2018 Nebelhorn Trophy: Thoughts and Highlights? | Page 4 | Golden Skate

2018 Nebelhorn Trophy: Thoughts and Highlights?

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
Me, too. :laugh:

I don't see how anyone is going to beat her this year.

Maybe Trusova at Russian Nationals, but other than that, Zagitova is looking to sweeeeep. VERY strong programs, and her combos are looking solid. IMO, she was a bit underscored on GOE on a couple jumps, but the judges were mostly right.

I can't with the programs though yet... warhorse central, and it's not a different take on either for me yet. Still early though.

The costumes too are a bit weird for an Olympic champion. I can't believe I'm saying this but I actually preferred the two tutus! :p

Figure 8's

On the Ice
I love Alina's new programs. Does she ever slow down? The speed and energy she has through the whole program is pretty amazing. The programs will be refined the more she skates them but she has thrown down the gauntlet to the others. I am here to win it all!

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
I don't think Alina is invincible. I admit everyone's programs are a work in progress - some more than others. But with her growth and her crash at World's plus the Japanese ladies are looking great some skaters with 3A she is not invincible. But I do admire and appreciate despite the growth and her horrific skate at worlds she is bringing it. She is definitely at the senior level Russia's best hope especially with Evgenia really struggling and the judges seem less enamoured with her. Maria being blah. The real challengers too young in Russia and Elena struggling still and Anna P unlikely able to catch up in time. Now the darkhorse Russian challenger to Alina - the grandmother of the sport - Liza T.

viennaskater

Medalist
I'm a little surprised that no one has mention Mueller/Dieck's FD. I totally loved it, with its highly unusual music choice, and the way they presented it. Not sure it's popular with the judges though. Both here and at Ondrej Nepela they weren't marked as highly as I would have hoped.