2020-21 U.S. Men's Figure Skating | Page 30 | Golden Skate

2020-21 U.S. Men's Figure Skating

Dawn825

Medalist
I dont have strong opinions about Vincent or Yaroslav but id rather see Vincent go to the Olympics. Putting aside wtvr ppl say about his personality or opinions, since I dont pretend to know anything about any of these people from seeing them on tv for about an hour on year. But Vincent is the only other world medalist besides Nathan the us men have had in a long time. He was a rlly strong contender for another one this year before that short, being able to do several different quads. I think Vincent has earned it, being one of the top 3 us men since the last Olympics. Yaroslav, to the best of my knowledge, was on almost no one's radar before nationals, and hasent been seen since till this week. If he shows up in a few months (is he on the gp?) looking amazing, I might change my mind, but right now I see him as someone who will hopefully be a strong competitor in a few years time - not in 6 months.

Amei

Record Breaker
I dont have strong opinions about Vincent or Yaroslav but id rather see Vincent go to the Olympics. Putting aside wtvr ppl say about his personality or opinions, since I dont pretend to know anything about any of these people from seeing them on tv for about an hour on year. But Vincent is the only other world medalist besides Nathan the us men have had in a long time. He was a rlly strong contender for another one this year before that short, being able to do several different quads. I think Vincent has earned it, being one of the top 3 us men since the last Olympics. Yaroslav, to the best of my knowledge, was on almost no one's radar before nationals, and hasent been seen since till this week. If he shows up in a few months (is he on the gp?) looking amazing, I might change my mind, but right now I see him as someone who will hopefully be a strong competitor in a few years time - not in 6 months.

:laugh2:After Nationals it Worlds and WTT, Yaroslav wasn't eligible for Worlds, Worlds team is generally the WTT team and then it was the offseason - why exactly is this 'and hasn't been seen since till this week' even a point??? I know there have been other summer competitions, but its not like we see many top skaters go to a lot of summer competitions, most usually go to maybe 1-2 before their GP events to shake off the offseason competition rust.

But Yaroslav was just released this summer by the Ukrainian Fed, if I remember the transfer rules correctly, he wouldn't have been able to go to international events for the US until he was released by Ukraine. Yes, he kinda came out of the blue this past season, but that's not exactly his fault its just the way circumstances happened.

Gia_Sesshoumaru

On the Ice
Country
United-States
:laugh2:After Nationals it Worlds and WTT, Yaroslav wasn't eligible for Worlds, Worlds team is generally the WTT team and then it was the offseason - why exactly is this 'and hasn't been seen since till this week' even a point??? I know there have been other summer competitions, but its not like we see many top skaters go to a lot of summer competitions, most usually go to maybe 1-2 before their GP events to shake off the offseason competition rust.

But Yaroslav was just released this summer by the Ukrainian Fed, if I remember the transfer rules correctly, he wouldn't have been able to go to international events for the US until he was released by Ukraine. Yes, he kinda came out of the blue this past season, but that's not exactly his fault its just the way circumstances happened.

Correct - he had to wait three years after leaving Ukraine to skate for the US because that's Ukraine's rule for Olympians. His last international competition was the 2018 NHK Trophy. It sucks for him, but he was willing to do it. Only time will tell what he will do this season now that he is able to compete internationally for us.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Cranberry Cup entries are out

Vincent, Yaro, Camden, and Tomoki confirmed for US men (and Jimmy, but it's his home club) ...

I honestly do not know what your point is re Jimmy and "but it's his home club"???

SCOB happens to be the home club for Jimmy Ma and Max Naumov -- but even if it were not, it still would make perfect sense to me that each wants to compete at Cranberry Cup ... with the hope of strengthening his case for other international assignments (Skate America and Challengers).
After Jimmy competed at 2018 Philadelphia International and placed second, he was given the TBA slot for 2018 Skate America. (His home club at the time was Skating Club of New York.)

(I hope that you are not trying to suggest that Jimmy is not in the same league as Camden and Tomoki, and would not be worthy of a place in the Cranberry Cup field if SCOB were not his home club?
The order of placements at 2021 Nats: Yaro fourth; Max fifth :); Jimmy sixth :); Tomoki seventh; Camden eighth.)

Last edited:

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I honestly do not know what your point is re Jimmy and "but it's his home club"???

SCOB happens to be the home club for Jimmy Ma and Max Naumov -- but even if it were not, it still would make perfect sense to me that each wants to compete at Cranberry Cup ... with the hope of strengthening his case for other international assignments (Skate America and Challengers).
After Jimmy competed at 2018 Philadelphia International and placed second, he was given the TBA slot for 2018 Skate America. (His home club at the time was Skating Club of New York.)

