. She needs to go the Gracie Gold route with elegant outfits to highlight her long lines.

I love Polina's skating and I'm a big fan of this LP. However, I do have to agree she needs to be packaged better. Her costumes are okay, but I agree she would look better in something with clean, elegant lines. What I most want is to see her with a better hairstyle. The one she has now is pulled back so tightly; it is just too severe. And the tight little braid and the weird parts....ugh. A softer hairstyle would look so much better on her. Also, she might look good with a short cut. She has a pixie face, why not pixie hair?

Polina may have been affected by the altitude. Mirai, not so much---she trains in Colorado.

I noticed quite a few of the skaters seemed very winded after their skates. I wondered at the time if it was the altitude of SLC or if the skaters just weren't in tip-top condition this early in the season.