2018-19 Ladies' power ranking | Page 18 | Golden Skate

2018-19 Ladies' power ranking

Tulipstar

Medalist
I am looking forward to seeing Alina vs Rika at Worlds. Rika and Sofia are both skaters from that amazing JGPF from last year. A unique experience like that must have changed them a bit, and made them ready to compete with the greats. Not surprised that both will now compete in the GPF.

So, my power ranking:

Alina
Rika (who is getting closer to Alina by the month)
Satoko
Elizaveta
Kaori/Evgenia
Wakaba
Sofia/Eunsoo
Bradie
Mako

I think Evgenia can rise again, but she is struggling. Apart from all the changes, I think the hate she got hit her hard, where she used to brush it off more. You could see the enormous tension in her even before she started. Don't know what's going on with Maria. She was the silver medalist last year at GPF, but now she is struggling. Buyanova doesn't seem to be working well for anyone, so can she please go elsewhere?

I am also looking forward to Russian nats, where we will see the amazing juniors compete against the World's Gold and Silver medalist, as well as a former World Champion, another Olympian and a youth Olympic Champion.

It will also be interesting to see what will happen at Korean Nationals. A showdown of You Young, Eunsoo and Yelim Kim will be spectacular.
With Japanese Nationals you never know what will happen, as a lot of skaters have been close to each other in skills for the past few years.
American Nationals will also be interesting in the sense that they are regrouping and we will have to see who will rise to the challenge.

Mawwerg

Final Flight
I am looking forward to seeing Alina vs Rika at Worlds. Rika and Sofia are both skaters from that amazing JGPF from last year. A unique experience like that must have changed them a bit, and made them ready to compete with the greats. Not surprised that both will now compete in the GPF.

Yeah, it was outstanding competition in JGPF last year! I believe one of the best ever. And now five of that girls have qualified to finals again. :yahoo:

Tulipstar

Medalist
Yeah, it was outstanding competition in JGPF last year! I believe one of the best ever. And now five of that girls have qualified to finals again. :yahoo:

Can't wait for it! It will be the first time that Shcherbakova is battling Kostornaia and Trusova on the International stage. Those three and Tarakanova (who is also improving quickly), Yelim Kim and newcomer Alena Kanysheva make for an epic battle. It will be great to make another Power Ranking next year and add these young ladies as well. Figure skating is truly going to new heights.:hap10:

Metis

Shepherdess of the Teal Deer
Record Breaker
Don't know what's going on with Maria. She was the silver medalist last year at GPF, but now she is struggling. Buyanova doesn't seem to be working well for anyone, so can she please go elsewhere?
I think Sotskova has relatively strong basic skating skills and I actually really like her short programme, but the new UR rules are killing her. And URs don’t seem like an issue Buyanova is interested in fixing, which is a shame, as she won’t be able to compete if her TES is as shredded as her FS dress. :( I always liked her, even if she wasn’t the most exciting skater, but my heart always goes out to my fellow tall girls.

Tulipstar

Medalist
I think Sotskova has relatively strong basic skating skills and I actually really like her short programme, but the new UR rules are killing her. And URs don’t seem like an issue Buyanova is interested in fixing, which is a shame, as she won’t be able to compete if her TES is as shredded as her FS dress. :( I always liked her, even if she wasn’t the most exciting skater, but my heart always goes out to my fellow tall girls.

Yes, it's too bad that Buyanova isn't that interested in fixing URs, because it's hurting her skaters. I was glad to see a skater as tall as Maria competing at top level, but now she seems to be just sub-top.

And I don't think Gubanova has even competed internationally this season, has she? She was really hurt by that fourth place finish at JGP last year, which meant no second assignment and missed opportunities to get high SBs etc. I don't know how Panova would do with seniors, but she has a very promising junior with Alena Kanysheva, so she might be building her skills now for older skaters (instead of just being a kids skaters coach that sees her best students move to Eteri when they become near junior age). Maybe she would be a good fit for Gubanova, because I think she should be in the conversation for power rankings instead of being out in the wilderness like she is now.

