2020-21 U.S. Men's Figure Skating

Bookseller

Final Flight
Country
United-States
(cross-posting from the retirement thread)

Sean Rabbitt has announced his retirement from competitive figure skating::cry:
https://www.instagram.com/p/CHjAKGRrKYc/

an engaging, energetic skater and performer who gave it his all every time he was on ice. I will miss him.

best of luck to Sean in the future:clap:
Me too! He's a nice guy and a good skater. But it's time for him to concentrate on his post competitive career.

el henry

Fangirl of men’s spirals and split jumps
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I love this interview with Sean Rabbitt almost as much as I love Sean. Very honest look at the sport in general and at his own career:

Some highlights:

"I don’t like the stigma of age in our sport. If there is one thing I have done as a skater, it is accomplish everything in my later years, my back half of my 20’s. .... I think the stigma of age is killing our sport, and throwing aside so many skaters that could be!"
:clap:

"I hope that people will know me as the skater that skated for the real reasons; not for points or trophies, but for sheer enjoyment, because I never forgot what it feels like to love what I do. I want people to remember me as a skater who could light up a crowd (and still plan to do so) and embraced every experience as an opportunity to learn and shine"

One sad part: He didn't like the Tequila program and that's why he ditched it. :drama: I adored that program, and I'm so glad I got to see it live. :)

Jeanie19

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I love this interview with Sean Rabbitt almost as much as I love Sean. Very honest look at the sport in general and at his own career:

Some highlights:

"I don’t like the stigma of age in our sport. If there is one thing I have done as a skater, it is accomplish everything in my later years, my back half of my 20’s. .... I think the stigma of age is killing our sport, and throwing aside so many skaters that could be!"

"I hope that people will know me as the skater that skated for the real reasons; not for points or trophies, but for sheer enjoyment, because I never forgot what it feels like to love what I do. I want people to remember me as a skater who could light up a crowd (and still plan to do so) and embraced every experience as an opportunity to learn and shine"

One sad part: He didn't like the Tequila program and that's why he ditched it. :drama: I adored that program, and I'm so glad I got to see it live. :)
He will definitely be remembered as a skater who lit up the crowd.

ladyjane

Medalist
Country
Netherlands

Some highlights:

A great interview with a great person. I always enjoy it when skaters just love what they do.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Andrew Torgashev Reinvests in Himself, Training During 2020-21 Season (Nov 19)

Much gratitude and respect to Sean Rabbitt -- who is a wonderful ambassador for skating.
A serendipitous conversation that I had with him played a large part in motivating me to make a habit of attending competitions instead of just following the sport from afar.

Last edited:

ladyjane

Medalist
Country
Netherlands
Andrew Torgashev Reinvests in Himself, Training During 2020-21 Season (Nov 19)

Much gratitude and respect to Sean Rabbitt -- who is a wonderful ambassador for skating.
A serendipitous conversation that I had with him played a large part in motivating me to make a habit of attending competitions instead of just following the sport from afar.
Hearing from Andrew is also very welcome. I always love watching him - even when there are mishaps - because he really has that difference.

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States

In looking back on the recent Las Vegas Invitational.... I bet Sean Rabbit would have been many times better than most of what we saw.

I was never his biggest fan, but he had a love for performance that would have been very welcome.

el henry

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
The article on Andrew T. reassures my fretful nature. Andrew knows what he is doing and has no intention of altering that wonderful artistry that makes him unique " I want to evolve on things, to do things differently and leave a resonating picture in the audience's memory after they've seen me skate.":clap:

And he mentions Roxanne, a program I still adore "I've always loved Spanish and Latin music and movements," Torgashev said, nostalgically reflecting on an old Tango De Roxanne program. "
But really? Nostalgia? Old? Nostalgia and old is Toller, not anything Andrew has done:laugh:

And Raf coaching in Russian reminds him of his parents, I called it:biggrin:

BlissfulSynergy

On the Ice
Country
Mars
It's nice hearing from Andrew Torgashev. I was wondering what was up with him when we didn't see him competing in the ISP virtual competition. Working with Raf sounds like an excellent fit for Andrew. I love the personal expressiveness in his programs last season, and he was very good during the summer in the virtual Peggy Fleming Trophy competition.

I look forward to seeing Andrew's 2020-21 programs, which sound promising. He is a young man who is growing and evolving before our eyes. As with so many of Raf's skaters, he helps stoke their confidence and he challenges them to take charge of their skating, which is apparently what Andrew has already been doing. So in that respect, Andrew seems prepared to further raise his level and craft a unique expressiveness on the ice. Andrew is already a budding artist off-the-ice. He has shared some of his paintings on his Instagram.

Dogo

Rinkside
There is a clip in twitter of Nathan's SP on "Great Park Holiday Show". His posture, arms, skating skills, and even performance quality have improved like A LOT. Besides the step out on the 3A, the whole clip is kinda mesmerizing to watch. Really looking forward to watch him at Nationals.

Last edited:

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
There is a clip in twitter of Nathan's SP on "Great Park Holiday Show". His posture, arms, skating skills, and even performance quality have improved like A LOT. Besides the step out on the 3A, the whole clip is kinda mesmerizing to watch. Really looking forward to watch him at Nationals.
This iteration featured a 4Z and 3F-3T in the second half. The combo didn't look like he missed the 4F, it looked planned. But I bet he's looking at changing that later.

This is becoming one of my favorite Nathan SP, which is good, because I'm not feeling the long. I want to like it, honestly. I'm just not into it.

Dogo

Rinkside
This iteration featured a 4Z and 3F-3T in the second half. The combo didn't look like he missed the 4F, it looked planned. But I bet he's looking at changing that later.

This is becoming one of my favorite Nathan SP, which is good, because I'm not feeling the long. I want to like it, honestly. I'm just not into it.
Completely agree. In the clip, it looks like he was trying to deliberately rotate less to make it a triple combo. I actually enjoy the long program choice of music. However, I do think that half of the time Nathan looks as if he is thinking too much about his dance movements or performance style (if that makes sense). So the whole thing feels a bit disconnected. Still, I think he was in the process of understanding that (rather ambiguous) lyrical piece and polishing the LP. He was even learning to play it in piano (IG story). Given the pandemic and all, I'll give him some credit because he always delivers something rather captivating in the end.

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Completely agree. In the clip, it looks like he was trying to deliberately rotate less to make it a triple combo. I actually enjoy the long program choice of music. However, I do think that half of the time Nathan looks as if he is thinking too much about his dance movements or performance style (if that makes sense). So the whole thing feels a bit disconnected. Still, I think he was in the process of understanding that (rather ambiguous) lyrical piece and polishing the LP. He was even learning to play it in piano (IG story). Given the pandemic and all, I'll give him some credit because he always delivers something rather captivating in the end.
It's all a matter of preference, I know, but I think I've enjoyed his SPs the past three seasons more than the LPs. I admire him for stretching his musical vocabulary, but I feel like the piano music just isn't dramatic enough for my tastes. I need a little more umph.

Of course, this is all nit-picking. I've not seen anything this season that can touch him... maybe Kolyada's LP if skated perfectly... as a program, I prefer that one. Provided the competitions take place, I completely expect Nathan to win Nationals and Worlds in a romp.

Noxchild

Medalist
Country
Canada
Not gonna lie, I am surprised and tickled to think he might return to FS after his schooling at all 😯 Not going to pretend this is even close to the worst of what COVID's done this year, but it did definitely derail Nathan's potentially epic fairy tale conclusion to his FS career (not to mention everyone else)... 😓 whatever happens next, I hope FS will stay a big part of his life, especially since as a prospective doctor in the US he has a lot of hard work ahead of him 😭😭😭

el henry

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Team USA article on Jason Brown training in Toronto for US Nats

Of course comments from Jason, but also from Rohene, including this one:

“There are some people who love jumping, love doing quads — I was like that,” Ward said. “For Jason, he would rather perform and sell and do what he does really, really well. He can do quads, and he is working on them, but his type of skating is a feeling. It’s storytelling. I think it requires way more physicality and mental (ability), than the other way.”

Interesting to me for what Rohene says about himself loving jumps, as well as what he says about Jason. I tend to think of Rohene's artistry, because of his choreo, but he was one of the most athletically gifted skaters to take the ice. Sadly, he was never able to showcase those gifts in competition.:(

And what Rohene, an athletic jumper, says about the ability required to do what Jason does(y)

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Team USA article on Jason Brown training in Toronto for US Nats

Of course comments from Jason, but also from Rohene, including this one:

“There are some people who love jumping, love doing quads — I was like that,” Ward said. “For Jason, he would rather perform and sell and do what he does really, really well. He can do quads, and he is working on them, but his type of skating is a feeling. It’s storytelling. I think it requires way more physicality and mental (ability), than the other way.”

Interesting to me for what Rohene says about himself loving jumps, as well as what he says about Jason. I tend to think of Rohene's artistry, because of his choreo, but he was one of the most athletically gifted skaters to take the ice. Sadly, he was never able to showcase those gifts in competition.:(

And what Rohene, an athletic jumper, says about the ability required to do what Jason does(y)

Not a single thing he's said is untrue.

It's also not surprising that he's extolling the artistic virtues of a skater he works with, one who is likely to get clobbered in planned base value.

It's been an uncertain year, and who knows how Nationals is going to play out. Things are less settled than they've ever been.

I'm ready to find out who can deliver.

el henry

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Not a single thing he's said is untrue.

It's also not surprising that he's extolling the artistic virtues of a skater he works with, one who is likely to get clobbered in planned base value.

It's been an uncertain year, and who knows how Nationals is going to play out. Things are less settled than they've ever been.

I'm ready to find out who can deliver.

Oh, I agree that Rohene would of course support Jason, a skater he's worked with for what, at least ten years now?😲

But I didn't find the artistry comments interesting as related to artistry, but that Rohene supports my long-held contention that what is considered "artistic" in skating is just as athletic as jumpity jump. And since he agrees with me, Rohene is of course a genius:biggrin:

I was probably too obscure in my comments about Rohene himself. From what I understand, from people who saw him in person, he *slayed* in practice. Could jump quads standing still (and that was fifteen years ago). If he was still skating, he'd probably have six quads. :)

But Rohene had no head for competition. He left it on the practice ice and couldn't bring it to comps. And that doesn't count. I believe in what a skater brings to the ice during a comp. Their planned BV is just that, planned. Until and unless they do it in a competition, particularly a high stakes one, 🤷‍♀️

If USFS can pull Nats off safely, it will be very interesting to watch indeed.