2016-17 State of Russian Ladies skating | Page 92 | Golden Skate

2016-17 State of Russian Ladies skating

moriel

Record Breaker
I agree. It has been a bit disappointing how short careers have gotten for the very top competitors because they are unable to maintain form. I would love to have seen skaters like Julia remain competitive so that we could witness her artistic growth after Sochi. I feel similarly about Caroline Zhang, who I though had a lot of potential but was never able to improve in the areas she needed to.

I think what we need is a more developed pro scene. More shows, more pro competitions and so on.
Maybe some competitions focused more on artistry rather than jumps. I´m sure a lot of people would be interested and would go to such competitions ( i mean, how many people just on this forum would pay money to see Yulia skate?).

I wonder also if a more digital project... Basically, record some quality videos of skaters doing exibition/show types of programs, and then either sell it online or do a monetized channel on youtube. For example, Medvedeva's WTT exibition reached over 1mi views in 2 days - it kinda looks like there is some public that would watch such stuff over the internet and maybe pay for it. With a smart pricing it could be viable economically (and also probably less taxing on skaters, as its something they could be recorded at their own rink, rather than traveling and so on).

andromache

Record Breaker
I think what we need is a more developed pro scene. More shows, more pro competitions and so on.
Maybe some competitions focused more on artistry rather than jumps. I´m sure a lot of people would be interested and would go to such competitions ( i mean, how many people just on this forum would pay money to see Yulia skate?).

I wonder also if a more digital project... Basically, record some quality videos of skaters doing exibition/show types of programs, and then either sell it online or do a monetized channel on youtube. For example, Medvedeva's WTT exibition reached over 1mi views in 2 days - it kinda looks like there is some public that would watch such stuff over the internet and maybe pay for it. With a smart pricing it could be viable economically (and also probably less taxing on skaters, as its something they could be recorded at their own rink, rather than traveling and so on).

The thing is is that, in general, show skating is just not at the level it was in the 90s. The emphasis on impressive-looking tricks and spins is fun, but the focus on the complexity/quality of actual skating is pretty low sometimes. Which, for me, makes it hard to watch.

I think skaters can do fun/silly performances without compromising the actual skating or being too OTT. Let's do pro-comps with 6.0 style requirements and judging. Basic spins done well, cool footwork that goes with the music and doesn't fit COP, reduced emphasis on jumps.

(I think Evgenia's is not bad, aside from near the beginning when she is having a "tantrum," where it's a little much for me. But I really enjoy seeing her have fun and also be in a different type of hairstyle and costume than usual. Her Worlds EX has more quality of movement and skating in it - but her styling is more typical.)

I would say it was the same before, but a lot of people didn't care because there were americans on top.

How long Sasha Cohen, Tara Lipinski, Sarah Hughes, Kimmie Meissner lasted?

Uh, Sasha Cohen was around for a decent amount of time - long enough to be a medal contender at 2 Olympics and a number of WCs. I'm not sure how she's made your list.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
The thing is the sports is moving faster now than in Yuna / Mao / Miki / Caro era when there were only 4-5 skaters able to skate a clean SP and a clean LP consistently.

Yeah, the technical bar is much higher. I don't even think Miki and Caro would make the Russian team now, much less a world podium, with the programs they used to win their world titles.

tennisguy

Rinkside
A little bit OT, but I have often wondered how Swedes pronounce the name of Ulrich Salchow. Here are three versions. In the first I can barely hear the "L" sound. It is more like the silent L in walk and talk.

In the third version it definite ends in "chov" rather than "cow." (I think. :) )

https://www.howtopronounce.com/salchow/

As a kid, I always thought it was sowcow - that's how it sounded to be me.

Sweet Dream

Final Flight
I would say it was the same before, but a lot of people didn't care because there were americans on top.

How long Sasha Cohen, Tara Lipinski, Sarah Hughes, Kimmie Meissner lasted?

On top of that this is not even that true since this is gonna be the fifth season at seniors for Satoko Miyahara, Elena Radionova and Anna Pogorilaya, and they are still top contenders; Evgenia Medvedeva is winning everything for 3 seasons in a row.

The thing is the sports is moving faster now than in Yuna / Mao / Miki / Caro era when there were only 4-5 skaters able to skate a clean SP and a clean LP consistently.