On a different note, I am looking forward to seeing the Americans develop more strong skaters again. Their best of the last few years are retiring (or on the verge of). I like Bradie and Mariah, but I am looking forward to seeing a new skater burst onto the scene that we haven't heard of before. Of course there's Alysa Liu, but a big skating country like the US will probably have other talents that will come up.

moriel

Record Breaker
Another update
1. Alina Zagitova. Olympic Champion. Struggled relatively at her GPs, but still a head above the rest of the field.
2. Rika Kihira. Great performance on her 1st GP. While she won her second GP, though, her performance was somewhat not so good, bringing back memories of last year's inconsistent Rika. Not enough to move up.
3. Satoko Miyahara. She has the artistry and the consistency. Judges seem to be more than eager to reward her jump technique this season
4. Liza Tuktamisheva. Has a 3A and not afraid to use it. Her components may be an issue, unfortunately, but she still is top.
5. (+1) Kaori Sakamoto. Lets see how it goes for her, great jumps and all, if she managed to skate clean, she will climb up the ranks by a lot.
6. (+1) Mai Mihara. Good skates at both of her GPs.
7. (-2) Zhenya Medvedeva. While other ladies are slaying, Zhenya keeps underperforming. Will she be able to come strong at Rusnats?
8. (+2) Sofia Samodurova. Solid skates at her GP events and a bit of luck won her a ticket to GPF.
9. (-1) Bradie Tennell. URs and consistency issues.
10. (new) Stanislava Konstantinova. A clean skate at her first GP, and a very strong FS at her second GP. If lucky and clean, may get into top 10 at any major competition.

Globetrotter

Medalist
Y'all need to stop throwing feces at each other. XD

Alina is a great competitor. She is fuelled by competition. i.e. Olympics. She's a fighter.
Rika is also great and is learning to adapt in the senior circuit. i.e. GP France.
Satoko is awesome and needs better scores in PCS for her beautiful short program that she performs so well.
Evgenia is a great skater no matter what adversities she's facing as of the moment.
Kaetlyn is not competing. She deserved all of her accolades.

I'm excited for GPF next week. May the best woman win. *insert Rupaul XD

Every skater has their strengths and weaknesses. It’s just that I wish the judging is more consistently showing what is displayed. Alina has got to be one of the grittiest competitor and elks out those tough combos, so she rightfully deserves the +3 GOEs. PCS wise, I still struggle to see how she is like 9s in SS, IN and the CO especially with a cram as much content in programme with moves barely held out. Satoko deserves her PCS and more but please, those jumps are barely +1. I rather see lower TES and higher PCS, the total score may not be any different but this is more indicative of what she delivered. Unfortunately with her inherent jump weaknesses, she is close to her max and I dare say Alina and Rika will have much higher scoring potential. Rika has all the goods but needs to improve the consistency and focus. Zhenya is struggling but I think this is inherently a good sign - no pain, no gain and this may serve as motivation to stay focus as we all know she is far better and tougher than that.

jenm

The Last One Degree
Medalist
Every skater has their strengths and weaknesses. It’s just that I wish the judging is more consistently showing what is displayed. Alina has got to be one of the grittiest competitor and elks out those tough combos, so she rightfully deserves the +3 GOEs. PCS wise, I still struggle to see how she is like 9s in SS, IN and the CO especially with a cram as much content in programme with moves barely held out. Satoko deserves her PCS and more but please, those jumps are barely +1. I rather see lower TES and higher PCS, the total score may not be any different but this is more indicative of what she delivered. Unfortunately with her inherent jump weaknesses, she is close to her max and I dare say Alina and Rika will have much higher scoring potential. Rika has all the goods but needs to improve the consistency and focus. Zhenya is struggling but I think this is inherently a good sign - no pain, no gain and this may serve as motivation to stay focus as we all know she is far better and tougher than that.

