gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States

2020 Budapest Trophy
Oct 15-17, 2020
Budapest, HUN
VASAS Ice Center

The 2020 Budapest Trophy is one of a series of events of the 2020-21 Figure Skating Challenger Series. The Challenger Series was established by the International Skating Union (ISU) during the 2014–15 season and the events consist of a group of senior-level events ranked below the ISU Grand Prix of Figure Skating. The series allows skaters to gain World Standing Points and is also a chance for officials to officiate at an international level, however, no World standing or ranking points will be awarded during the 2020-21 season due to COVID.

Last edited:

Harriet

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
I just noticed that this has been added to the Budapest Trophy calendar page: Hungarian COVID-19 rules. It indicates that sportspersons and officials participating in international events in Hungary are permitted to enter the country after meeting certain documentary and testing requirements, despite the current border closures.

TeamGubanova

On the Ice
When would the entries be announced? I am pretty sure it would have to be in a matter of days I suspect Sülyemanova and Dastich (GER) will be listed.

Gia_Sesshoumaru

On the Ice
Country
United-States
I found this section in the Announcement:

4.2 Preliminary Entries

The preliminary entries must reach the Organizer by latest: 28th August 2020 by entering the information through ORS.

So probably Monday or Tuesday then.

Country
Norway
Hm... they are really late with the entries list, i´m think that might be a bad sign. Let´s see if there will be any announcements this week.

I looked at the reported covid cases for Hungary it´s not really looking good. If you look at the the cases per 100 inhabitants it is really really high with the population they have and Germany was a lot less high risk.

You could look at Nebelhorn Trophy to see how well they managed to organize the event and had good measures. They are surely planning to take everything serious here, but with such numbers there is high-risk of even going into the country, and if it will be arranged I fear that there will be fewer skaters union who would allow the skaters to go. Maybe only the one which are close by and will travel with car.

Country
Norway
The entries list is out now! 17 in men in 25 in ladies field. Not bad! It look like it´s most skaters who come from the countries close by. From Finland there is Saarinen and Dr. Virtannen. But they are training with Mr. Hut in Oberstorf so I guess that is why. This time there are no one listed from Sweden, Norway or Denmark.

Harriet

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Oh nice, Noemie gets a do-over after having to withdraw injured from Nebelhorn! :hap10: I'm glad for her.

That's a nice entry list though. Ivett, Jenni and Nicole, Lara Naki Gutmann, Loena Hendrickx, Conor Stakelum and Samuel McAllister, Doc Valtter of course, and Janse van Rensburg/Steffen get an outing after withdrawing from Nebelhorn too. I really hope I can stay awake into the wee hours to watch these, but we'll be into Daylight Saving by then here so all bets are off... :shrug:

Fingers crossed that it goes ahead, of course.

elektra blue

mother of skaters
Record Breaker
Country
Italy
oh mio Dior!!! my baby boy!!!!! :jump: my baby girl! (nothing can stop Eva Lotta, if there's a competition be sure she will be there :LOL:):jump:my other baby girl Lara :jump:the cactus queen Ivett! will Zandron surprise us again? did Lara deal with her massive growth spurt? will Eva Lotta medal again? how many heart attacks will i get?

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
It will be great to see Sam and Conor back in action. Although, I can't imagine they have had much practice due to the restrictions on ice rinks being in place for so long in the UK.

And I see that we have a couple of girls representing Cyprus who have come up through the American system. Makes a change from getting skaters who came up through the Russian system, I suppose.

I don't know for sure but, just going by the names, I think these girls are actually from Cypriot families.

CaroLiza_fan

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Just so that you know, I have just put up a post in the Team Cyprus Fan Fest that contains basic stripped down Fan Fest posts about Marilena Kitromilis and Emilea Zingas (i.e. Bio links and links to videos). They are within this post:

https://www.goldenskate.com/forum/threads/team-cyprus.56054/post-2640273

The full versions at the start of the thread will appear once I get my head around how to do tables on XenForo.

I don't know for sure but, just going by the names, I think these girls are actually from Cypriot families.

Just to answer my own question, Marilena says in the introduction to her Instagram profile that she is a "Proud Cypriot😊".