What I am trying to say is that the coach should care more about these little girls' health instead of pushing them to practice the quads! They are too young to know any potential risks such hard training process may very well bring to their growing bodies. If I were their family member, I would never allow them to be coached by such people with an abnormal ego-inflation. Should I say that except the jumps, there are many other areas in skating they can improve?

Putting Satoko aside, I'd like to see whether Elena, Anna and Evgenia will still be on the competitive ice internationally after they turn 20 years old.

The ladies' skating should not be the competitions of only risky jumps among underage girls. I don't want to see it losing glamor little by little.

russianfan

Match Penalty
What I am trying to say is that the coach should care more about these little girls' health instead of pushing them to practice the quads! They are too young to know any potential risks such hard training process may very well bring to their growing bodies. If I were their family member, I would never allow them to be coached by such people with an abnormal ego-inflation. Should I say that except the jumps, there are many other areas in skating they can improve?

Putting Satoko aside, I'd like to see whether Elena, Anna and Evgenia will still be on the competitive ice internationally after they turn 20 years old.

The ladies' skating should not be the competitions of only risky jumps among underage girls. I don't want to see it losing glamor little by little.
this is a sport, and there is always a risk. If they wouldn't wanna risk they wouldn't start competing.
For some reason this reminded me that video

Kittosuni

Medalist

Are you OK?

Khoai

Match Penalty
Medvedeva and Zagitova are the main russian hope for Olympics, Sherbakova and Trusova (and possibly Panenkova) will lead in juniors.
So Tutberidze does not take into account Tzurskaya anymore. :sad21: And poor little angel Gubanova will not receive the World Junior again :sad21:
Not sure about that. We can never tell.

berry8

Final Flight
Do you think it is normal for a little girl to practice the quads? To be the strongest in the world? Yeah, go ahead!

Mao also used to have a 4S when she was junior and... she was one of the most long-lived lady ever in FS... so

atsumiri

Record Breaker
Do you think it is normal for a little girl to practice the quads? To be the strongest in the world? Yeah, go ahead!
it's their and theirs parent's desition. Not ours.
if you want to be The Best - you do what you have to do. otherwise, there's no reason to even starts it........

Mao also used to have a 4S when she was junior and... she was one of the most long-lived lady ever in FS... so
yes. if you don't start to learn these things as a child... it almost impossible to learn it as a adult.

ejnsofi

Final Flight

How comes that when Rika jumped 3A and 4T everybody was all over the place writing posts about how amazing it was but when Russian girls do something awesome it's suddenly wrong. Did you criticise Marin in Japanese ladies thread as well? Right now 14 years old junior boys jumping 1-2 quads is nothing surprising. Gogolev trained by Brian Orser is 12 and has 4S and I haven't seen a single post questioning his methods. As far as I know boy's bodies can be damaged too. Nathan Chen is 17 and his FS included 5 quads

Russian ladies' fields is deeper than any other field in the world. They now they have to be one step ahead of their opponents to have a chance to perform internationally

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Well the Russian field for ladies is deep but they are vulnerable as we saw at worlds with only one skater in the top 5 and not all three in the top ten. There is a lot of chatter about quads from the juniors but they are "so far" away from seniors especially in light of not surviving puberty. I am not even sure - has Evgenia survived puberty yet? We see the issues with Radinova - she has grown so so much over the last couple of years and like Julia Lip and Nam from Canada who really sprouted has struggled but just been stronger at fighting the puberty monster than the rest. It is exciting but kind of sad that a 2015 world champion is barely remembered and the 2014 olympic champion is seen as more of an icon from the past. And if you are 19 forget it our an old lady. Evgenia is almost in the geriatric stage of skating (LOL sarcasm).

Eloyse

On the Ice
No...Mao sucks at salchow. She didn't even have a proper 3s during the Vancouver Olympic quad.

atsumiri

Record Breaker
How comes that when Rika jumped 3A and 4T everybody was all over the place writing posts about how amazing it was but when Russian girls do something awesome it's suddenly wrong. Did you criticise Marin in Japanese ladies thread as well? Right now 14 years old junior boys jumping 1-2 quads is nothing surprising. Gogolev trained by Brian Orser is 12 and has 4S and I haven't seen a single post questioning his methods. As far as I know boy's bodies can be damaged too. Nathan Chen is 17 and his FS included 5 quads

Russian ladies' fields is deeper than any other field in the world. They now they have to be one step ahead of their opponents to have a chance to perform internationally
so true...:thumbsup::thumbsup:

This is a clear example of hypocrisy and double standards. :palmf: