2020-21 ISU Grand Prix season - Assignments Announced | Page 12 | Golden Skate

2020-21 ISU Grand Prix season - Assignments Announced

readernick

Medalist
A part of me is hoping that the 4 TBAs for China in ladies' are going to Korean ladies' skaters...
I doubt it will happen. If you are given special permission to enter China, you have to quarantine for two weeks at a hotel. Then, all arrivals are required to quarantine in South Korea for two weeks. ( I have a friend who recently returned to Korea, and just finished her two week quarantine). The ladies aren't going to be willing to quarantine for one month for one competition that doesn't even provide world ranking points.

Myr

On the Ice
The line up for IDF looks very promising! Personal favourites would be Kevin Aymoz, Deniss Vasiljevs (so good at Nebelhorn) and Shoma Uno, but the entire men's field looks great! I love Grassl's extra performances, Koshiro Shimada's enthousiasm and remember quite liking Adam Siao Him Fa at Europeans, so I am curious to see how he is doing.

The ladies field looks equally fun, Mae-Berenice Meite is always a joy to watch, she might be my favourite here but besides her I am also looking forward to Kibus and Paganini, their programs captured my attention at Nebelhorn, Emmi Peltonen and ofcourse Rika Kihira.

Other highlights: NHK, the men's field at SKAM and skate Canada.

Overall I'm just happy that there might be some skating :)

Jeanie19

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
The line up for IDF looks very promising! Personal favourites would be Kevin Aymoz, Deniss Vasiljevs (so good at Nebelhorn) and Shoma Uno, but the entire men's field looks great! I love Grassl's extra performances, Koshiro Shimada's enthousiasm and remember quite liking Adam Siao Him Fa at Europeans, so I am curious to see how he is doing.

The ladies field looks equally fun, Mae-Berenice Meite is always a joy to watch, she might be my favourite here but besides her I am also looking forward to Kibus and Paganini, their programs captured my attention at Nebelhorn, Emmi Peltonen and ofcourse Rika Kihira.

Other highlights: NHK, the men's field at SKAM and skate Canada.

Overall I'm just happy that there might be some skating :)
Great first post. Post often.

Jontor

Medalist
Country
Sweden
The Korean ladies really are the big losers here...:mad: Unless things are softening between Korea and China they are screwed.

The Russian, Japanese and the US mini championships will be fun!

I expect Skate Canada will be between Kurakova and Miyahara, all that the Canadians can hope for is third.

Kihira will probably rule IDF but it's also nice to see the Italian girls there, I wonder how they have trained given that Italy had a complete lockdown. Paganini, Kiibus and the Finnish girls make IDF exciting too.

I am sooo hoping that one of the Rukavicin girls gets a spot at Rostelecom (Gubanova, Talalaykina, Nugumanova) and Ksenia Sinitsyna!!!
But it will probably go to Konstantinova and someone else...(and as Gubanova was robbed of her rightful GP spot last season, can she please get it now!?!)

Lunalovesskating

Moonbear power 🐻
Record Breaker
Apparently the ISU did not notify skaters about their GP assignments nor consult them. Kao Miura voiced his confusion on instagram about being assigned to NHK, apparently he did not know about it.

Amei

Record Breaker
I'm lost ... If France doesn't impose quarantine ... why not more skaters
Per
From the ISU document:
The participation in each Grand Prix event is limited to:
i) Competitors and Officials of the host country/Organizing Grand Prix Member and
ii) Competitors regularly training in the respective host country and
iii) Competitors from other ISU Members who will be assigned to a Grand Prix event in the respective geographical area, always subject to the applicable travel, entry and sanitary restrictions of the concerned countries.

Still don't understand why Korean skaters were ignored, with Junhwan exception, which in fact doesn't put him in any better situation as he stays in Korea. The same for Katia Kurakova who stays in Poland and is not going to TCC. Not to mention Kaliszek/Spodyriev who haven't got any assignment at all. Why Polish skaters haven't been assigned to IdF and Korean to CoC?

There are still travel restrictions in place for a lot of countries where you are required to quarantine for 14 days once you arrive or once you get home you might be required to quarantine for 14 days, it's a logistical nightmare. As we can tell from the aborted Kihara transfer and Medvedeva going back to Eteri virtual coaching is unappealing, so if a skater went to France or China they might have to go without their coach or be responsible for paying for 'lost wages' if the coach has to quarantine when they get back and cannot train their other athletes. Plus see the situation with Medvedeva, she went to Japan and then the borders got closed and she was in essence trapped there; I understand there were some instances of Russia getting flights for their citizens out of a country that had closed their borders but if a country has closed their borders I would imagine that there is some level of government deal making to get a chartered flight. So it's a risky bet to make that you won't get stuck somewhere from closed borders.

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada
The Korean ladies really are the big losers here...:mad: Unless things are softening between Korea and China they are screwed.

The Russian, Japanese and the US mini championships will be fun!

I expect Skate Canada will be between Kurakova and Miyahara, all that the Canadians can hope for is third.

Kihira will probably rule IDF but it's also nice to see the Italian girls there, I wonder how they have trained given that Italy had a complete lockdown. Paganini, Kiibus and the Finnish girls make IDF exciting too.

I am sooo hoping that one of the Rukavicin girls gets a spot at Rostelecom (Gubanova, Talalaykina, Nugumanova) and Ksenia Sinitsyna!!!
But it will probably go to Konstantinova and someone else...(and as Gubanova was robbed of her rightful GP spot last season, can she please get it now!?!)
Fingers crossed they are going to add Talalaykina, I loved her program. If Sinitzina is not injured, she would be a great addition as well... we’ll see

Colonel Green

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Apparently the ISU did not notify skaters about their GP assignments nor consult them. Kao Miura voiced his confusion on instagram about being assigned to NHK, apparently he did not know about it.
Other skaters did know (Joseph Phan discussed his a few days ago), so it may be a difference in host federation approaches.

