2015-16 State of U.S. Ladies skating | Page 2 | Golden Skate

2015-16 State of U.S. Ladies skating

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Ashley has rarely done summer competitions. Before she became US champion, she occasionally did a SP, but not in recent years. Last year, she did the Japan Open and it was embarrassing because she was nowhere near in competition shape. I hope that is not the case this time.

Daniel1998

Final Flight
Jumps: Gracie
Spins: Gracie
Skating Skills: Too close to call.
Choreo/Interpretation: Ashley
Consistency/Mental Toughness: Ashley by a hair.

Overall I give the edge to Gracie because she won the more crucial categories, but with American ladies, who knows? Maybe Polina rushes by both of them.

Layback11

Record Breaker
Jumps: Gracie
Spins: Gracie
Skating Skills: Too close to call.
Choreo/Interpretation: Ashley
Consistency/Mental Toughness: Ashley by a hair.

Overall I give the edge to Gracie because she won the more crucial categories, but with American ladies, who knows? Maybe Polina rushes by both of them.

Polina's certainly got the jumps (especially now that she's fixed her lip), and her spins aren't terrible (except the awful half-falling-over biellman). Even the artistry is improving. She's gotten much more polished, if what we saw at GF is any indication, but the FS there has left me wondering if she's becoming a headcase. My money would be on Karen Chen. She's got better spins than any other American, great jumps, and impressive polish for a 16-year-old. But she's also injury-prone and a tad inconsistent. So we really have no idea.

Great assessment! :thumbsup:

ManyCairns

Medalist
Country
United-States
From Gracie's Worlds long and exhibition to the summer comp, Gracie seems like she is building momentum to (finally) fully realize her potential. I do find her very enjoyable to watch, as well. So I hope it is Gracie all the way.

Ashley is a fighter and (as a total aside that is completely frivolous, but gotta say it) frankly gets more beautiful and glamorous in her packaging every year (again, vapid comment alert!), but really I think she has maxed out what she can achieve.

Polina -- I dunno. She impresses sometimes and can show sparks of some real talent, but she too is going to need to put it all together (tech and performance) consistently to make her mark.

Courtney could surprise if she can get a little oomph factor going. She's got the tech goods but even knowing that, I find her not inspiring to watch. If she could project a little sparkle she could be amazing.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
Lol, every season people say it's Gracie and then Ashley surprises everyone. I'm hoping Gold finally has a consistent year but Wagner seems to have a newfound fire. Polina may surprise as well.

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I really want to say Polina. I just like her attitude and love following her off ice fun as much as anyone. I definitely feel that she has everything she needs to win a US Chanpionship but I just don't think she'll come through this year like I hope. She has come a long way since her 2013-14 programs and I can't wait to see her this season continue to grow. I'm a bit afraid she is trying to be something instead of just being herself.

Gracie will likely be the same as before and that means she'll be inconsistent and unfocused at times but find a way to show us enough flashes of Graciefullness ;) to keep us expecting her to do big things. Really...she will probably be the US number 1 and hit big at the right time again. She's probably the US's best hope for returning to the World Championship podium.

Ashley...I really wanted to like her programs this year and I love her SP music so much. The problem for me is her sass is so hit or miss for me and I'm not digging the butt jiggling and shoulder shaking. I think I agree with RallyCairn in that Ashley has maxed out her potential but that doesn't mean she can't make a splash. She has the capability to compete for just about anything if others faulter but her tech issues will likely haunt her this year making the road a tough one. My personal preferences aside she did execute some nice skating and her jumps looked good so I'm not counting her out.

So of the typical three I predict the top three going into Worlds will be:

1) Gracie
2) Polina
3) Ashley

I think the U.S. Fed should use this year to gain some much needed exposure for the 4-6 girls because it's likely that one if them will be in the Olympics.

I guess that's a really long way of saying....Gracie will be the US number 1 :yay: :cheer: :cheer2:

I not so secretly want to put Mariah in the 3rd spot! :love:

Last edited:

Imagine

Medalist
Gracie will be the number one if she holds it together (and wow, what a big if that is). All she has to do is skate clean and she could easily podium at major competitions. My backup pick would be Polina. My sentimental pick is Mirai, because I want her to make an epic comeback. I think Ashley Wagner has maxed out her potential.

witcher

Match Penalty
I really want to say Polina. I just like her attitude and love following her off ice fun as much as anyone.
:unsure:

Not being a fan, she has had some peformances I watched with pleasure last season.
But her "why-am-I-not-world-champion-yet-skating-so-perfect" attitude irritates me as heck.

1. Gracie ("unprincessed":yes:)
2. Ashley
3. Polina

Last edited:

frida80

Record Breaker

Not being a fan, she has had some peformances I watched with pleasure last season.
But her "why-am-I-not-world-champion-yet-skating-so-perfect" attitude irritates me as heck.

Thanks. I thought I was the only one.

LiamForeman

William/Uilyam
Medalist
She's young, she'll grow out of it. Polina is my pick to be top skater in the US. She has moxie and tech.

solani

Record Breaker
Country
Austria

She's still young but the U.S. doesn't treat her as such, maybe because she is an Olympian. She has the goods and silently accepting U.S. no.3 status would be stupid.
And I believed her when she said that she was sure that her flip was perfect, she doesn't watch the slow-mo video while skating. And we saw that she can do it. It's good when an athlete has the ability to not question themselves while competing, this is what makes a champion. That's why I think that she will be better than Gracie next season.

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Interesting in this interview that the Skating Lesson did with Ashley,Adam and Doug Razzano Ashley says basically that this season has to be when she does something or she thinks it will be to late after that. I imagine she means getting on the World podium. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tu8xQe07TQ0

megenta

Rinkside
I predict that Gracie will be number 1 because I'm not sure Ashley can keep her jumps together. This is very much just an opinion as I can't even separate one jump from another..also I like Gracie's overall skating more than Ashley's, even though when they have good programs, both are very entertaining. Forgot to mention Polina because I have no recollection of her programs even though I must have seen some of them.

Last edited:

jenaj

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
It's going to be between Gracie and Ashley again, I think. I think Gracie has a better shot at the World podium, if she can keep it all together--a big if.

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I predict that Gracie will be number 1 because I'm not sure Ashley can keep her jumps together. This is very much just an opinion as I can't even separate one jump from another..also I like Gracie's overall skating more than Ashley's, even though when they have good programs, both are very entertaining. Forgot to mention Polina because I have no recollection of her programs even though I must have seen some of them.

I agree with everything you say. I'm not sure why but I prefer Gracie to Ashley too but both have more than enough high quality movements to be competitive. Polina is right there but I agree that her programs have been a bit forgettable. I think her SP will turn some heads this year though with it being to Moonlight Sonata. I do however strongly wish she would skate to Pas De Deux from the Nutcracker. I just think that would be a perfect fit and something no one would forget.

But I totally agree it will be Gracie for number 1 :cheer:

Layback11

Record Breaker
I agree with everything you say. I'm not sure why but I prefer Gracie to Ashley too but both have more than enough high quality movements to be competitive. Polina is right there but I agree that her programs have been a bit forgettable. I think her SP will turn some heads this year though with it being to Moonlight Sonata. I do however strongly wish she would skate to Pas De Deux from the Nutcracker. I just think that would be a perfect fit and something no one would forget.

But I totally agree it will be Gracie for number 1 :cheer:

MS is definitely, IMHO, Polina's best program yet, and might very well be what she's remembered for if she skates it well on a big stage. But I don't see her as U.S. #1 just yet.