2018-19: New Season, New Rules, & Judging: Singles and Pairs | Golden Skate

2018-19: New Season, New Rules, & Judging: Singles and Pairs

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States

The ISU Releases its new Constitution and General Regulations and the Special Regulations and Technical Rules 2018 for each Discipline.

The role of the International Skating Union (ISU) is to regulate, govern and promote its sport. All these, with one goal, to keep developing the disciplines of Speed Skating, Short Track Speed Skating, Figure Skating and Synchronized Skating. It is essential for the sport and its rules and regulations to evolve side by side in order to grow.

Following the International Skating Union’s 57th Ordinary Congress on June 8, 2018 in Sevilla (ESP), the new ISU Constitution and General Regulations and the Special Regulations and Technical Rules for each discipline were voted on and have now been published and are all available on the ISU.ORG. They are valid for the seasons 2018/19 and 2019/20. New proposals will be presented and voted on during the next ISU Congress in June 2020.

Figure Skating Special Regulations & Technical Rules
Synchronized Skating Special Regulations & Technical Rules
Speed Skating Special Regulations & Technical Rules
Short Track Speed Skating Special Regulations & Technical Rules

Some of the most important decisions of the Congress from the Agenda ISU Communication 2156 and Urgent Matters ISU Communication 2160 are summarized here. All information regarding the 57th ISU Congress 2018 is available on https://www.isu.org/isu-congresses.

For more details regarding the special regulations and technical rules, please visit: https://isu.org/isu-statutes-constitution-regulations-technical

Feel free to use this thread to discuss your thoughts on the judging this season as well as:

• Scale of Values
  • Levels of Difficulty of Single/Pair Skating Elements
  • Marking +GOE of Single/Pair Skating Elements (positive aspects)
  • Establishing GOE for errors in Short Program and Free Skating

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
To be honest, I don't think any fan wanted them gone in the first place.

I'm all for having the programmes in all categories the same length. But, instead of reducing the Men and the Pairs, they should have increased the Ladies and the Ice Dance.

The problem is that the TV companies want things shortened because they believe that people nowadays have shorter attention spans and will turn over if something is too long.

Balderdash!

CaroLiza_fan

GarthAqua

On the Ice
Watching Lombardia toady and the men event is so exhausting. Aliev and Shoma look like they were sucked out of energy in the second half. Now with only one less jump, they lost 30s to rest and adjust.

Anni234

Ina Bauer
Record Breaker
Country
Estonia
I was so puzzled when I read the title, thinking why would we want the 1930-s back :laugh::palmf:

ancientpeas

The Notorious SEW
Record Breaker
It will be fine. The judges are already making up the saved time by taking extra time to put up the marks with the new rules.

surimi

Onward and forward, Sota!
Record Breaker
^ Yup, seconded.
Why do people have issues with the programs being 30 seconds shorter? I haven't noticed any difference. :scratch2: If it's less exhausting for skaters this way, I'm all for it.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
I heard it's actually more exhausting , for both men and pairs because it means you have to fit in all the elements in a shorter time. It's kind of akin to trying run an 3k compared to a 5k. Yes the 3k is shorter, but you have less room for error and basically have to be at a faster race pace the whole time.

Last edited:

Yatagarasu

Record Breaker
If it's less exhausting for skaters this way, I'm all for it.

It is not less exhausting, it is more exhausting.
The worst is going to be for a program that has both quads and actual content. As Hanyu said, the 30sec makes the program more busy and tougher to skate. You lose one triple and that's 10 seconds but what about the 20 sec left.
At Lombardia we could see it already, Shoma's program is still a WIP and he was out of it. Not sure I have ever seen him that way before. Not just him either.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
It is not less exhausting, it is more exhausting.
The worst is going to be for a program that has both quads and actual content. As Hanyu said, the 30sec makes the program more busy and tougher to skate. You lose one triple and that's 10 seconds but what about the 20 sec left.
At Lombardia we could see it already, Shoma's program is still a WIP and he was out of it. Not sure I have ever seen him that way before. Not just him either.

And it was worse for the guys at SLC because of the elevation. But basically everyone looked gassed after the first 2/3s.

BillNeal

You Know I'm a FS Fan...
Record Breaker
Has it been finalized that they are increasing the number of pairs that qualify for Worlds and Euros? That's the only potentially good thing to have come out of this.

Yatagarasu

Record Breaker
And it was worse for the guys at SLC because of the elevation. But basically everyone looked gassed after the first 2/3s.

Yeah, true.

And I agree about the pacing. It's really going to be difficult if one makes an error then, as catching up is going to be a nightmare.

IceBallerina

On the Ice
Yuzuru Hanyu said it’s much harder to do without the 30 seconds.

We can already see the effects of it now, it will probably be even more apparent once we hit the GP circuit.