2016 US Nationals TV and Livestream | Page 2 | Golden Skate

2016 US Nationals TV and Livestream

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Sorry for the silly question, but how do you log in to Skate Radio?

IIRC, logging in has not been necessary in the past.
At least I for one do not remember ever logging in for Skate Radio and other IN backstage coverage, although IN's fine print says that access is for "registered users."

But if you would rather be safe than sorry and register in advance:
Look for the "Register" and "LogIn" buttons in the top right corner of the IN home page.
Registration is free. Not the same thing as paying for a subscription.

blancanieves

On the Ice
IIRC, logging in has not been necessary in the past.
At least I for one do not remember ever logging in for Skate Radio and other IN backstage coverage, although IN's fine print says that access is for "registered users."

But if you would rather be safe than sorry and register in advance:
Look for the "Register" and "LogIn" buttons in the top right corner of the IN home page.
Registration is free. Not the same thing as paying for a subscription.

Thank you. I'm actually both, a registered member and have a subscription. I remember hearing commentary while watching the competition stream last year on IN, like Charlie White's during the Short Dance for example. But I don't remember an option to listen to any other technical analysis.

cheerknithanson

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
FYI for those not watching:

A new graphic feature for TES was introduced on the NBC preview show.

More detailed than the ISU TES box. :cool:

Aw man!!!! I was watching a livestream of some youtubers I'm subscribed to and watching the tracker of the Caps vs. Rangers game. So I hope this is posted onto YouTube.

StitchMonkey

Record Breaker
The new box is nothing too fancy. It is a gray box in the upper right corner (I think) that lists the elements the same way they appear on the detailed protocols.... yes this means the general public will see "StSq4" and such on their screen. The big elements were highlighted a different shade of gray. It took up vertically about 2/3 of the screen and about a quarter horizontally. So I suspect there will be those the complain about the size, but it is at least an effort in the right direction.

For those who missed the NBC preview show, it was Tara and Tanith with Terry Gannon (no Johnny). They heavily promoted the perceived favorites -- Max Aaron, Ashley and Gracie, Chock and Bates, and Scimeca and Knierim. Didn't have much to say about Shibutanis (though Tara thought their free dance was magical) or Hubbell and Donohue. They mentioned the other men, such as Rippon and Chen, only in passing.

Hyena

Tous les whiskys
Medalist
It seemed to me like the box will be smaller during the performances, just listing the leader and current TES (like what ISU does) with an extra line listing the most recent element and the score it received. Then there's a small tracker with a series of dots representing how many elements there are in the program. Once an element is completed, it changes color, letting you know how many elements remain. Anyway, this is a long way of saying that hopefully it won't take up too much space. It definitely seems like a step in the right direction. I do wonder how much it will really help the "casual viewer".

I do wonder how much it will really help the "casual viewer".

I agree. I think only people who are already familiar with the scoring system will get anything out of it. I hope it doesn't distract the eye from the performances.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
It seemed to me like the box will be smaller during the performances, just listing the leader and current TES (like what ISU does) with an extra line listing the most recent element and the score it received. Then there's a small tracker with a series of dots representing how many elements there are in the program. Once an element is completed, it changes color, letting you know how many elements remain. Anyway, this is a long way of saying that hopefully it won't take up too much space. It definitely seems like a step in the right direction. I do wonder how much it will really help the "casual viewer".

Plus something about a different coloring (red??) of the dots/elements for things the judges want to review.

ETA, correction:

Yellow is the color to indicate elements that the judges want to review.
Red is the color to indicate negative GOE.

Thx to sabinfire for the video of this part of the NBC preview show. Glad that I could go back and refresh my memory.​

Last edited:

StitchMonkey

Record Breaker
For those who missed the NBC preview show, it was Tara and Tanith with Terry Gannon (no Johnny). They heavily promoted the perceived favorites -- Max Aaron, Ashley and Gracie, Chock and Bates, and Scimeca and Knierim. Didn't have much to say about Shibutanis (though Tara thought their free dance was magical) or Hubbell and Donohue. They mentioned the other men, such as Rippon and Chen, only in passing.

This is sadly a pretty accurate description.

I don't think Ross or Grant were mentioned at all. Neither were Dornbush or Farris. Tanith tossed out Courtney as a "dark horse" for bronze and they did actually include a clip of her in the ending i noticed. I don't know if Karen was mentioned at all other than showing a pic of her with Michelle Kwan. Polina was talked about in passing. I don't think Maddie and Max or Marissa and Mevin were mentioned at all either.

It was like a game of "who we see as safest bets" - they gave some time to Tarah and Danny though - I guess they are seen as solidly number 2.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
This is sadly a pretty accurate description.