I agree with all your points. And I think the same. :)
This thread was just somewhat derailed for a bit.

yume

🍉
Record Breaker
Satoko deserves her PCS and more but please, those jumps are barely +1. I rather see lower TES and higher PCS, the total score may not be any different but this is more indicative of what she delivered. Unfortunately with her inherent jump weaknesses, she is close to her max and I dare say Alina and Rika will have much higher scoring potential. Rika has all the goods but needs to improve the consistency and focus.
Yes Satoko deserve higher PCS. She's the only one who should score 37+ and 75+ IMO. But i don't think that total score won't be any different if her jumps are scored more strictly. IMO, her TES should be around 35+ and 65+ at best. If she gets like 4 more points on PCS in the free (Her best PCS is 71, so something like 75), that won't make up the 10 points that she sould lose in TES (her best TES are 75, so something like 65). The max would be around 140, and not 145 that she got at SA (and we will see a score close to 150 in GPF if she doesn't get UR calls).

BillNeal

You Know I'm a FS Fan...
Record Breaker
Alina is a lovely girl but contrary to people's opinions, she's not untouchable, even when she was clean today. How things change in two short months since that B event...guess some people will still have to wait until the FS before they realize who the real #1 is now (who BTW has the WR for SP now) ;). Some of us have already recognized that reputation judging can only get a skater so far and that the momentum has been shifting.

I'll probably wait for the FS scores, but what this indicates is that the judges are looking for better basics, better jumps with good technique, and difficulty all rolled into one: Kihira is a beckoning to classic skating for the judges. It might be too early to say, but depending on how they score her PCS and GOE for the free if she goes clean, they might not be setting up a match for the WCs at all, they might be indicating who they think should win.

rachno2

Record Breaker
I'll probably wait for the FS scores, but what this indicates is that the judges are looking for better basics, better jumps with good technique, and difficulty all rolled into one: Kihira is a beckoning to classic skating for the judges. It might be too early to say, but depending on how they score her PCS and GOE for the free if she goes clean, they might not be setting up a match for the WCs at all, they might be indicating who they think should win.

I don’t think the judges are that smart lol. Somebody posted in the comp chat that PCS rewards the “flavor of the month”, and right now it’s Rika. Do I think she has better basics, jumps and difficulty than Alina? Yes. But I don’t think the judges actually care about that. :shrug:

It is nice to actually have a competition this season, though. :popcorn: even if it is between only two people

I don’t think the judges are that smart lol. Somebody posted in the comp chat that PCS rewards the “flavor of the month”, and right now it’s Rika. Do I think she has better basics, jumps and difficulty than Alina? Yes. But I don’t think the judges actually care about that. :shrug:

This particular idea goes off why Kostner, IMO, gets too high PCS, despite being repeatedly beaten, not having particularly interesting programs, and not being particularly consistent (Which is usually what fetches PCS). The skating is done with good basics and the jumps are done with good technique, and beckons to "days gone by". The judges aren't smart, true. But they ARE looking to set up match ups for the reigning champion and they DO have specific rigid ideals in mind, and Kihira skating with better overall basics and difficulty (especially with Zagi's flaws being so blatantly exposed in her programs this season) gives them an easy chance to prop her up against Zagi. Good thing is, it would be deserved.

bobbob

Medalist
I predict Rika will get higher PCS than Alina in the free if both skate clean. PCS basically now is here to reaffirm the technical score. I may have to adjust my power rankings...I didn't know Alina would be dumped so quickly.

I have to wonder, if the instability of the judges is what is leading to such short lifespans of skaters...when we had Yuna Mao Carolina their PCS (and stronger GOEs) would basically save them from any newcomers, even when they would make mistakes. Not necessarily a good or bad thing, but it seems like the judges today are willing to dump skaters much more easily. (And it's not like there is no more reputation based judging, there still is--it is just that who has the reputation seems to be changing much more)

skatenewbie

Medalist
its such a waste that Liza didnt skate clean. If she skate clean like she did in her 2 GP she could go over 78 with 33+ PCS and 45+ TES and place above Alina.

Globetrotter

Medalist
https://youtu.be/Ul7_q9kasuI

10 years later, a program to the same music at the GPF gets rewarded more on PCS with far inferior choreography, interpretation, and skating quality. An unfortunate trend for the last decade.

Lets just say that basic SS and quality are out of fashion now. The focus is now on cramming as many steps and moves before and after an element to get more TR scores and GOEs.