2020 Budapest Trophy: General Info | Page 2 | Golden Skate

2020 Budapest Trophy: General Info

Harriet

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Oh :( I was afraid there will be more WD due to how the Covid is spreading now. It seems like the whole team decided to WD here, and not the skaters themselves. It may seems like the team have made a common decision not to take the risk?

I was also wondering if maybe teams/skating unions have made a set of rules of how to decide whether to attend international comps during the pandemic? I´m sure they would have some guidelines. I would think they would try to follow the travel advices that the government has set for the respective country?
I suspect some federations at least do have guidelines - all of the Swiss skaters went out at the same time, and so did the Italians - but others are leaving it up to the skaters. All the German ladies are out now, but they still have an ice dance team listed.

plushyfan

Record Breaker
Country
Hungary
I'm in trouble...Which one should I choose? Should I go to the competition in Budapest or watch the Russian Cup's second stage live online? 😪 This is a great dilemma..

Jeanie19

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I'm in trouble...Which one should I choose? Should I go to the competition in Budapest or watch the Russian Cup's second stage live online? 😪 This is a great dilemma..
I think you should go to Budapest and watch it live. We don't know how many in person events there will be this year.

CrazyKittenLady

Get well soon, Lyosha!
Record Breaker
Country
Austria
Definitely go and watch it live, there will surely be some brilliant skating there. You can watch the CoR later anyways, the videos will be up on Youtube.

plushyfan

Record Breaker
Country
Hungary
i don't know, if you feel it's safe for you to travel and attend a public event then go, otherwise stay with us and comment online :D

I'm sure won't be too many people in the hall. This is figure skating competition. And the travel is not not too burdensome :giggle: we have flat there.

Country
Norway
Isn´t Russian Cup stage 2 starting already on Saturday? I have noted in my calendar that the ladies SP will start on 10th of October. So you can do both??

Edit: It looks like the last day of Russian cup stage 2, meaning the junior skaters, will be at the same day as the first day of Budapest Trophy. So you probably miss parts/most of the FS, but i´m sure it will be possible to see videos afterwards. So it looks like it will be possible for you to see most of the Russian Cup live online, and still manage to go to Budapest Trophy and see the event live!

Last edited:
Country
Norway
Seems there are new WD today again. Ladies are down to 16 skaters now and men 14! But i´m not sure who! Saarinen and Virtanen is still listed. Loena is still on, phew! Dasa is stilll...

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
It's the Iuschenkova sisters from Israel. Sam McAllister from Ireland is out too, just as CaroLizaFan predicted.

Ooops. I didn't intend to be the predicter of bad news. Especially when it concerns my fellow Ulsterman.

But, being realistic, what skater is going to want to do a competition if they are going to have to stay at home self-isolating for 2 weeks afterwards? Yes, getting competition practice is good, especially in a stop-start season like this. But not if it means that you will not be able to do normal training for a prolonged period afterwards.

Still looking forward to the competition. I have been working on Fan Fest posts for these new Cypriot girls, and I am totally intrigued by them. Zingas has had a lot of success in America, even being the runner up at Novice Nationals in 2018. And Kitromilis has had a very rapid journey to what is due to be her Senior debut in Budapest. She competed at Intermediate level until the season before last; moved to Novice level last season; and has now skipped Juniors to go straight to Seniors!

CaroLiza_fan

Harriet

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Ooops. I didn't intend to be the predicter of bad news. Especially when it concerns my fellow Ulsterman.

But, being realistic, what skater is going to want to do a competition if they are going to have to stay at home self-isolating for 2 weeks afterwards? Yes, getting competition practice is good, especially in a stop-start season like this. But not if it means that you will not be able to do normal training for a prolonged period afterwards.
Somebody sent him a get well soon message via Instagram story, so I suspect it's an injury or illness preventing him from competing rather than the two weeks of self-isolation needed on returning home. :( Hope he'll be okay.

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Somebody sent him a get well soon message via Instagram story, so I suspect it's an injury or illness preventing him from competing rather than the two weeks of self-isolation needed on returning home. :( Hope he'll be okay.

Just checked Sam's Instagram, and found out what happened. He was in a car crash. He's put up an explanation of what happened, along with some photos:

Looks pretty nasty. Thank goodness he is OK. He was a very lucky boy.

Rest up Sam. There'll be other competitions in the future.

CaroLiza_fan

MaHa75

On the Ice

Still looking forward to the competition. I have been working on Fan Fest posts for these new Cypriot girls, and I am totally intrigued by them. Zingas has had a lot of success in America, even being the runner up at Novice Nationals in 2018. And Kitromilis has had a very rapid journey to what is due to be her Senior debut in Budapest. She competed at Intermediate level until the season before last; moved to Novice level last season; and has now skipped Juniors to go straight to Seniors!

CaroLiza_fan
There are different rules around the world...i know that estonian athletes do not need to be in 2 weeks quarantine after trip aboard
Only 1 day, until they get test result. After first neg test they aloud to go training. After few days they give second test and after this they can go to school and everywhere.

Harriet

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Just checked Sam's Instagram, and found out what happened. He was in a car crash. He's put up an explanation of what happened, along with some photos:
Goodness me, he is very lucky indeed. Wishing him a quick and complete recovery!

ETA: Jenni Saarinen (FIN), Valtter Virtanen (FIN) and Mikhail Selevko (EST) have withdrawn now. No changes in Ice Dance.

Last edited:

lambielfan

Rinkside
Hello everyone!

I'm Nora, I'm working for the Hungarian Federation as a media manager and wanted to say we are looking forward to welcoming you all who can come to Budapest to watch the competition live. :) Honestly it's not easy to organize an event in the current situation but we are trying to do our best and hope all of you will enjoy it either at the scene or following the competition online.

We have a Facebook event with some important info in the description for those who wanna come: https://www.facebook.com/events/330...anism":"search_results","surface":"search"}]}
The most important part:
On Wednesday practice day and on the practices from Thursday to Saturday public is not allowed.
In accordance with the Covid rules besides the participants we will let in maximum 300 spectators. They must be free of fever and stay exclusively on the stand wearing masks.

Maybe some of you already noticed that yesterday we updated our event page with a link to the microsite of the event, here it is: http://hunskate.hu/budapesttrophy.html
We still have to upload some documents during the weekend but you can already find some useful links on it. :)

Looking forward to meeting some of you next week in the rink. :love2:

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland

There are Junior competitions too!!!

So, despite Conor and Sam withdrawing, there is still an Irish contingent going: Elizabeth Golding and Sophia Tkacheva. Really looking forward to seeing them up against each other. I've never actually seen Sophia skating before, but I have been hearing good things about her for quite a few years. So, it'll be good to finally see what she is actually like.

In case anybody is wondering, Elizabeth was born in Moscow to a Russian mother and an Irish father; while Sophia was born in Dublin to a Belorussian mother and a Russian father.

Apart from the Irish girls, I have to admit that the only other name from the Junior competitions that I recognise is Jogailė Aglinskytė (Ladies skater for Lithuania). So, it will be a journey of discovery for me. :)

CaroLiza_fan