2018 European Championships: ISU Predictions Game Round 1 | Page 4 | Golden Skate

2018 European Championships: ISU Predictions Game Round 1

casualfan

On the Ice
Mens and Pairs, the rest I'll put in tomorrow.

MEN
1. Javier Fernandez
2. Mikhail Kolyada
3. Alexander Samarin
4. Alexei Bychenko
5. Morris Kvitelashvili
6. Dmitri Aliev

PAIRS
1. Tarasova / Morozov
2. Stolbova / Klimov
3. James / Cipres
4. Della Monica / Guarise
5. Zabiako / Enbert
6. Marchei / Hotarek

CaroLiza_fan

MINIOL ALATMI REKRIS. EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA.
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
When I came to do the Men, I wasn’t going to look up everybody because of the sheer number of entries (37). But, I was curious to know where Conor slotted in, so I did. I wish I hadn’t, because he ended up in 37th position.

Anyway, back to the top, and I really didn’t know what to do. Javi or Misha? Normally, it would be Javi all the way. But, they have been scoring very similarly this season. And although Kolyada is a St. Petersburg boy, the audience will be getting right behind him. Will this be added pressure or will it help him? Who knows?!

Sorry Javi, I’m a big fan, but I’m going for Misha.

Another big decision was over the remaining scoring positions. And I had so many to choose from. Samarin, Bychenko, Hendrickx, Kvitelashvili, Aliev, Majorov…

It could go any way. But, the way I went was with Samarin. I would have loved to have gone with Aliev as my second Russian, but that tactic has backfired every other time I have done it this season. And, in the end, he didn’t even make my Top 5 here, because I wanted to have Bychenko and Hendrickx in scoring positions.

I had actually been thinking of putting Hendrickx on the podium, because he is a dark horse for it. But I chickened out, and put him into 4th instead, with Bychenko in 5th.

Moris is another one that I had wanted to put in my Top 5, but there just aren’t enough spaces to put everybody in who could get in. So, he ended up 7th. And Majorov hasn’t been scoring as highly this season, so that is why I put him at the end of the battle.

For the remaining 2 positions in the Top 10, I went for 2 guys who I would like to see get into the Top 10. Firstly, Březina, because I like the guy and, after the success he has had in the past, I would like to see him get a decent result in his final Europeans. And secondly, Besseghier, because he deserves something good after the health problems he had earlier in the season, and because I like him and suspect this will be his final Europeans.

In Pairs, I was torn. Should I make my Top 5 a Russian-Italian hegemony, or should I have Vanessa and Morgan infiltrating? In the end, I went with the latter.

With Savchenko / Massot withdrawing, the first two places were always going to be going to Russia. And, I opted for Tarasova / Morozov over Stolbova / Klimov.

For third, I was torn between having an all-Russian podium (OK, so Natalja is Estonian, but you know what I mean!) and having James / Cipres on the podium. And in the end, I decided to break the Russian domination.

Knowing how much I love her, I think you all know who I am having complete my Top 5. Yes, the lovely Miss Marchei and Mr. Anna Cappellini.

I was tempted to put Ziegler / Kiefer as my alternate, as they have been getting more and more impressive every time I see them. But, della Monica / Guarise have been on the podium every competition they have done this season, and have been scoring a lot higher than the Austrians as well. So, there was no debate over who to have ahead.

For the rest, I kept them in absolute PB order. For the simple reason that the next three on the list were the 3 that I was going to have rounding up my Top 10 anyway, but I didn’t know what order to put them into!

I have to admit, I was disappointed to find that partnership representing Switzerland were at the bottom of the field. I had actually been tempted to put them into the Top 10. Although, that is just the devil in me wanting to hear the commentators attempts at saying Yulia’s surname! :devil:

Since I am not going to be watching LIVE due to “technical difficulties” (the new HDMI lead hasn’t arrived yet, and I am not finding it enjoyable to watch skating with the picture in front of me at one end of the room and the sound behind me at the other end of the room), I will break away now and do the remaining categories after I have my breakfast.

