2014 Worlds - Men Free Program | Page 45 | Golden Skate

2014 Worlds - Men Free Program

tmdsiddl

Rinkside
I hope Hanyu performs without any fall. It is true joy to watch him. So good to see his beautiful performance. very touching. Best of luck to other skaters too.

cdngirl

On the Ice
I feel that Machida was screwed out of a gold medal here.

Hanyu definitely delivered the base value and showed exceptional glide but he got very generous GOEs for some of his lower quality elements (some of the jump landings were poor), he's been allowed to get away with sloppy posture and lines and his choreography was very flat.

Not that Machida's program was a masterpiece either but at least it had some variety and contrast in it and some movements to the highlights.

No doubt it was very close but I think that Machida has overall done enough, especially considering how excellent his SP performance was.

I feel really sad about this because this was probably Machida's only realistic shot at gold and Hanyu has at least one more quad left in him, provided his body allows it and he doesn't lose motivation.

Totally agree with you. I admired Yuzuru's fighting spirit but I think Machida deserved the Gold. So disappointed for Machida as Yuzuru has so many years ahead of him.

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
He got more or less exactly the GOE he deserved with the exception of the 4toe where the judges didn't seem to deduct him for the under-rotation.

I guess you could say he was underscored on TES in relative terms given the inflated scores some of the other skaters got.

The 3toe after the lutz was very obviously cheated so I think that call was on point.

Crazy talk. What underrotation on the 4Toe? He was very much around and had a great landing. Several judges gave him a 0. The 3Flip could have had more +2's considering how perfectly smooth it was with difficult entrance and exit. Second 3Axel could have had more +1's because that difficult entry and great amplitude. His 3Lutz+3Toe was really just fine; good distance on that second jump. Show some screencaps of how "obviously" cheated it was because I see it within 1/4. It's a good thing they didn't call the Lutz too, sometimes tech panels ignore the lutz curve takeoff point and make bad calls there. Even if we are to say the < was deserved, the -GOE he got was uncalled for. He controlled the jumps well all the way through.

I think he did enough to finish in 4th overall. This would have been really important for the U.S. Men next year because Max Aaron should have been a place lower (9th). His LP was such a mess and deserved 65 at most for PCS. The French guy should have gone over him.

Weren't people saying Machida's got very generous PCS points in the short?

If they were, they were wrong. :p

Machida's use of his whole upper body, the fluidity of his movement and how well his program flowed across the ice surface were all fantastic.

I'd have had him in first with a slightly bigger advantage over the others, probably.

Crazy talk. What underrotation on the 4Toe? He was very much around and had a great landing.

The loss of flow on the landing was noticeable in real time. A slo-mo and close-up was shown after the performance and it looked a bit under 1/4 short.

The 3Flip could have had more +2's considering how perfectly smooth it was with difficult entrance and exit.

It could have. I agree that it was a +2 jump and it's a shame that only 3 judges thought so.

Second 3Axel could have had more +1's because that difficult entry and great amplitude.

But it lacked flow out. So 0s were also justified.

His 3Lutz+3Toe was really just fine; good distance on that second jump. Show some screencaps of how "obviously" cheated it was because I see it within 1/4. It's a good thing they didn't call the Lutz too, sometimes tech panels ignore the lutz curve takeoff point and make bad calls there. Even if we are to say the < was deserved, the -GOE he got was uncalled for. He controlled the jumps well all the way through.

The lutz set-up was slightly telegraphed (there was preceding footwork but then he broke the rhythm and spent a little while just telegraphing the jump), there wasn't much flow out of the lutz and there was a clear loss of flow and snow spraying on that toe landing as he hooked it.

I haven't watched it frame-by-frame so maybe you are right about the call being overzealous. I'd still have given it not higher than -1, regardless, because of the above issues.

jenaj

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
He was most definitely not underscored on PCS, he was actually a little overscored (the other guys were more overscored, though). 86 for that program is more than enough. Thankfully he finally stopped trying to do the 3Flip in combo and instead brought back the solo 3Flip with beautiful transition afterward, but there are still multiple other areas in which the program is inferior to the 2012 version. Also notice how he didn't end in time with the music in this performance.

He was actually underscored on TES. He didn't deserve the < call on his 3Lutz+3Toe and in general the GOE on his jumps was stingy.

That is your opinion, BOP. I think Jeremy is one of the best in performance and interpretation, but he only scored in the 8's. So, in my opinion, he was underscored in PCS. But you are right about the ending. I thought he might get a time deduction for that, but he didn't.

Caluza's PCS illustrated just how much the judges let the TES affect their PCS scores.

