2018-2019 GP Assignments | Page 84 | Golden Skate

2018-2019 GP Assignments

frida80

Record Breaker
The Grand Prix has always been about politics. It's why I take it all with a grain of salt. Starting from when the they put out the schedule and you can already see the federations have had a hand in deciding things. Don't worry, for the next six weeks we're going to be complaining about unfair scoring.

It's one of the reasons I like the JGP. Slots are decided by JW. Most of the counties during the competition are not hosted by large federations. So there is less drama.

NanaPat

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Recall that most of the Grand Prix events existed before there was ever a Grand Prix system.

The Grand Prix series started in 1995. Four of the events predate that (America 1979, Canada 1973, France 1987, and Japan 1979). COC was new in 2003, but it replace a German event that started in 1986 and was part of the GP through 2002. The Russian event started in 1996, but there was an earlier Russian international event that started in 1966.

So the IOC kind of adopted and adapted events that were already going on and being hosted by the federations.

For those who want to strip the hosts of any power of invitation, I say, fine. Then let the ISU fund and host the competitions, or have rotating host federations, like they do for other events, and work out funding and other arrangements on a case-by-case basis. Or let other organizations, like Golden Skate, bid on hosting them.

kimi492

Final Flight
I think it should be some type of mix - a certain % of skaters for each event are invited (including the host spots in this %) and then the rest are based on some type of algorithm - world standings, highest score of the season based on the B competitions, etc. I see why a completely results based GP wouldn't be the best outcome for all skaters - so a mix of these two would at least ensure some type of merit on who is chosen.

Also if anyone would be kind enough to explain this document to me - https://www.isu.org/docman-document...ries-2/17412-ladies-2018-19-all-6-events/file
So there's a blank spot under skate america and Dabin Choi's spot is still crossed out but same # of skaters - so does that mean 2 spots have yet to been filled? Skate America and NHK?

Jeanie19

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
The Grand Prix has always been about politics. It's why I take it all with a grain of salt. Starting from when the they put out the schedule and you can already see the federations have had a hand in deciding things. Don't worry, for the next six weeks we're going to be complaining about unfair scoring.

It's one of the reasons I like the JGP. Slots are decided by JW. Most of the counties during the competition are not hosted by large federations. So there is less drama.

:agree: And it's like certain competitions the winners have already been selected. I just hope there are lots of surprises and the judging is fair.

noidont

Final Flight
KOR fed declining to host might be a reason they pass over Korean skaters. Not exactly unfair to be honest.

randomfan

Record Breaker
About the whole Eunsoo situation...it’s infuriating that even GP Helsinki skipped her. I had a feeling Skate Canada wasn’t going to invite her from the start because of Alaine, but I really thought that she’d be a shoo-in for Helsinki. The thing is, with the WD of Gabby, both Canada and Finland don’t really have skaters to “protect” anymore because none of the current host picks have second spots (other than Alaine who also originally had one). And it’s highly unlikely that these skaters will get second spots anyways. Also I’d find it hard to believe that Eunsoo herself declined the spots because she specifically stated that she wished to skate in a second GP. Thus, the only explanation left would be politicking. Perhaps USFSA had specifically asked for their skaters to be invited even though they already had spots, and now it’s hard on Angela and Starr because they have back-to-back spots.

At this point, if even NHK skips her (which would contradict their normal pattern of not having problems with “threats”) then she’d have to rely on someone withdrawing from France (and if she still doesn’t get a second spot after that, I guess no second GP for her).

Also if anyone would be kind enough to explain this document to me - https://www.isu.org/docman-document...ries-2/17412-ladies-2018-19-all-6-events/file
So there's a blank spot under skate america and Dabin Choi's spot is still crossed out but same # of skaters - so does that mean 2 spots have yet to been filled? Skate America and NHK?