CaroLiza_fan

EUROPEAN CHAMPIONSHIPS

Men

1. Mikhail KOLYADA, RUS
2. Javier FERNANDEZ, ESP
3. Alexander SAMARIN, RUS
4. Jorik HENDRICKX, BEL
5. Alexei BYCHENKO, ISR

Just for fun:
6. Dmitri ALIEV, RUS
7. Moris KVITELASHVILI, GEO
8. Alexander MAJOROV, SWE
9. Michal BREZINA, CZE
10. Chafik BESSEGHIER, FRA

Pairs

1. Evgenia TARASOVA / Vladimir MOROZOV, RUS
2. Ksenia STOLBOVA / Fedor KLIMOV, RUS
3. Vanessa JAMES / Morgan CIPRES, FRA
4. Natalia ZABIIAKO / Alexander ENBERT, RUS
5. Valentina MARCHEI / Ondrej HOTAREK, ITA

Just for fun:
6. Nicole DELLA MONICA / Matteo GUARISE, ITA
7. Miriam ZIEGLER / Severin KIEFER, AUT
8. Annika HOCKE / Ruben BLOMMAERT, GER
9. Paige CONNERS / Evgeni KRASNOPOLSKI, ISR
10. Lola ESBRAT / Andrei NOVOSELOV, FRA

CaroLiza_fan

Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland

I'm doing the same.

BUT, remember to put them into a separate post, otherwise your Men's and Pairs predictions will be invalidated. And I never like to see that happening.

CaroLiza_fan

teamgoldengeese

Rinkside
Taking a few chances, making a few wild (unlikely) predictions. But, hey, why not?

Ladies
1 Evgenia MEDVEDEVA
2 Carolina KOSTNER
3 Alina ZAGITOVA
4 Maria SOTSKOVA
5 Laurine LECAVELIER
6 Loena HENDRICKX

Men
1 Javier FERNANDEZ
2 Mikhail KOLYADA
3 Moris KVITELASHVILI
4 Dmitri ALIEV
5 Alexander SAMARIN
6 Alexei BYCHENKO

Pairs
1 Vanessa JAMES / Morgan CIPRES
2 Evgenia TARASOVA / Vladimir MOROZOV
3 Ksenia STOLBOVA / Fedor KLIMOV
4 Nicole DELLA MONICA / Matteo GUARISE
5 Valentina MARCHEI / Ondrej HOTAREK
6 Natalia ZABIIAKO / Alexander ENBERT

Dance
1 Gabriella PAPADAKIS / Guillaume CIZERON
2 Ekaterina BOBROVA / Dmitri SOLOVIEV
3 Anna CAPPELLINI / Luca LANOTTE
4 Alexandra STEPANOVA / Ivan BUKIN
5 Charlene GUIGNARD / Marco FABBRI
6 Tiffani ZAGORSKI / Jonathan GUERREIRO

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Taking a few chances, making a few wild (unlikely) predictions. But, hey, why not?

Ladies
1 Evgenia MEDVEDEVA
2 Carolina KOSTNER
3 Alina ZAGITOVA
4 Maria SOTSKOVA
5 Laurine LECAVELIER
6 Loena HENDRICKX

Men
1 Javier FERNANDEZ
2 Mikhail KOLYADA
3 Moris KVITELASHVILI
4 Dmitri ALIEV
5 Alexander SAMARIN
6 Alexei BYCHENKO

Pairs
1 Vanessa JAMES / Morgan CIPRES
2 Evgenia TARASOVA / Vladimir MOROZOV
3 Ksenia STOLBOVA / Fedor KLIMOV
4 Nicole DELLA MONICA / Matteo GUARISE
5 Valentina MARCHEI / Ondrej HOTAREK
6 Natalia ZABIIAKO / Alexander ENBERT

Dance
1 Gabriella PAPADAKIS / Guillaume CIZERON
2 Ekaterina BOBROVA / Dmitri SOLOVIEV
3 Anna CAPPELLINI / Luca LANOTTE
4 Alexandra STEPANOVA / Ivan BUKIN
5 Charlene GUIGNARD / Marco FABBRI
6 Tiffani ZAGORSKI / Jonathan GUERREIRO