I don't think Ross or Grant were mentioned at all. Neither were Dornbush or Farris. Tanith tossed out Courtney as a "dark horse" for bronze and they did actually include a clip of her in the ending i noticed. I don't know if Karen was mentioned at all other than showing a pic of her with Michelle Kwan. Polina was talked about in passing. I don't think Maddie and Max or Marissa and Mevin were mentioned at all either.

It was like a game of "who we see as safest bets" - they gave some time to Tarah and Danny though - I guess they are seen as solidly number 2.

- Tanith included Karen Chen in the discussion of the ladies -- boot issues, inconsistency on the GP, etc.
(In addition to Karen's photo with MK being shown in the holiday social media segment.)​

- Marissa/Mervin were discussed for as long as Tarah/Danny were -- or even longer. (Although b-roll was shown only of Tarah/Danny, and not Marissa/Mervin.)
One of the things discussed was Marissa's "star quality" (maybe not the exact phrase -- "it"-factor type thing). (I don't dislike her, but news to me that the consensus is that she has an "it" factor.)

ETA, correcting myself (after watching again, thx to sabinfire's video):
~ NBC did show b-roll of Marissa/Mervin, as well as of Tarah/Danny.
~ "Wow factor" was the phrase used to describe Marissa.​

- But no mention of Maddie/Max. :(

- And no mention of the absence of Josh, last year's bronze medalist. (I like Dornbush too, but less surprising to me that he was not mentioned.)

ETA:
Duhhhh ... responding to my own dumb comment re Dornbush:
I forgot that the NBC preview show was taped some days ago -- well before Dornbush withdrew. So no surprise whatsoever that he was not mentioned.​

Last edited:

shiroKJ

Back to the forest you go.
Record Breaker
Here's the demonstration of the new 'graphics':

2016 U.S. Nationals - New TES Graphics
https://youtu.be/12x3wSMXhFQ

And the only real fluff piece used for the preview show:

Chock/Bates
https://youtu.be/xxoFd1Rs79c

Thank you for the links! I think this is an interesting move, to try to get the viewers more involved in the scoring process. As for myself, I think I like it...but I'll have to see how it works out during nationals :laugh:

slider11

Medalist
I applaud any effort to get fans back watching skating. I noticed that next Saturday NBC has 2 hours in the afternoon and 3 in the evening devoted to skating. That's a step in the right direction. I enjoy the ISU "box" in the upper left corner that tracks the points of a competitor during the competition. I hope NBC's doesn't become too complicated and distract from the performance. Interesting how Johnny was no where to be found in this preview show and although his audio was part of the clips with previous skates, I didn't hear alot about him nor mention we'll see Johnny next week. Maybe Tanith is filling this second spot on prime time in preparation for her work at the summer Olympics and maybe some were getting tired of Johnny's edginess. It's a fine line, sarcasm and negativity. Maybe NBC finds Tanith a better balance to Tara. I'm ok with Tanith but I would love to see Ryan Bradley get a crack with Tara. I heard him a bit on Universal and he's knowledgeable and funny.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
This is the homepage for NBC nationals coverage and they have info on their new graphics:
http://www.nbcsports.com/US-Figure-Skating-Championships

Thx for the NBC All-Access link :).

The USFS press release had mentioned that NBC was going to have such a page (but USFS did not give a link at the time ... don't think the All-Access page was live yet).
I was hoping that the NBC preview show would give the All-Access link, but I never saw/heard it. Maybe I just missed it.

ETA (thx to re-watching via sabinfire's video):
Oops :hopelessness:, I did miss it in the NBC coverage, which gave the equivalent link of nbcsports.com/usfigs.​

Anyway ... again, thx for the link.
Other good stuff on the page in addition to the stuff about the new scoring gfx.

ETA:
What I see on the NBC site actually is not about the new TV graphics re TES, but about something else cool :cool:: the NBC site itself will show online live scoring.

Last edited:

ice coverage

Record Breaker
... Interesting how Johnny was no where to be found in this preview show and although his audio was part of the clips with previous skates, I didn't hear alot about him nor mention we'll see Johnny next week. Maybe Tanith is filling this second spot on prime time in preparation for her work at the summer Olympics and maybe some were getting tired of Johnny's edginess. It's a fine line, sarcasm and negativity. Maybe NBC finds Tanith a better balance to Tara. ...

- The press releases from both USFS and NBC re Nats coverage stated clearly in advance that Gannon/Lipinski/T White were the team for the preview show.
So no surprise that Johnny was not on the preview show.

- The same press releases state clearly that Johnny will be on the team for next weekend's Nats coverage.

- BTW, Scott Hamilton will be involved in NBC's Nats coverage as well. Same role as he had last year.

The preview hour was taped quite a few days ago.
I think it might have been when Johnny was out of the country, either for the Medal Winners Open or something else.