It likely means that USFSA has decided to not fill in the remaining spot.

moriel

Record Breaker
i agree with the posters who say that Eunsoo not being invited has nothing to do with protecting their own skaters, but rather with some obscure ISU politiking, such as payback for not hosting the homeless GP or something even weirder than that, maybe some internal bs that started at the olympics, for example

Eunsoo is not a threat, because:
1. Its not like many feds have many podium / GPF contenders. Else, its not that much of a big deal if your skater finishes 6th and not 5th, for example.
2. Protect who, and from whom? I would understand if they didn't want to invite someone like Zhenya, for example, while having a gold contender on their own. Eunsoo is just an up and coming junior, with all due respect, who never medaled at Junior Worlds and never made JGPF. We seen, over the years, quite a lot of replacements being made, after all.

kimi492

Final Flight
About the whole Eunsoo situation...it’s infuriating that even GP Helsinki skipped her. I had a feeling Skate Canada wasn’t going to invite her from the start because of Alaine, but I really thought that she’d be a shoo-in for Helsinki. The thing is, with the WD of Gabby, both Canada and Finland don’t really have skaters to “protect” anymore because none of the current host picks have second spots (other than Alaine who also originally had one). And it’s highly unlikely that these skaters will get second spots anyways. Also I’d find it hard to believe that Eunsoo herself declined the spots because she specifically stated that she wished to skate in a second GP. Thus, the only explanation left would be politicking. Perhaps USFSA had specifically asked for their skaters to be invited even though they already had spots, and now it’s hard on Angela and Starr because they have back-to-back spots.

At this point, if even NHK skips her (which would contradict their normal pattern of not having problems with “threats”) then she’d have to rely on someone withdrawing from France (and if she still doesn’t get a second spot after that, I guess no second GP for her).

It likely means that USFSA has decided to not fill in the remaining spot.

What's the point of not giving someone a spot?? I'm sure there are plenty of girls who would love that opportunity! And Eunsoo is right there! She could be there in 3 hours!

Kara

Final Flight
SA being SA. I would be annoyed if I was paying for a ticket and they wouldn’t fill up the spot. Same price but one less skater.

It would be more horrifying to me if they were punishing Eunsoo and the other Korean skaters because the KSU has no money so I’m going to believe the scratching backs theory or the possibility of Eunsoo declining it (which would mean she has an injury :() I want transparency on this issue though, not just for Eunsoo’s sake but for skaters in following seasons.:/

Ice Dance

Record Breaker
Also I really hope Shpilevaya Smirnov take the place after being treated unfair and not given the home GP. But actually is it possible after there are already two Russian couples invited there?

Three teams can be invited. (Though if Finland wants to play the game, they have their own dance team and the Finnish team can defeat some of the other teams on the replacement list. It is Russia's own fault S&S aren't on their own list. They could fix it if they wished. Morozova & Bagin have done nothing to deserve an event over the teams actually on the replacement list).

moriel

Record Breaker
Three teams can be invited. (Though if Finland wants to play the game, they have their own dance team and the Finnish team can defeat some of the other teams on the replacement list. It is Russia's own fault S&S aren't on their own list. They could fix it if they wished. Morozova & Bagin have done nothing to deserve an event over the teams actually on the replacement list).

Well, Morozova / Bagin could be an internal politiking move ^^

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
What's the point of not giving someone a spot?? I'm sure there are plenty of girls who would love that opportunity! And Eunsoo is right there! She could be there in 3 hours!

And Kailani could be there in hours too!

Even if they're playing political games they had options.

IlVoloFan

Final Flight
Country
Turkey
Normally in the summer I was expecting USFSA to give a spot to Gracie but now they have to give it to Eunsoo as soon as possible. How on earth she can get just 1 GP, when she is so on point??

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Normally in the summer I was expecting USFSA to give a spot to Gracie but now they have to give it to Eunsoo as soon as possible. How on earth she can get just 1 GP, when she is so on point??

At least she has one!