TeamGubanova

On the Ice
Host Spots

Skate America:
Pairs: Kate Finster / Balazs Nagy (USA), Winter Deardorff / Mikhail Johnson (USA), Anastasia Smirnova / Danil Sianitsya (USA)
Ice Dance: Yura Min / Daniel Eaton (KOR), Bailey Melton / Ryan O'Donnell (USA), Maxine Weatherby / Termilan Yerzhanov (KAZ)

Cup of China:
Men: Lufeng Li (CHN), Chih-I Tsao (TPE)
Ladies: Xiangning Li (CHN), Zhang Yixuan (CHN), Kang Shuhui (CHN), Cheuk Ka Khalen Cheung (HKG), Shi Jiaxin (CHN)
Ice Dance: Ren Junfei / Alexei Karpushov (CHN), Shi Shang / Wu Nan (CHN)

Internationaux de France:
Ladies: Alizee Crozet (FRA), Julie Froechster (FRA)
Ice Dance: Natacha Lagouge / Arnaud Caffa (FRA)

Rostelecom Cup:
Men: Artem Kovalev (RUS), Anton Shulepov (RUS), Egor Murashov (RUS
Ladies: Anastasia Gubanova (RUS), Ksenia Tsibinova (RUS), Valeria Shulskaya (RUS), Maria Talalaykina (RUS)
Pairs: Yasmina Kadyrova / Ivan Balchenko (RUS), Anastasia Balabanova / Alexei Svyatchenko (RUS)

NHK Trophy:
Ladies: Rin Nitaya (JPN), Rika Hongo (JPN)

Lunalovesskating

Moonbear power 🐻
Record Breaker
In the announcement they are also saying that skaters won't even get Seasons best scores at the GP since there won't be international judges at some competitions, whereas skaters can get SBs at Challenger competitions this season. So there is no point for skaters to attend the GP. No SB, no World standing points. And only European skaters can basically attend Challengers this season to earn SB scores... will there still be prize money this GP season? Would be the only thing that speaks for attending a GP at this point..

readernick

Medalist
In the announcement they are also saying that skaters won't even get Seasons best scores at the GP since there won't be international judges at some competitions, whereas skaters can get SBs at Challenger competitions this season. So there is no point for skaters to attend the GP. No SB, no World standing points. And only European skaters can basically attend Challengers this season to earn SB scores... will there still be prize money this GP season? Would be the only thing that speaks for attending a GP at this point..
Yes, there is still prize money. However, only competitions with full fields will receive prize money similar to regular GPs. At this point, COC definitely doesn’t have enough competitors in most disciplines so there is even less incentive for the Korean ladies to attempt the journey.

Skatesocs

Final Flight
Uh. So not only is Cha not in Canada (despite the competition being in less than 4 weeks, and him having to quarantine for two of them), Kurakova is not there either. And Tarasova/Morozov being assigned to Skate America even though the last we heard he had COVID... Does the ISU know that Gmail exists? And is free, since that's probably a more pressing issue?

Host Spots

Skate America:
Pairs: Kate Finster / Balazs Nagy (USA), Winter Deardorff / Mikhail Johnson (USA), Anastasia Smirnova / Danil Sianitsya (USA)
Ice Dance: Yura Min / Daniel Eaton (KOR), Bailey Melton / Ryan O'Donnell (USA), Maxine Weatherby / Termilan Yerzhanov (KAZ)

Cup of China:
Men: Lufeng Li (CHN), Chih-I Tsao (TPE)
Ladies: Xiangning Li (CHN), Zhang Yixuan (CHN), Kang Shuhui (CHN), Cheuk Ka Khalen Cheung (HKG), Shi Jiaxin (CHN)
Ice Dance: Ren Junfei / Alexei Karpushov (CHN), Shi Shang / Wu Nan (CHN)

Internationaux de France:
Ladies: Alizee Crozet (FRA), Julie Froechster (FRA)
Ice Dance: Natacha Lagouge / Arnaud Caffa (FRA)

Rostelecom Cup:
Men: Artem Kovalev (RUS), Anton Shulepov (RUS), Egor Murashov (RUS
Ladies: Anastasia Gubanova (RUS), Ksenia Tsibinova (RUS), Valeria Shulskaya (RUS), Maria Talalaykina (RUS)
Pairs: Yasmina Kadyrova / Ivan Balchenko (RUS), Anastasia Balabanova / Alexei Svyatchenko (RUS)

NHK Trophy:
Ladies: Rin Nitaya (JPN), Rika Hongo (JPN)
Where did you get this from?

Last edited:

RemyRose

YOLO
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
And Tarasova/Morozov being assigned to Skate America even though the last we heard he had COVID...

They will not be there, it was announced yesterday. He doesn't have enough time to recover. They will stay in Russia.

Skatesocs

Final Flight
They will not be there, it was announced yesterday. He doesn't have enough time to recover. They will stay in Russia.
I'm happy to hear that, and I hope he recovers without any issues, but why were they even assigned? They sure took a long time to even make these announcements, so surely they could have communicated with him and figured it wasn't going to happen...?

RemyRose

YOLO
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I'm happy to hear that, and I hope he recovers without any issues, but why were they even assigned? They sure took a long time to even make these announcements, so surely they could have communicated with him and figured it wasn't going to happen...?

Trankov only announced it yesterday, prior to that they were planning to go. It was a last minute change.