I thought his program and performance were absolutely remarkable. He seemed to have skated and moved in time with the music extremely well, his posture, lines and flow over the ice were decent and the program was absolutely packed with varied transitions.

I would have probably given him one of the highest PCS scores of the evening, at least for TR, CH and IN anyway.

Interspectator

Record Breaker
I must write this down before it fades from my mind. I was in the lower stands for the Men's free and here are some of the audience's & my reactions to the various skaters.
-Of the early skaters Christopher Caluza, Jin Seo Kim, Kevin Reynolds, Nam Nguyen, all got enthusiastic applause and some partial standing ovations. I was amazed that Nam was able to jump so well under pressure.
-we, the audience, tried to clap to the music when there was a beat, and if a skater fell, we gave them an extra cheer.
-Jeremy Abbott got a HUGE standing ovation from the entire crowd that lasted a long time. He really was so wonderful. I just wish he had done this sooner!
-Tomas Verner got a pre-ovation when he came out on the ice. People LOVED his short program and were rooting for him to do well in the free. Alas! We groaned when he missed his jumps. However, Verner got a LOT of consolation gifts. And he went over to some fans and hugged them. There was a lot of cheering for that!
-Tatsuki Machida Long Standing ovation. He deserved it. To be in the shadows of other skaters for so long and holding on and improving until no one can deny your talent. -That's really going around the hard way, but he proved that he has the will and the heart of a champion. -and he embraces his own kind of drama too. Brilliant.
-Han Yan's Triple axel was wonderful -and treacherous. We thought he had really hurt himself. There were gasps all around.
-Yuzuru Hanyu Frantic clapping and yelling, deathly silence, frantic clapping and yelling, silence...everytime he went for a jump we held our breath. At the end, of course, the long standing ovation and the shower of flowers. I was really relieved and glad that I was lucky enough to see the program where he landed both quads. When he got his scores he jumped up and down and then right away turned to cheer on Javi who was up next.
-Japan Loves Javi. They gave him as much cheering at his start-out as they gave Machida and Hanyu. And a standing ovation at the end. When his scores came out, there was some silence and uneasy murmuring. -That's about as close as you can come to booing in Japan. everyone saw his quads and thought that surely his score should have been higher.
-around me I saw many people had brought 2 or 3 flags so they could cheer on other countries.
-The medal ceremony was so cute. Every one was really happy with their medals. Japan gave a 'special' applause to Javi when his name was called. They clapped along to his music and gave him an extra cheer.
All in all, I think that this Men's free event was possibly the best one I have seen so far. Many SB's and PB's. -Maybe a thinning of the field was good for everyone. -They knew that if they brought their a-game, they had a chance to rise in the rankings so some of them really did!
I'm happy I went.

rosacotton

Final Flight
I must write this down before it fades from my mind. I was in the lower stands for the Men's free and here are some of the audience's & my reactions to the various skaters.
-Of the early skaters Christopher Caluza, Jin Seo Kim, Kevin Reynolds, Nam Nguyen, all got enthusiastic applause and some partial standing ovations. I was amazed that Nam was able to jump so well under pressure.
-we, the audience, tried to clap to the music when there was a beat, and if a skater fell, we gave them an extra cheer.
-Jeremy Abbott got a HUGE standing ovation from the entire crowd that lasted a long time. He really was so wonderful. I just wish he had done this sooner!
-Tomas Verner got a pre-ovation when he came out on the ice. People LOVED his short program and were rooting for him to do well in the free. Alas! We groaned when he missed his jumps. However, Verner got a LOT of consolation gifts. And he went over to some fans and hugged them. There was a lot of cheering for that!
-Tatsuki Machida Long Standing ovation. He deserved it. To be in the shadows of other skaters for so long and holding on and improving until no one can deny your talent. -That's really going around the hard way, but he proved that he has the will and the heart of a champion. -and he embraces his own kind of drama too. Brilliant.
-Han Yan's Triple axel was wonderful -and treacherous. We thought he had really hurt himself. There were gasps all around.
-Yuzuru Hanyu Frantic clapping and yelling, deathly silence, frantic clapping and yelling, silence...everytime he went for a jump we held our breath. At the end, of course, the long standing ovation and the shower of flowers. I was really relieved and glad that I was lucky enough to see the program where he landed both quads. When he got his scores he jumped up and down and then right away turned to cheer on Javi who was up next.
-Japan Loves Javi. They gave him as much cheering at his start-out as they gave Machida and Hanyu. And a standing ovation at the end. When his scores came out, there was some silence and uneasy murmuring. -That's about as close as you can come to booing in Japan. everyone saw his quads and thought that surely his score should have been higher.
-around me I saw many people had brought 2 or 3 flags so they could cheer on other countries.
-The medal ceremony was so cute. Every one was really happy with their medals. Japan gave a 'special' applause to Javi when his name was called. They clapped along to his music and gave him an extra cheer.
All in all, I think that this Men's free event was possibly the best one I have seen so far. Many SB's and PB's. -Maybe a thinning of the field was good for everyone. -They knew that if they brought their a-game, they had a chance to rise in the rankings so some of them really did!
I'm happy I went.