I will do this for fun because I don't know enough sorry about the spelling

Pairs

Gold Tarasova and Morosov
Silver James and Cipres
Bronze Stolbova and Klimov

Dance
Gold Papadakis and Cizeron
Silver Cappellini/Lanotte
Bronze Bobrova and Soloviev

Men's

Gold Fernandez
Silver Kolyada
Bronze Bychenko

Ladies

Gold Zagitova
Silver Kostner
Bronze Medvedeva

Baron Vladimir

Record Breaker
MEN:
1. Fernandez
2. Kolyada
3. Samarin
4. Bychenko
5. Aliev
6. Hendrickx

LADIES:
1. Medvedeva
2. Zagitova
3. Kostner
4. Sotskova
5. Meite
6. Schott

PAIRS:
1. Tarasova/Morozov
2. James/Cipres
3. Stolbova/Klimov
4. Della Monica/Guarise
5. Zabijako/Enbert
6. Marchei/Hotarek

DANCE:
1. Papadakis/Cizeron
2. Bobrova/Soloviev
3. Cappellini/Lanotte
4. Stepanova/Bukin
5. Coomes/Buckland
6. Guignard/Fabri

Debrah

On the Ice
MEN
1. Fernandez
2. Kolyada
3. Samarin
4. Hendrickx
5. Bychenko
6. KVITELASHVILI

LADIES
1. Medvedeva
2. Zagitova
3. Kostner
4. Sotskova
5. Schott
6. Rajicova

PAIRS
1. Tarasova/Morozov
2. James/Cipres
3. Stolbova/Klimov
4. Della Monica/Guarise
5. Zabiiako/Enbert
6. Marchei/Hotarek

DANCE
1. Papadakis/Cizeron
2. Bobrova/Soloviev
3. Cappellini/Lanotte
4. Stepanova/Bukin
5. Guignard/Fabbri
6. Fournier Beaudry/Sorensen

NYscorp6

On the Ice
Country
United-States
My European Championship Predictions:

LADIES
1. Alina ZAGITOVA
2. Evgenia MEDVEDEVA
3. Carolina KOSTNER
4. Maria Sotskova
5. Nicole SCHOTT
6. Laurine LACAVELIER

MEN
1. Mikail KOLYADA
2. Javier FERNANDEZ
3. Alexander SAMARIN
4. Dmitri ALIEV
5. Alexei BYCHENKO
6. Jorik HENDRICKX

ICE DANCE
1. Gabriella PAPADAKIS / Guillaume CIZERON
2. Anna CAPPELLINI / Luca LANOTTE
3. Ekaterina BOBROVA / Dmitri SOLOVIEV
4. Alexandra STEPANOVA / Ivan BUKIN
5. Charlene GUIGNARD / Marco FABBRI
6. Tiffani ZAGORSKI / Jonathan GUERREIRO

PAIRS
1. Evgenia TARASOVA / Vladimir MOROZOV
2. Ksenia STOLBOVA / Fedor KLIMOV
3. Vanessa JAMES / Morgan CIPRES
4. Nicole DELLA MONICA / Matteo GUARISE
5. Natalia ZABIIAKO / Alexander ENBERT
6. Valentina MARCHEI / Ondrej HOTAREK

Good luck everyone!

Spirals for Miles

Anna Shcherbakova is my World Champion
Record Breaker
I'm sorry NYscorp6, but you have submitted your men's predictions too late. Thus, only ladies, dance, and pairs will count.

casualfan

On the Ice

MEN
1. Javier Fernandez
2. Mikhail Kolyada
3. Alexander Samarin
4. Alexei Bychenko
5. Morris Kvitelashvili
6. Dmitri Aliev

PAIRS
1. Tarasova / Morozov
2. Stolbova / Klimov
3. James / Cipres
4. Della Monica / Guarise
5. Zabiako / Enbert
6. Marchei / Hotarek

Here are the Ladies and Ice Dance:

LADIES
1. Evgenia Medvedeva
2. Alina Zagitova
3. Carolina Kostner
4. Maria Sotskova
5. Nicole Schott
6. Mae Berenice Meite

ICE DANCE
1. Papadakis / Cizeron
2. Bobrova / Soloviev
3. Cappellini / Lanotte
4. Stepanova / Bukin
5. Guignard / Fabbri
6. Coomes / Buckland

CaroLiza_fan

Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
The Hunger Games. Sorry, I mean the Ladies.