And as for Emilea, well here is a photo taken 2 years ago of her in Cyprus:

Emilea looking down on Kourion Beach from the Kourion Theatre

I should add, there were no captions or anything on the photo. I simply recognised the view, because I have stood in that precise spot myself! ;) :biggrin:

CaroLiza_fan

Last edited:

surimi

Congrats to Sota, #10 in World Standings!
Record Breaker
Shoutout to two veteran ladies competing here, Roberta Rodeghiero who is 30, and Dasa Grm who is 29,5. :clap: It's fantastic that they love skating so much they keep competing!

Harriet

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Shoutout to two veteran ladies competing here, Roberta Rodeghiero who is 30, and Dasa Grm who is 29,5. :clap: It's fantastic that they love skating so much they keep competing!
Sadly, both Roberta Rodherigo and Lara Naki Gutmann for Italy are now off the entry list, along with Olga Mikutina (AUT), Lea Johanna Dastich (GER) and Nathalie Weintzerl (GER), Conor Stakelum (IRL) in Men and Janse Van Rensburg/Steffan (GER) in Dance.

It's a shame - so many skaters I like, especially the Italian ladies. But their health and safety come first.

ETA: And in the gap between my posting this and going back to double-check a detail, Elzbieta Kropa (LTU) has also withdrawn.

Last edited:

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Sadly, both Roberta Rodherigo and Lara Naki Gutmann for Italy are now off the entry list, along with Olga Mikutina (AUT), Lea Johanna Dastich (GER) and Nathalie Weintzerl (GER), Conor Stakelum (IRL) in Men and Janse Van Rensburg/Steffan (GER) in Dance.

It's a shame - so many skaters I like, especially the Italian ladies. But their health and safety come first.

ETA: And in the gap between my posting this and going back to double-check a detail, Elzbieta Kropa (LTU) has also withdrawn.

If I am totally honest, I was surprised that Conor was on the entry list to start with, given that the Southern Irish government have been actively discouraging people from travelling to and from the island, advising against all but essential travel and having 14 day quarantines for people that arrive on the island. Admittedly, they did bring in a "green list" of countries that you can travel from without having to quarantine when you arrive on the island, but that was only because the EU did not approve of the "no travel" stance that was being taken. But, having started at 15 countries (which included Hungary), that list is now down to 4 countries (Cyprus, Finland, Latvia, and Liechtenstein).

Hungary was removed from the green list for the UK on 12[SUP]th[/SUP] September, and removed from the green list for Southern Ireland on 21[SUP]st[/SUP] September.

Conor is from Southern Ireland, and trains in Scotland. Sam McAllister is from Northern Ireland, and lives and trains in England. So, although they are operating under different rules, they would both have to quarantine when they return back to whichever part of the British Isles they are returning to.

What I am trying to say is - don't be surprised if Sam also withdraws. Or Sasha & George (Germany is still on the UK's green list, so they could travel home from the Nebelhorn without having to quarantine).

CaroLiza_fan

Harriet

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
While Stefanie Pensendorfer (AUT) is still on the ISU list, she's no longer on the PDF list dated 1 October on the Hungarian Federation's website, so we're down to 18 in Ladies.

ETA: Nicole Schott (GER) and Noemie Bodenstein (SUI) are off the list in Ladies along with Pensendorfer, and Alina and Viktoriia Iuschenkova (ISR) have been added. Lukas Britschgi (SUI) is off the list in Men and Luft/Pfisterer (GER) in Ice Dance. I wouldn't be surprised if the remaining members of #TeamICEDome (Virtanen and Saarinen) withdraw soon too.

Last edited:
Country
Norway
While Stefanie Pensendorfer (AUT) is still on the ISU list, she's no longer on the PDF list dated 1 October on the Hungarian Federation's website, so we're down to 18 in Ladies.

ETA: Nicole Schott (GER) and Noemie Bodenstein (SUI) are off the list in Ladies along with Pensendorfer, and Alina and Viktoriia Iuschenkova (ISR) have been added. Lukas Britschgi (SUI) is off the list in Men and Luft/Pfisterer (GER) in Ice Dance. I wouldn't be surprised if the remaining members of #TeamICEDome (Virtanen and Saarinen) withdraw soon too.

Oh :( I was afraid there will be more WD due to how the Covid is spreading now. It seems like the whole team decided to WD here, and not the skaters themselves. It may seems like the team have made a common decision not to take the risk?

I was also wondering if maybe teams/skating unions have made a set of rules of how to decide whether to attend international comps during the pandemic? I´m sure they would have some guidelines. I would think they would try to follow the travel advices that the government has set for the respective country?