2017 Skate Detroit | Page 6 | Golden Skate

2017 Skate Detroit

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
I think Zhou's fs music suited him really well (at least based on the short clip I saw, LOL)!

Ice Dance

Record Breaker
Vincent's performance is a headline. At the moment, he & Nathan are the only two men to do quad lutz & quad flip in both the short and the free. Though we'll wait to see Vincent's flip ratified internationally.

Vincent has a very good lutz. I don't know if he'll get his aspired 6 quad free skate, but I would not find it a stretch to see him do two quad lutzes in the free.

Thanks!!!! It's maddening to follow someone you know and see carrots, boomerangs, or whatever else the judges/tech panels can throw at the skaters just absolutely littered about their scoresheet. :hopelessness:

Edge calls have gotten worse...

mrrice

Record Breaker
^^^This is a huge worry of mine as well. She's been having a rough time lately but, Gracie Gold was and hopefully will return to be the best pure jumper the US has ever had. Maybe Tonya during 1991 but, other than that, a healthy inform Gracie Gold is a serious threat at any event. Mirai Nagasu was a refreshing surprise at Skate Detroit and she seems to be very hungry. She appears to be in the best shape of her life and if she can hold her form throughout the GP season, she might just make the final. Of course, it's still very early and we haven't seen several of the ladies yet so we'll have to be patient until we see more of the "Big Guns" in competition.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
yeah i got that :scratch2:... my question to syl20c is more along the lines of : do you want the ISU to consider flip and lutz as being the same jump, like they do in pairs for throw? or are you implying that skaters who aren't proficient with one of the two jumps get rid of it?

yeah i got that :scratch2:... my question to syl20c is more along the lines of : do you want the ISU to consider flip and lutz as being the same jump, like they do in pairs for throw? or are you implying that skaters who aren't proficient with one of the two jumps get rid of it?

Wasn't the ISU considering making it the same jump? That's where I was going.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique

thanks for the clarification.

If they were, wouldn't they be more lenient then on edge calls?

They reduced the BV of the flip, so I am guessing they want to encourage skaters working on the lutz with a proper outside edge.

Personally, and without being a skater nor an expert, I love great examples of each specimen and find them different enough to appreciate their respective beauty... but... i am just a fan ;)

I don't think so. What the ISU did say it was considering was defining the jump strictly by which edge you take off from, so that, for instance, any jump that took off from the outside edge would automatically be called a Lutz regardless of the entry or the skater's intention or other factors.

I think the proposal to combine the two jumps into one for scoring purposes was just suggested by fans on the Internet.