2020 Warsaw Cup: General Info | Page 2 | Golden Skate

2020 Warsaw Cup: General Info

Harriet

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Probably yes... So probably no Challengers again before 2021 :/ I still have a hope for other international events like Volvo Cup though, the numbers are slowly growing in Latvia, but it´s still pretty stable considering other countries. So we will see, if they want to welcome the international skaters inside the country.
Don’t forget Cup of Tyrol, Austria may be able to manage. And yes, Volvo Open and IceLab International may be able to proceed, with care. With Volvo Open the bigger risk will probably be people coming in and bringing the virus with them, rather than people travelling there and bringing it home - it depends if Latvia wants to take that risk, but they do have procedures in place for managing it re athletic events in general.

ETA: Volvo Open has just extended its deadline for entries by name from 15 to 25 October, so it seems likely they want to go ahead.

Last edited:
Country
Norway
Don’t forget Cup of Tyrol, Austria may be able to manage. And yes, Volvo Open and IceLab International may be able to proceed, with care. With Volvo Open the bigger risk will probably be people coming in and bringing the virus with them, rather than people travelling there and bringing it home - it depends if Latvia wants to take that risk, but they do have procedures in place for managing it re athletic events in general.

ETA: Volvo Open has just extended its deadline for entries by name from 15 to 25 October, so it seems likely they want to go ahead.

Cyp of Tyrol I totally forgot. It may be an option, it´s also a while until it starts. Yes, I noticed that Volvo Cup extended the deadline, it probably means they want to go ahead. Probably we will have an entry list next week :)

Orchidea

On the Ice
I heard that the status of Warsaw Cup will be decided today. Golden spin will probably canceled but not because of Covid but there are some problems with the rink...roof fell in as I understood and the have to repair it before Europeans.

Edwin

СделаноВХрустальном!
Record Breaker
yes, figures in Europe look very bad now and are still rising.

Health authorities are preparing for the worst, an overload of covid patients and not enough ICU and ventilators available.

Austria is running a competition with masks everywhere: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=009hCWhFK-E LOL, the venue is called 'No Worries Arena'

Last edited:

care bear

Rinkside
The roof was damaged after the earthquake in March this year. The EC will take place in the new Zagreb Arena, not in the old.

Harriet

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
While we wait to find out if this will go ahead there have been a bunch of additions to the entry list...go figure. One in Ladies - I couldn't pick who at a quick scan - four in Men including some French skaters, and one German team in Dance.

Country
Norway
While we wait to find out if this will go ahead there have been a bunch of additions to the entry list...go figure. One in Ladies - I couldn't pick who at a quick scan - four in Men including some French skaters, and one German team in Dance.

https://twitter.com/AnythingGOE/status/1321023264748113920 - In ladies Maia Mazzara and Lea Serna have been added. Frida Berge from Norway WD that´s why there are 30 to start.

In men Larry Loupolover and Daniel Grassl have been added, including the Frensh skaters - Aymoz, May and Tesson. https://twitter.com/AnythingGOE/status/1321021982629134336 - And Sondre WD :(

Country
Norway
It´s a bit weird they are adding if they are not planning to arrange this now, at the same time, just reading another day of record with new cases in Poland - 16 000 new cases yesterday....

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Time schedule has been added and entries updated (see OP).

Harriet

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Sadly for the organisers, but probably sensibly, there have been quite a few withdrawals this evening: Gutmann, Lang, Linnamae, Schermann, Szigeti, Ostlund and Toth in Ladies, and Csernoch, Kholpov, Maszljanko, Mate Borocz, Sahaka, Solomin and Todeschini in Men.

cabres

On the Ice
That's how it looks here:

Sanaemilia

Rinkside
Country
Poland
Official statement:

We are deeply sorry to inform you that ISU Challenger Series Warsaw Cup 2020 is cancelled.
We as the Organizing Committee were doing everything to conduct the event as it was planned and were solving every problem, including the decreasing number of judges, sanitary and hotel restrictions, freeze of local fundings.
The reason of the cancellation is the sudden withdrawal of few countries in the men cathegory. In just a few days the number decreased from 11 to 3. Today in the morning it was still 5. Unfortunately, 3 countries in this cathegory means it is no longer considered as challenger.
We are very sorry for the inconveniences it may cause to you and we hope that upcoming year will bring us more joy and positive decisions and we will meet on Warsaw Cup 2021.
Thank you for understanding.

Country
Norway
It´s the right decision given the situation. It´s not worth taking the risk. The situation is much worse now than when Nebelhorn Trophy was arranged.

Harriet

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
I am sorry for all their hard work not coming to fruition, especially so close to the event, but honestly, it’s probably for the best. Poland’s not the only country in a bad COVID-19 situation right now; so are many of the countries the skates were coming from. Best for everyone to stay at home and not risk adding fuel to any virus fires.

MaHa75

On the Ice
But i think it was wrong to cancel 1 day before skaters planed to travel! they should have been cancel already weeks ago...this is absolutely unoproffessional!