For the first time in forever, I think that the order I would dream of seeing the Ladies finish in is actually possible. I’ve nothing against Zhenya, but I am inclined to be extra cautious with her since this is her first competition back from injury.

Consequently, I have opted to have my little Tatar princess from Udmurtia continue her winning run. For second, I have chosen the skater that started this journey off for me, Carolina Kostner. And for third, the youngest of my wives from my Crazy Future Predictions story, Maria Sotskova.

When I looked up the past results, I got a surprise. I was expecting the two French girls to be next, but Diana Nikitina was actually ahead of them. Mind you, she was only 0.04 ahead of Maé-Bérénice!

This actually presented a problem, because I was intending on having the next 4 positions as Lecavallier, Méité, Rajičová, Hendrickx. But, given that Nikitina was higher than all of them, I had to fit her somewhere in there. So, given that there was barely a point covering Nikitina and the 2 French girls, I simply reversed the order of those three, and kept Rajičová and Hendrickx behind them.

The arrival of Nikitina into the equation meant that I had to evict one of the girls I wanted to have in my Top 10. I had wanted to include Schott and Tóth, who were 10th and 12th respectively on the absolute PB list. Schott was only 0.08 behind Hendrivkx. But, I really wanted Tóth in my Top 10, so I opted to have her jump ahead of Schott and Russo. Well, there wasn’t much covering them anyway – only 2.16 points.

For Dance, there was only ever one order I was going to have for the medallists. The real debate was over which order to put Stepanova / Bukin and the two native-English-speaking partnerships.

In the end, I went for the English/Polish/Aussie/Portuguese partnership representing Russia. Tiffany and Jonathan have been improving so much over the past few years, but this season they really took a step up. To the extent that I can see them being real contenders here. I am inclined to be cautious with Penny and Nick because they are still on the road back after her horrific knee injury. But, I have a feeling that they could pull a surprise here, so I put them in front of Stepanova / Bukin.

Next I put Guignard / Fabbri into 7th. They were actually as high as 5th on the absolute PB list, with their recent score from Nationals. But, I wanted to put all the partnerships representing the host country ahead of them, so they dropped out of my Top 6.

For the remaining places in my Top 10, it was so difficult. There are so many partnerships that I think are capable of doing it. And so many that I like. So, I looked down the list and picked the three partnerships who I would most like to see in the Top 10.

And by sheer coincidence, each of these partnerships had at least one skater who was from Kharkov! (What is it about Kharkov that there are so many skaters that I like that come from that city!)

CaroLiza_fan

EUROPEAN CHAMPIONSHIPS

Ladies

1. Alina ZAGITOVA, RUS
2. Carolina KOSTNER, ITA
3. Maria SOTSKOVA, RUS
4. Evgenia MEDVEDEVA, RUS
5. Laurine LECAVELIER, FRA

Just for fun:
6. Mae Berenice MEITE, FRA
7. Diana NIKITINA, LAT
8. Nicole RAJICOVA, SVK
9. Loena HENDRICKX, BEL
10. Ivett TOTH, HUN

Ice Dance

1. Gabriella PAPADAKIS / Guillaume CIZERON, FRA
2. Ekaterina BOBROVA / Dmitri SOLOVIEV, RUS
3. Anna CAPPELLINI / Luca LANOTTE, ITA
4. Tiffani ZAGORSKI / Jonathan GUERREIRO, RUS
5. Penny COOMES / Nicholas BUCKLAND, GBR

Just for fun:
6. Alexandra STEPANOVA / Ivan BUKIN, RUS
7. Charlene GUIGNARD / Marco FABBRI, ITA
8. Alexandra NAZAROVA / Maxim NIKITIN, UKR
9. Natalia KALISZEK / Maksym SPODYRIEV, POL
10. Alisa AGAFONOVA / Alper UCAR, TUR

Spirals for Miles

Record Breaker
CaroLiza_fan, you are great in most aspects, but putting Zhenya in 4th seems so cruel...

