2020 Skate Canada International Cancelled | Page 2 | Golden Skate

2020 Skate Canada International Cancelled

zanadude

Medalist
Country
Japan
This whole season is a big mistake. If you must do this, then do like the NHL did, and isolate skaters in a safe location with adequate facilities (Japan?) and have all the events in one location with limited fan access.

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
I think a major factor would be traveling from Toronto and Montreal to another hotspot, Ottawa (which apparently has a higher positive covid test rate per capita than Toronto 70/57 per 100,000 people).

As I tried to say before there is a lot of conflicting info here on what will be closed and what will stay open if we continue to see more cases and, more importantly, hospitalizations and deaths. Ottawa was just moved into the red zone as far as hospital bed availability.

All in all I think it's a good decision. I love to watch skating but I'm not sure it is worth the risk at this point. The U.S.A. will do what it does (it's a bit baffling what you guys are doing to most Canadians I think) but I wouldn't be surprised if France follows suit. Russia seems to be going on it's own route. The Japanese seem to have it under control (thanks, in part I'm sure, to a lack of politicization of the mask issue). I don't really know enough about what the Chinese are doing so I won't comment there. So I would expect the USA, Russia, Chinese and Japanese GP to happen. I'm 50/50 on France.
Is France moving into curfew mode?
I have given up on US nightly news and watch BBC America. Still biased but at least you get to see that the rest of the world really matters.
They showed a street party in Liverpool with lots of young people "dancing" (jumping up and down) cheeks to cheeks and drinking. Somehow, its comforting to know that in the US, where a judge just overturned a mask law, that there there are other people around the world just as thoughtless of others as many Americans are.
The Russian 2020 Test skates was interesting. Many did not wear masks and many who did wore them improperly. Does anyone know how many have been vaccinated in Russia with their vaccine?
My hat is off to the Japanese. They have done an amazing job. There are so many great things about their culture. Respect for themselves, for others, for family, for authority. And they have Rika and Kaori ;)

Attachments

• a japan.jpg
    a japan.jpg
    88.4 KB · Views: 49

Sabine

On the Ice
Tennis has hardly proven itself a responsible sport thus far (karma for Djokovic to lose and I hope he keeps losing).

I think the worst part is that Skate Canada might end up being the only ones to actually cancel when other events SHOULD be but won't be because political grandstanding is more important than lives. Looking at cases, Skate America, IdF and Rostelecom should all also be cancelled.

But this is also reinforcing my view that these events should not be called Grands Prix.
We have seen that Nebelhorn Trophy has worked well. A Grand Prix has less athletes than this CS competition. So with a hygiene concept figure skating competitions can take place. Very sad for the athletes, who need real competitions.

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
Sad news, but not surprising... Especially would have loved to watch the skating of Cha, Sadovsky and Nguyen from this event.

kan01

Final Flight
Country
Romania
We have seen that Nebelhorn Trophy has worked well. A Grand Prix has less athletes than this CS competition. So with a hygiene concept figure skating competitions can take place. Very sad for the athletes, who need real competitions.
Your logic is on point. Sad thing is some so called figure skating fans are more fans of cancellations than figure skating. They say they care about the skaters, but are only projecting their own fears onto others and can't stop saying how good it is to cancel events (like a broken record since this all started) until magically "the disease" will go away. I guess it's just black and white for some, no gray.

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland

Yes, strict protocols can be put in place at sporting events. But, what about when the people that were at the event leave? There is nothing to stop them going out on the town afterwards. That is what happened after the motorbike race held in my hometown. And I have already mentioned the consequences.

Admittedly, having "behind closed doors" events means that there are a lot less people there than if there were spectators allowed. But, there would still need to be a good number of people on site to enable the event to happen.

Our First Minister (the head of government in NI) made a good point yesterday, when she was talking about the schools being open. She said that the measures put in place at schools meant that the virus was not being spread within schools. However, it was being spread when pupils and staff were travelling to and from school.

In theory, the same thing could happen to people travelling between the hotel and the rink.

Your logic is on point. Sad thing is some so called figure skating fans are more fans of cancellations than figure skating. They say they care about the skaters, but are only projecting their own fears onto others and can't stop saying how good it is to cancel events (like a broken record since this all started) until magically "the disease" will go away. I guess it's just black and white for some, no gray.

And then there are some so called figure skating fans who don't care about putting the skaters, their teams, the judges, the venue staff, etc. at risk of catching the virus, and taking it home to pass onto their families and friends. Just so that we can be entertained.

I want to see everything to go back to normal as much as the next person, and be able to watch my favourite sports. But not until it is completely safe for the people involved in the events to do so. If that is not until next season, then so be it. I would rather miss out and have everybody keep as safe as they possibly can, than for events to carry on and the people involved be put at risk.

There are bigger things than our love of a sport.

CaroLiza_fan

Skatesocs

Final Flight
And then there are some so called figure skating fans who don't care about putting the skaters, their teams, the judges, the venue staff, etc. at risk of catching the virus, and taking it home to pass onto their families and friends. Just so that we can be entertained.

I want to see everything to go back to normal as much as the next person, and be able to watch my favourite sports. But not until it is completely safe for the people involved in the events to do so. If that is not until next season, then so be it. I would rather miss out and have everybody keep as safe as they possibly can, than for events to carry on and the people involved be put at risk.

CaroLiza_fan
Go raibh maith agat, CaroLiza_fan. :pray:

nussnacker

one and only
Record Breaker
Yes, strict protocols can be put in place at sporting events. But, what about when the people that were at the event leave? There is nothing to stop them going out on the town afterwards. That is what happened after the motorbike race held in my hometown. And I have already mentioned the consequences.

Admittedly, having "behind closed doors" events means that there are a lot less people there than if there were spectators allowed. But, there would still need to be a good number of people on site to enable the event to happen.

Our First Minister (the head of government in NI) made a good point yesterday, when she was talking about the schools being open. She said that the measures put in place at schools meant that the virus was not being spread within schools. However, it was being spread when pupils and staff were travelling to and from school.

In theory, the same thing could happen to people travelling between the hotel and the rink.

CaroLiza_fan
Truth!

ancientpeas

The Notorious SEW
Record Breaker
As I said before I do not think it is about the actual event (which probably could be run safely with no fans and such) but rather the travel. Most of these skaters will be coming from Toronto and Montreal which are both hotbeds into yet another hotbed, Ottawa. They don't just show up and skate. They take planes, they stay in Hotels, they eat out and they need to train. I'm not even sure if they would need to quarantine or not which would mean they'd have to come to Ottawa and stay for 2 weeks so that they could do anything outside of where they are staying.

Please do not infer that skating fans who are concerned about the health of the skaters are somehow Chicken Littles running around screaming about how the sky is falling. We, in Canada, are trying to take this seriously and we have already had to shut down once and then endured a partial shut down which had huge effects on people, their livelihoods and their mental health. We are trying to keep the schools and businesses open so that people's lives are minimally impacted. If skating is effected by that then it is too bad. Skate Canada should have considered moving this event out of Ontario or Quebec but now we are seeing rising cases out west and even in the Maritimes.

It is different here than in many places. It is starting to get cold. It is not unusual for us to have snow on the ground (that stays until spring) by the middle of November. The more people come inside the more covid is in the air and the more it will spread. We only have a certain number of hospital beds and if we exceed that by too much the pain and suffering will be magnified. Unless you live here knowing why this is probably necessary might be hard to understand but no one is here (at Golden Skate or Ottawa) want to see things cancelled. It is a fact of life at this point.

We are being asked to understand the closing of gyms, cinemas, and eat in restaurant dining so that we can keep the schools and most businesses open but if our numbers keep getting worse they will have to close schools and malls throwing thousands of people out of work. It is hard to justify running a skating event in the face of also telling people that if we don't flatten the curve again we are looking at another lock down.

kan01

Final Flight
Country
Romania
It's not about entertainment because, for example, skaters get injured all the time and no one would want to see them skate injured only for entertainment. It's about the fact that skaters work for this since they are toddlers and it's not fair to see how people are glad that the events they Willingly want to participate in, and are excited for, are gone. Figure skating is a dangerous sport and precautions are taken, be it with injury, or this p******c, or whatever trouble or danger.
My mom is almost 70 years old, and even though her job is not totally essential to her, she still goes to work every day with her mask and her sanitizer and all. I would love to protect her from all disease, but it's her choice not to isolate herself and doing what she desires, she's an adult. Same with the skaters, they want to compete, and if it's possible with no audience, and masks, and distancing, why not? That's why you have safety protocols. If you think they're not enough, it's your opinion. Again, I want what the skaters want, and I know they still want to compete this season. Budapest Trophy is happening as we speak. Seeing people glad competitions are not going forward is sad to me.

Last edited:

ancientpeas

The Notorious SEW
Record Breaker
Again.. they aren't glad the competition is not happening. They are resigned to the fact that asking Skaters to come into a covid hotspot to compete is unfair and unwise. They are glad that decisions are being made that protect skaters, coaches and people who work in the arenas.

A lot of the athletes are in their teens and early 20s. They are not the group that are really at risk. Coaches and people who work in the arenas tend to be older and more potentially vulnerable.

Back in the late summer I was pro trying to run these events as long as circumstances allowed. The US is going to run theirs. It sounds like Russia, China and Japan will run theirs. There will be skating. Canada is taking a more cautious approach. We are a more cautious people perhaps.

People can be mad about the SCI being cancelled all they want but it is being done for the good of many rather than the specialized enjoyment of a few. I think if you were to ask most people in Ottawa they would say it is a necessary evil to keep the schools and businesses open. We really can't afford another lock down. You can't allow this event to take place and not allow other events to take place. People will cry favoritism and whine about their "right" to entertainment. You can't allow everything (because it is impossible to have the kind of over sight you would need for literally dozens of different hockey, volleyball, or soccer events without even factoring in concerts, plays and dances) so you, in order to be fair, allow nothing. Other countries will make different choices no doubt but for now most people in Ottawa are more concerned with getting through what might be a very difficult winter for us (given the doubt cohort of Covid 19 and the flu) than with sporting and leisure events.

kan01

Final Flight
Country
Romania
Other countries will make different choices no doubt but for now most people in Ottawa are more concerned with getting through what might be a very difficult winter for us (given the doubt cohort of Covid 19 and the flu) than with sporting and leisure events.
I get what you're saying. What I was saying is I personally find it sad that there are skating fans wishing competitions will get cancelled, wishing SA, Rostelecom, etc will be next and always expressing how ok this is. (The context happening to be SC-my bad for ranting a bit off-topic) That's all. I did not mention Ottawa, was speaking more in general. I'm in Bucharest, the situation is the same here with similar weather and all-they just closed restaurants, cinemas again... As you may know, Crystal Skate was supposed to be held in Bucharest, Romania and was cancelled too.

ancientpeas

The Notorious SEW
Record Breaker
I get what you're saying. What I was saying is I personally find it sad that there are skating fans wishing competitions will get cancelled, wishing SA, Rostelecom, etc will be next and always expressing how ok this is. That's all. I did not mention Ottawa. I'm in Bucharest, the situation is the same here with similar weather and all-they just closed restaurants, cinemas again... As you may know, Crystal Skate was supposed to be held in Bucharest, Romania and was cancelled too.
If the Russians or Americans cancel their events I will eat my hat. I'm also pretty sure China will run theirs. I think Japan is actually doing very well and they are a culture that seems to accept mask wearing and from what I understand their numbers are pretty decent.

The only event I think might be cancelled is the French one. I'm surprised at the curfew thing. I don't think Canadians would accept a curfew. We were told to stay home and such but I don't think anyone was ever fined for being out and about at night. They only, very recently, started fining people for holding parties and such and as far as I know no where had a curfew.

So I think you will get at least 4 of 6 if not 5 of 6. What the fields in those events will actually end up looking like is anyone's guess at this point.

Please be safe in Bucharest. (And anywhere else the numbers are bad)

kan01

Final Flight
Country
Romania
So I think you will get at least 4 of 6 if not 5 of 6. What the fields in those events will actually end up looking like is anyone's guess at this point.
To be honest, I'm more excited to see Russian Cup than the 5 left. Not gonna lie, I was counting the days to see my fave, Jason Brown, at SC.

russell30

Final Flight
What a year !!! and shame for the skaters! who have prepared under tough guidelines...Not sue where this is all heading, I feel mass gatherings will be something in the past for some time, so it doesn't look good lets say for Tokyo and Beijing Olympics! I feel sporting events will now be under different guidelines (as per country) but the venues will only be partially vacated (and I feel this will be likely for some time!) Maybe the ISU may need to look at holding virtual competitions for the 2021-2022.

As for the rest of the GP don't know its come at a wrong time as for most of us its the winter and the C19 on the increase again!

Maybe National's would run but it looks very doubtful for European's, 4CC and even World's...2020-2021 season has been terribly affected..lets hope by July of 2021 things may have improved slightly and 2021-2022 season can be better under certain guidelines and venues at partial capacity. As for Beijing I think it could be cancelled and the younger skaters would have to wait until 2026!

Edwin

СделаноВХрустальном!
Record Breaker
Only a readily available and effective vaccine will change this trend, and that can easily still take half a year to develop and then still has to be deployed over the population.

gkelly

Record Breaker
This whole season is a big mistake. If you must do this, then do like the NHL did, and isolate skaters in a safe location with adequate facilities (Japan?) and have all the events in one location with limited fan access.

That's really not feasible for a worldwide sport for which most participants pay more for training than they receive in income from the sport, and in which many of the participants are minors who need adult supervision.

What location do you propose that should be?

Who is going to pay for travel and living expenses for all the skaters, parents, coaches, and (mostly volunteer) officials?

The NHL is a lucrative professional sport practiced by professional adults and centered on a single continent.

Elite figure skating is not.

A lot of the athletes are in their teens and early 20s. They are not the group that are really at risk. Coaches and people who work in the arenas tend to be older and more potentially vulnerable.
Yes.

Officials also tend to be older, especially at the international level.

cheerknithanson

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I feel absolutely terrible for the athletes that were supposed to compete. 7+ months of no competition is a long time and I imagine they miss the rush they get from competition.

blue_idealist

Record Breaker
I feel absolutely terrible for the athletes that were supposed to compete. 7+ months of no competition is a long time and I imagine they miss the rush they get from competition.
Yeah, if Canada isn't going to run any competitions here, they should give the skaters the option of going somewhere else like the States or Europe, even if it means quarantining. Otherwise, our skaters are going to be very behind those of the rest of the world, except for those from other countries that are having no competitions, like Australia and the UK.