Thank you for the awesome report, Newbiespectator!:agree: So happy that the crowd was very supportive of the skaters!:yay:

Mista Ekko

Record Breaker
Thank you for the awesome report, Newbiespectator!:agree: So happy that the crowd was very supportive of the skaters!:yay:

I join the thanks ;)

I do agree about Javi, When i saw his Tech score down at 88 with 3 quads i was surprised,
But then i remembered he doubled one triple toe and singles a triple lutz, So he had only 5 triples,
And 3 landings on the negative GOE side, So i guess i was more at peace with it.

Also, Now that Javi is getting the PCS of a world champion, He can basically do a program with 2 quads and 6 triples,
Or 1 quad and 7-8 triples, And get about the same score he got here,
And possibly it will allow him to be less exhausted in the FS,
But i get the feeling is he's more comfortable doing 3 quads than going for two Lutzes or Flips

Maria Victoria

Record Breaker
Newbiespectator, I remember responding to a post of yours wherein you said that you will be going to Saitama but forgot to request you to share your experience. It was great of you to take the time and trouble to share your account of how it is to be part of one of the greatest skating audiences ever. Thank you.

As a fellow Filipino, I was gratified that that Christopher Caluza's artistry was appreciated by the Saitama audience.

Love your observation about Tatsuki: "he embraces his own kind of drama too." Yes there is no trace of self-consciousness in Tatsuki when he emotes out there on the ice.

Re Yuzuru, your description of the response of the audience to his performance (frantic clapping, silence and apprehension as he went into his jumps) exactly matches my own.

I hope you are able to attend more skating championships in the future and I look forward to reading your accounts of the same. More power!

chairmanmao

Final Flight
I join the thanks ;)

I do agree about Javi, When i saw his Tech score down at 88 with 3 quads i was surprised,
But then i remembered he doubled one triple toe and singles a triple lutz, So he had only 5 triples,
And 3 landings on the negative GOE side, So i guess i was more at peace with it.

Also, Now that Javi is getting the PCS of a world champion, He can basically do a program with 2 quads and 6 triples,
Or 1 quad and 7-8 triples, And get about the same score he got here,
And possibly it will allow him to be less exhausted in the FS,
But i get the feeling is he's more comfortable doing 3 quads than going for two Lutzes or Flips

He should stop doing 3 quads or he might end up like Goebbel. I think he should stop doing that 4S-3T and do 3A-3T instead. I can't remember a time he ever landed that combination cleanly.

pinky2114

Rinkside
Very happy to see Yuzuru finally land that 4S. I really wondered why he and Orser kept it in the program when he struggled so much with it in competition. Having seen it in practice, I knew he could perform it and do it well, but it seemed so elusive all year. I hope it sticks around next season.
Congratulations to all for a great event and special kudos to a wonderful and inspiring audience!

foruiz

Final Flight
4s ;-)

very happy to see yuzuru finally land that 3s. I really wondered why he and orser kept it in the program when he struggled so much with it in competition. Having seen it in practice, i knew he could perform it and do it well, but it seemed so elusive all year. I hope it sticks around next season.
Congratulations to all for a great event and special kudos to a wonderful and inspiring audience!

Interspectator

Record Breaker
Newbiespectator, I remember responding to a post of yours wherein you said that you will be going to Saitama but forgot to request you to share your experience. It was great of you to take the time and trouble to share your account of how it is to be part of one of the greatest skating audiences ever. Thank you.

As a fellow Filipino, I was gratified that that Christopher Caluza's artistry was appreciated by the Saitama audience.

Love your observation about Tatsuki: "he embraces his own kind of drama too." Yes there is no trace of self-consciousness in Tatsuki when he emotes out there on the ice.

Re Yuzuru, your description of the response of the audience to his performance (frantic clapping, silence and apprehension as he went into his jumps) exactly matches my own.

I hope you are able to attend more skating championships in the future and I look forward to reading your accounts of the same. More power!

Thanks! You are too kind. I don't know if I will go to any more live competitions in the near future...the expense! But this will be a memory I will treasure.