Spirals for Miles

Record Breaker
I just realized that I put S/M in my predictions and they aren't even competing here. :slink:
It's okay; everyone will slide up one
(2->1, 3->2, etc.)
If you had a 6th place finisher listed, then they will count as your 5th place
Otherwise, you'll be scored for 1-4

CaroLiza_fan

Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
CaroLiza_fan, you are great in most aspects, but putting Zhenya in 4th seems so cruel...

I know. And I did feel really guilty about doing it. But, I didn't know how well she had recovered from her injury. If we had seen her at a competition between the NHK and now (any competition - even a small obscure one), I would have put her into 2nd. But, we haven't.

Yes, I was being too cautious. And I knew it would backfire. But, I thought this would be the only opportunity I would get this season to put both Kostner and Sotskova on the podium. So, I took it.

Thank you for the compliment, by the way. I'm all embarrassed now! :eek::

CaroLiza_fan

Weathergal

Medalist
Men’s Results

GOLD with 45 points: alyssamarie, Artemisa, Debrah, invisiblespiral, Mattieu, Yatagarasu

SILVER with 40 points: corynna, Escarbille, ines42575, QueenOfTheRoad, silverfoxes, SnowWhite, SubRosa, Sugarpova, teamgoldengeese, voolfee, yoloaxel

BRONZE with 35 points: Antyv, apgold, Baron Vladimir, casualfan, Crossover, Fish in the sea, FSLover17, Hyena, icedance, Kittosuni, LaArdilla, LadyB, Luna Cat, Marius, Moxiejan, NoNameFace, randomfan, semosk8tfan, sequinsgalore, Sherlock Marple, surimi, vesperalvioletta, VikiLeeks, Weathergal, xibsuarz

Congratulations to all the medalists! :dance:

Another surprising Men’s event! Many people correctly predicted Javier Fernandez as the winner; the next most frequently picked winner was Mikhail Kolyada, who ended up in third place. Kolyada was most often picked in second place. No one had Dmitri Aliev correct in second place; the most frequent place people had him in their predictions was fourth. Also quite a few people had Alexander Samarin in third place, but he ended up in sixth place so unfortunately they received no points for that guess. Other skaters that messed with predictions were Jorik Hendrickx and Moris Kvitelashvili not being in the top six. A fair amount of people did have Alexei Bychenko correct in fifth place.

Don’t forget to put in your predictions for Four Continents Championships!

I’ve added the scores to the spreadsheet. If you have any corrections, please let me know.

semosk8tfan

Medalist
Country
United-States
DANCE RESULTS

GOLD with 75 perfect points: Anyasnake, Hyena and Mattieu

SILVER with 70 points: Fish in the sea

BRONZE with 65 points: (37 people!) alyssamarie, Antyv, Artemisa, casualfan, corynna, Debrah, icedance, ines42575, jiawen2016, Kittosuni, LaArdilla, Luna Cat, Marius, MsLiinaLii, Nathan13, NoNameFace, randomfan, rosacotton, selene16angie, semosk8tfan, sequinsgalore, silverfoxes, skatingfan200, SnowWhite, StitchMonkey, SubRosa, Sugarpova, sunnystars, surimi, teamgoldengeese, VikiLeeks, voolfee, Weathergal, Winry, xibsuarz, Yatagarasu, yoloaxel

Most people chose the top 5 teams but Stepanova/Bukin earning the bronze medal over Cappellinni/Lanotte messed with their placement predictions.

Congrats to all the medalists! This is my first time scoring so let me know if I need to make any corrections. I am off to add these scores to the spreadsheet.