(I hope that you are not trying to suggest that Jimmy is not in the same league as Camden and Tomoki, and would not be worthy of a place in the Cranberry Cup field if SCOB were not his home club?
The order of placements at 2021 Nats: Yaro fourth; Max fifth :); Jimmy sixth :); Tomoki seventh; Camden eighth.)

my point being that I would have expected Jimmy of all senior elites to be there because he doesn’t need to travel, and certainly not as far as those west of the Mississippi such as Tomoki or Camden or Yaro.

That is all. :)

snowflake

I enjoy what I like
Record Breaker

mrrice

Record Breaker
I still have hope for Vincent even though he had that disaster at Worlds. He's been on the US Podium 5 times and he deserves his chance at Redemption. However, I don't think he will be "Held Up" by the US Judges this year.

HB Spud

Rinkside
Country
United-States
Yaroslav “was on almost no one's radar before nationals, and hasent (sic) been seen”...because he has long been buried skating in a small federation (Ukraine) that plays favorites and did not support or develop him. Had he been in a strong system like he is now with the US for the last 5 years he might be a world medalist too.

Here is his first World Championship skate in 2015 at 16yo... a solid debut and you can see disappointment in his face at the low scores — which is not uncommon for a skater starting out in Seniors, and certainly more so when you don’t have a strong supportive federation behind you. Making the decision to change federations in 2018 set him back a full 3 years of international competition because Ukraine wouldn’t release him (think it just happened in June)...which is why to most he has been a virtual unknown before nationals.

Three years is a long break to wait it out but kudos to him for the perseverance and there seems to be some good things to come of it...Certainly sooner than “a few years time” but either way I am rooting for him :yahoo:

[EDIT - by reference to low scores in World Championship debut I meant PC’s, his tech scores have always been solid]

Last edited:

sheetz

Record Breaker
Ilia scored 64.30 in the SP at the Chesapeake Open. The video cuts out halfway thru his program but before that he does 4Lz(fall), 4T(fall).

Dawn825

Medalist
:laugh2:After Nationals it Worlds and WTT, Yaroslav wasn't eligible for Worlds, Worlds team is generally the WTT team and then it was the offseason - why exactly is this 'and hasn't been seen since till this week' even a point???
It wasnt a dig, he wasnt on the world team and that was the only competition since nationals. My point was that he's amassed a lot of fans based on one competition, which is fine, but one competition is a lot to base a chance at the olympic team on.

figureskatingandrainbows

As Kao Miura once said, スケートって難しい
Record Breaker
Country
Olympic
Ilia scored 166.70 (97.66 TES, 69.94 PCS) in the FS for a total competition score of 231. He cleanly landed 4T, 4S, and two 3As.
That TES score is incredibly high. He probably had a small boost being at a local competition, but a very similar technical score to that won Shun Sato the JGPF gold. I'm very excited to see where Ilia goes in juniors this season.

Amei

Record Breaker
Ilia scored 166.70 (97.66 TES, 69.94 PCS) in the FS for a total competition score of 231. He cleanly landed 4T, 4S, and two 3As.

They seriously had a men's competition for 1 skater? Gee, that was surprise at who won...

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
That TES score is incredibly high. He probably had a small boost being at a local competition, but a very similar technical score to that won Shun Sato the JGPF gold. I'm very excited to see where Ilia goes in juniors this season.

Ilia is certainly making his mark. Of course, so many of these summer opens have limited men entering, but the judges still score what they see.

I should also note that this is essentially a home comp for Ilia as he is based in DC and Chesapeake Open was held in Laurel, right off of I-95.

happycamper2554

On the Ice

I think he also missed a combo. so he can easily add to that score. Of course that is the risk of doing three back loaded combos.

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Ilia scored 64.30 in the SP at the Chesapeake Open. The video cuts out halfway thru his program but before that he does 4Lz(fall), 4T(fall).
Not one of his better days.

Both of those jumps looked good in the air. I was surprised he sat them down.

If I'm remembering correctly from the protocols, he had an invalidated spin, too.

On the plus side, he does look more mature in his movement. And his other spins were L4. I wish I could see them.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Does anyone have an update on Jason's quad(s)? I think he will make the US team. Winning a medal without a quad might very hard. Chen, Kolyada, Vincent, Messing, all three Japanese men, Cha, Boyang, and I probaby missed some could beat him..