January 14-20, 2019

Men's Pre-Game Chat
sclogo.png

Last edited by a moderator:

Colonel Green

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Could Stephen beat Keegan for gold here?
First rule of men's events: anything can happen.

But Keegan has advantages, particularly in components, that will boost him even in a rougher skate. The Grand Prix Final was not a particularly good event for him, but he still outscored Stephen, who had only one significant error. He got 156.49 for the free skate with a doubled quad, a horrendous fall on a triple Axel, and negative GOE on his two executed quad jumps.

Stephen can expect more generous judging domestically and when he's competing in seniors against the older guys directly, but even from domestic results there's a gap. Compare, for the short programs, Keegan's GTSA summer skate grading to Stephen's Sectionals result. TES is about two points apart, negligible, but Stephen got 35.85 PCS to Keegan's 43.75.

The above applies to other seniors as well, though comparatively few of the other senior guys have the base value to really compete with Stephen's arsenal. Nam is certainly a contender this year, and Roman would be if he's more Autumn Classic than Skate Canada International.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
IT really is Keegan and then a battle for second spot. Keegan has been consistent and fairly solid mind you Nam has done well. Ij ust am disappointed Nam does not have the skating skills he should have by now. Maybe they could send him to skate with Patrick Chan. The other men are rather nondescrpit. Not particularly d.

Ziotic

Medalist
I see Keegan taking the title with Nam getting the second slot for worlds. I would like to see Roman get the 3rd slot for 4CC since neither Conrad or Jo have the minimums and Nic hasn’t had a great season.

For JW I would like to see Stephen and Conrad on the team. I like Jo and Iliya but I think those two have the best shot based on this seasons performances.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Conrad, Rowan, Nam, Nadeau are battling for that second world spot. Stephen can't go no matter what. I think Keegan needs to be the Jason Brown - skate clean and focus on good skating. However, he should try the quads since he does do them regularly unlike Jason. If keegan could skate clean at worlds could you imagine???

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
You can remove Conrad's name from the list. He is interested in the second spot, but of Junior Worlds :). Hope he get it :cheer:.

so much interesting into JWC that he has no worlds minimum for seniors, no competitions in seniors aside from Nationals.... so yeah... whatever happens, Conrad wouldn't even go to 4cc

icetug

Medalist
so much interesting into JWC that he has no worlds minimum for seniors, no competitions in seniors aside from Nationals.... so yeah... whatever happens, Conrad wouldn't even go to 4cc

He stated it specifically when asked about senior events he could take part in this season that he would focus on junior competitions including JWC. And yes, even if he wins Nationals (why not? wish him from the bottom of my heart) he won't go to any senior championships this winter as he hasn't got any senior TES.

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
Could Stephen beat Keegan for gold here?

Like everyone says, it is hard to say at this point. Keegan has the mileage over Stephen, but one never knows. I'm sure it's going to be exciting to watch

siberia82

Addicted to Canadian men's singles skating
Record Breaker
Country
Canada